Star Wars Battle Front

intrizic

I've been playing the past couple days, and I gotta say on the Hoth assault, I've seen the Rebels win once in I don't know how many tries. Is that been your guy's experience, too?

And is there a way to 'stay' on one side or the other? I keep getting bounced between Rebels and Imperials... is that just a beta thing for testing purposes? Or when it actually launches will you be able to 'pick' a side and stay on it?

I only played like 5 rounds with 2 being on imp side and 3 being on reps..won all the rounds while rep but lost both of the imp rounds,heh.The side switching is usually a game mode thing setup by the server so that if one side has some players drop then the next respawns will switch sides.

I can see they have leveling ramped up too because I was already seeing some rank 10s and it hadn't even been live for a day,lol.Plus lag could be an issue in these betas as they like to run diagnostic apps in the backround,though it ran very well for me so I actually am planning to pick this up when it comes out in a few months:).

I sometimes run a TS server and would be happy to fire it up at release if theres enough interest in some team action.Its been years since ive done ladder matches in bf1942 and would kinda like to get back into it again...as long as my arthritis lets me that is,heh.

So if there's no story single player campaign, I'm going to pass. Battlefield isn't really my thing, and the pew pew laser guns are fun for awhile, but ultimately I wish there were more options. I mean, there probably will be, this is only Beta. The game is real pretty though and I had a blast playing it this weekend. They also need to really balance that Hoth map, I hope they collected useful data to fix that thing.

They capped leveling to 5 for the beta. I played quite a bit over the weekend. Lovely game, very frustrating though. They need to do a lot of work on the spawns.

Heyas BG!

What issue were you having with the spawns? I thought they did pretty good... I've yet to be 'spawn camped' because there are so many spawn points, and they 'move' as the enemy advances (i,e, on the Hoth map, the spawn points move closer to the generators to save both sides time running and running and running and....)

Just curious what sorts of issues you were having?

Sammy - I do think there is something 'up' with the Hoth map.... or, people playing the Rebels just ignore the victory conditions. The Imps just need to push forward, mass killing along the way. The rebs can only attack the AT-ATs at a certain time, I think. I dunno. I've done a few dozen rounds and have only seen the Rebs win twice. Maybe I've just been on at odd times, or maybe it's just coincidence. :)

Sammy, there is a single player/co-op campaign mode...the only part of it available for the beta was the survival model. It is not just a MPvP game.

@indytims - you must not have played as much as I did. On Hoth, it was quite easy to get spawn camped as a rebel. My favorite part was when I would spawn with the AT-AT staring down at me. So much fun.  :rolleyes: 

Battlefield would allow you to pick a spawn point, I see no reason not to have that option for this game. Also, the partner spawn was very wonky. Sometimes I would have the option, other times it was greyed out, and then sometimes it wasn't there at all.

If imperials got on top of the Ion Cannon hill (which it was far easier for them to get there than the rebels), then they had full view of the entire battlefield with the exception of inside the base. I racked up quite a kill count hitting poor dudes as they spawned outside from that vantage point.

As to gameplay on Hoth, it all depended on having a good team. If the rebels pushed the relay point closest to the base, they could secure that and then have a nice crossfire towards the second relay point against the imperials. Holding that first relay allows the y-wings to pound the AT-ATs early and lets you put severe damage on both AT-ATs. Very tough for the imperials to dig their way out of that if it happened.

A good imperial team could use the AT-STs to make sure they won the two relay points early, and that forces the rebels back with trying to hold on two fronts. By forcing the rebels to split, the vehicles of the imperials becomes too strong of an advantage because they are hard to take down.

Once the relay point moves to inside the rebel base, that is the next period where rebels have a chance to do good damage to the AT-ATs...but again, that all depends on how the first stage went. If the rebels were doing well, then they could destroy the close AT-AT at this stage, and the far AT-AT wasn't far behind. If the imperials had pushed them hard, then the rebels were typically trapped in the cave awaiting slaughter.

I was really miffed that there was no strategic map available for this game. They really need that so that people can better coordinate tactics. Trying to use the team chat just sucked.

That's true - I only played maybe 3-dozen matches or so. Some of those guys said they'd been sitting there literally -all day-. But in my time in the game, I DID spawn under an AT-AT foot once (which I thought was hilarious), and as a Rebel spawning inside the confines of the base, I did spawn right as an Imp was running the hallway and started blasting me before I could really do anything. But I was never actually 'camped'. I'll be playing some more of course and maybe I'll start to see it then. :)

Picking a spawn point would be -awesome-. There -were- several times I kept -hoping- that I would spawn at a certain location, but it does seem pretty random. I -am- grateful that as the mission progresses, it does move spawn points up so you have less distance to traverse to get back into the battle.

And YES! -Some- sort of Strategic map definitely would help! I was hoping that was just a 'beta thing', and that a map would be available at launch perhaps....

It does feel like a more kid friendly version of Battlefield, with no map for picking spawn locations (although you can spawn on a buddy) and powerups all over the map, no server picking. Although I don't think that is a bad thing necessarily. Overall its was pretty quick to get into a match and get playing. I wish there was some kind of clear indicator to let you know when you can shoot the AT-AT. Flying around the the vehicles was pretty fun as well, overall it really has that stars wars feeling. The split screen co-op missions are a nice touch too, played a bit with my son. I will be picking this one up for his birthday for sure.

They capped leveling to 5 for the beta. I played quite a bit over the weekend. Lovely game, very frustrating though. They need to do a lot of work on the spawns.

Ahh...I asked in game chat and someone said it was up to lvl 10,thanx for the clarification:)

As to choosing spawn points...I can only assume it wasn't in the demo/beta yet mainly due to not really having the strategic map active yet.This seemed to just be to show off the graphics and basic gameplay.To me it wouldn't be a BF game if they don't have the abilitie to choose spawn locations,,thats a huge thing in team play.If this game doesn't have that then I probably wont be buying it.

Played the hell out of this. On the Hoth map, played enough I got into every vehicle and played as both Luke and Vader multiple times. Playing as Rebels, and once the other rebels figure out what they needed to do to win (hold the Y-wing points for as long as possible... got up to 10 Y-wings in one attack once... bye bye AT-AT), take ION grenades for AT-STs, and we were winning the Hoth assault more times than the empire was. 

Funny thing, my only real complaint was that stupid one shot sniper rifle... dang people are stupid crazy accurate with those. getting sniped from clear across the map...

Absolutely loved getting into an AT-AT... and the sounds when it fires... ahhh such bliss

Can't wait for the full game!

Funny thing, my only real complaint was that stupid one shot sniper rifle... dang people are stupid crazy accurate with those. getting sniped from clear across the map...

There were plenty of reports of massive cheats going on, mainly dealing with 'aimbots' or whatever those programs are that help you auto-aim. One guy on Youtube even had a video advertising his cheat program, with a long 6 minute video showing how it worked. Not sure if the video is still there (or if they'll find a way to counter programs like this), but like you, I found myself being on-shotted -very- often, and even when squaring off against guys with regular rifles, some of them -never- seemed to miss. Obviously - they could just be really good, too. ;)

I played the heck out of it up until it shut down, and I didn't see nearly the success with the Rebel side of things vs. the Imperial side. I saw a total of four rebel victories compared to a few dozen Imperial victories - it was very lopsided. But like you, I think once folks realize the objectives and how to win, it will force the Imps to do something other than bum-rush the Rebel locations willy-nilly, as well! :)

Overall, I am still not 100% sure I'll pick it up. The graphics and sound were, of course, as immersive as any Star Wars title I've ever played. From the voices over the comms equipment, to all the weapon sounds, and yes, to the AT-AT movement, sound, and style... I -felt- like I was INSIDE 'The Empire Strikes Back', my favorite of all the Star Wars films.

Definitely a blast, and I'll have to see how it goes. Maybe I'll wait until the first price reduction... or maybe not. ;)

-Tim

• 1 month later...

This was discussed earlier, no true campaign, just some horde modes with bots. The game is a pretty fun immersive experience, but I feel like a lot of reviewers and players are giving it a lot of slack because it's a AAA Star Wars FPS that doesn't completely blow, and Disney is launching their 20+ hype train for the franchise next month.

I got my smiles and nostalgia from the open beta, I don't think I'll jump in unless I see something really special. It sounds like there's plenty of support planned for the game, if you're willing to pay for DLC.

This was discussed earlier, no true campaign, just some horde modes with bots. The game is a pretty fun immersive experience, but I feel like a lot of reviewers and players are giving it a lot of slack because it's a AAA Star Wars FPS that doesn't completely blow, and Disney is launching their 20+ hype train for the franchise next month.

I got my smiles and nostalgia from the open beta, I don't think I'll jump in unless I see something really special. It sounds like there's plenty of support planned for the game, if you're willing to pay for DLC.

Yes 50 dollars for a DLC season pass seems way to crazy high.

• Like 1