Total War Warhammer Pre order shenanigans and Chaos

sergentzimm

Its a trend these days to release half a game and then charge hundreds for DLC's for the next couple years. I stopped playing destiny on the PS4 because it was always going in that direction. Its a shame people can't build a full game and sell it for $60 these days. The only way people can change this is if you don't buy the game. 

• Like 2

I gotta disagree - with things like this you do get a full game. I'm a huge total war fan and every game is complete when released. The amount of content given in vanilla Rome 2 for example is huge - maybe 15 factions. The DLC, which is all maybe 5 bucks, adds a number of factions. I like it a lot - it encourages the developers to keep developing. Shogun 2 is another great example - you get a TON of factions with just the vanilla game, but they do add a significant amount of content later that can be bought anywhere from 1 to 5 dollars.

• Like 1

Yeah, its hard to argue that DLC isnt an attempt to nickle-and-dime a player base, but if there is a demand for it, software publishers are gonna keep doing it.

I rarely ever buy DLC. Usually either the product is good enough to stand on its own, or its bad enough i wouldnt waste another penny on it.

yeah...

but when the developers ask for pre-orders and don't deliver... like Halo Master Chief and Assassins Creed... there isn't any amount of justification that can change the fact that developers are of control with the money grabs.  DLC and pre-order bonuses started out on the right track, but there have been some serious mistakes by some big name companies.

I gotta disagree - with things like this you do get a full game. I'm a huge total war fan and every game is complete when released. The amount of content given in vanilla Rome 2 for example is huge - maybe 15 factions. The DLC, which is all maybe 5 bucks, adds a number of factions. I like it a lot - it encourages the developers to keep developing. Shogun 2 is another great example - you get a TON of factions with just the vanilla game, but they do add a significant amount of content later that can be bought anywhere from 1 to 5 dollars.

Yes but this is like Total War: Rome not including Romans. 

PC collectors editions are spendy for sure,,and this one is tempting.

Normally I wouldn't be interested however,just a few months back I Ebay`d my collectors edition box and contents of Vanilla WoW for 275.00..thats of course without the account.Unopened Vanilla collectors editions can go into the low 4 figures from what I had seen.

Total war makes such awesome products and this one being what can be considered one of the last major product releases of the old WHFB world may just make this another good investment.If I do get it I may even leave it unopened just for that reason.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If anything I think games that push DLC after DLC encourage piracy more than anything. The biggest things that make me want to put out actual money for a game are free patch support and mod content.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-05-total-war-warhammer-will-have-official-mod-support

Despite last years stance on TWWH not having mod support,they have done a 180 and it will indeed release with the modding toolset for it.

Of course there will be official expansions as well,im sure.

• 1 month later...

Should be named, Total War [big bad swear word]ing piece of bull[big bad swear word]. Jesus christ...they have a higher level of difficulty besides normal?? Stupid ass [big bad swear word]. [big bad swear word]ing super enemy generals that can fly across the whole board so you get gang raped by three armies at once. Brilliant. Then when you look at an enemy city, it looks like there is only a small garrison there...but no...there's a whole [big bad swear word]ing other army that you can't see... two campaigns over in about an hour. So much bull[big bad swear word].

Well my dwarfs made it to turn 9 before they were gang raped by 5 different orc armies....I did beat grimgore though...so that was a highlight. But old Thorgrim bought it to some no named orc lord. This game is just [big bad swear word]ing stupid. I can't recruit more armies and yet I'm constantly outnumbered if I leave my city. So you just sit there in your city for 30 turns until the massed enemy armies eventually come knocking at your door?

Oh, and what the hell is up with the load times?? Jesus christ...I play the game 1/3rd of the time, the other 2/3rds are watching the load bar crawl along.

No offense to you BroG, but...

popcorn_yes.gif

I've never been a fan of the Total War franchise for some of the reasons you mentioned here and so even with the snazzy reskin I decided to skip this one.  You're making me happy I did so.  (I'm waiting for the next rant to be "Why am I better off having the computer fight my battle when I need to minimize casualties in a game where the point is to play the battles?" which is really my biggest rant about the whole thing.  There is no way that I can "fight a battle" and lose only one man but somehow the computer can do so...  What am I missing?)