Voice-only RPGs?

Finally noticed/used the PS4's "party" function. Basically allows a voice chat for up to 8 people across their PS4s. 8 people is a good number for a pen and paper RPG. There's other voice programs out there, but this is the first one that has me considering a RPG group.

Anyone done any RPGs where players are only using voice only online chat?

Seems like one of the less dice intensive RPGs, like one of the white wolf games, would work well with voice only. D&D would probably struggle using the honor system for dice rolls.

D&D is not really viable because it is more tactical miniatures system than simple RPG.  Something that is based on theater of the mind is a better choice (e.g. 7th Sea or Fate, both of which actually discourage mapping).  Even for those, we have found that an online mapping option helps.

I'm actually playing a game through https://roll20.net/ with friends around the US.  This resolves both the need for maps and a dice-roller.  There are also sites like https://rolz.org/ which provide group rooms for rolling dice without the added functionality of maps and such.

Virtual roleplaying *does* work. I'm not trying to discourage or anything but want to stress that you need to think about how you play when face-to-face and decide what system to use based on the resources you have available when playing online.

Hmm...seems like you are echoing my thoughts on the subject.

Got a copy of Vampire: The Dark Ages (Vampire: the Masquerade in a medieval fantasy setting). Rules very much support heavy role play, and it doesn't seem like dice would be a huge issue, so long as players can adhere to an "honor system" regarding roll results. Doesn't seem like I'd need a board, miniatures, or really any visuals. Voice-only may even work out better, as it would be easier to not assign the player's appearance to the character they are roleplaying.

You think I could get this to work with voice chat only, or do you think it would be a losing battle?

Well, I would ask if you have played (or run in this case) Vampire in a face-to-face setting.  You'll have to make a decision about the honor system for rolls up front but if you are on computers instead of PS4, that can be addressed.  The question is "in practice, what do you experience when playing face-to-face?"

We always find it helpful to be able to throw up a basic map on a white board to make sure everyone gets what is going on.  That's why we use Roll20.  Those are things that differ for every group though so I can't tell you how it will work for you or any group you play with.

The biggest issue with not being face-to-face is the ease with which people get distracted though.  Will your players be distracted by the TV they are sitting next to?  Will someone walk in and expect them to do something else because after all they are just sitting and talking with someone online and that is not as important as cleaning out the gutters...  And that will be true regardless of whether or not you can make you system work with the arrangement.  Make sure that your players are responsible enough to be online and actually committed to playing or it will be an exercise in frustration.

The biggest issue with not being face-to-face is the ease with which people get distracted though.  Will your players be distracted by the TV they are sitting next to?  Will someone walk in and expect them to do something else because after all they are just sitting and talking with someone online and that is not as important as cleaning out the gutters...  And that will be true regardless of whether or not you can make you system work with the arrangement.  Make sure that your players are responsible enough to be online and actually committed to playing or it will be an exercise in frustration.

See, I seem to find this issue whether face to face or not, so the nifty bit on the PS4 is that they can play games while we play.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

The amount of attention it takes to play a game and then also hold a conversation related to creative thinking.

Ask wives about video games and the number one reason they hate then is the block conversation because the normal person can't hold a conversation with one person, let alone 8, and role play.

I think it is a cold idea but until there are visual aids on the store you might want to try a different platform to roleplay.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are willing to use the Comp instead of the PSN, I encourage and support roll20.net as your resource.  Amazing Free setup, and it only gets better if you become a contributing member.  Great for many things.

As for Mind's Eye Theater, V:TM or DA is a great setting and base resource.  Something to remember, as the Storyteller, you can choose to be responsible for ALL dice rolls.  The players don't need to know what the rolls are, especially if you are trying to keep it "Voice Only."  They only need to know how their action plays out.  Every time the player Levels up, I would have them e-mail you a new copy of their Character sheet so you can balance your records.  Make sure your bookkeeping and their bookkeeping are in accordance. That is what I'd do, were it my group trying to play over a consoles network. 

As for Mind's Eye Theater, V:TM or DA is a great setting and base resource.  Something to remember, as the Storyteller, you can choose to be responsible for ALL dice rolls.  The players don't need to know what the rolls are, especially if you are trying to keep it "Voice Only."  They only need to know how their action plays out.  Every time the player Levels up, I would have them e-mail you a new copy of their Character sheet so you can balance your records.  Make sure your bookkeeping and their bookkeeping are in accordance. That is what I'd do, were it my group trying to play over a consoles network. 

Totally forgot, yes, that would make it much easier. Just do all the dice on my end.

The amount of attention it takes to play a game and then also hold a conversation related to creative thinking.

Ask wives about video games and the number one reason they hate then is the block conversation because the normal person can't hold a conversation with one person, let alone 8, and role play.

I think it is a cold idea but until there are visual aids on the store you might want to try a different platform to roleplay.

Maybe you can't, but I can certainly get into pretty deep philosophical conversations with guys on Planetside 2 late at night. It's true, if we face heavy fighting, there is distraction. I don't think you could run an overly complicated RPG, especially one prone to lots of rules lawyering (D&D...).