Fallout 4

The settler limit is 10 plus charisma which with the bobblehead, charisma gear and chem boosts, can be way over 20.

I'm unclear if Temporary boosts to CHA apply to the settler limit (like CHA gear and chem boosts). I imagine they do not, as it would mean settlers coming and going depending on what you where or chems briefly in your system.

As for the bobblehead, I note that characters that have less than 10 when they get an attribute bobble head seem to gain a rank in the attribute intense training perk, which has me unclear if it makes getting past 10 impossible if you take the bobble head prior to having a base 10 stat. Anyone tested this?

Due to my hatred of synths I have been working on building a settler murder machine. Since synths are infiltrating settlements, I figure the only way to be sure to kill them is to build a settlement that automatically traps and kills anything that wanders in.

Wonderful.

I'm pretty sure that the synths are only able to "possess" your settlers during a certain step in the main quest line. As far as I can tell, the main quest has 3 stages: (1) exit 111 and explore, (2) You kill the guy that kills your spouse, and then (3) resolve the institute/brotherhood situation by picking a side. The brotherhood shows up in force right after you kill your spouse and, simultaneously, the synths start possessing your settlers.

I know that when my character sided with the institute, the synths stopped attacking my settlements. I haven't followed the other arcs far enough to know if their resolution will halt synth invasions. I have another character which hasn't kill his spouse yet, and his settlements have not even once been attacked by synths. I've also yet to see the brotherhood show up in force.

I'm unclear if Temporary boosts to CHA apply to the settler limit (like CHA gear and chem boosts). I imagine they do not, as it would mean settlers coming and going depending on what you where or chems briefly in your system.

As for the bobblehead, I note that characters that have less than 10 when they get an attribute bobble head seem to gain a rank in the attribute intense training perk, which has me unclear if it makes getting past 10 impossible if you take the bobble head prior to having a base 10 stat. Anyone tested this?

Wonderful.

I'm pretty sure that the synths are only able to "possess" your settlers during a certain step in the main quest line. As far as I can tell, the main quest has 3 stages: (1) exit 111 and explore, (2) You kill the guy that kills your spouse, and then (3) resolve the institute/brotherhood situation by picking a side. The brotherhood shows up in force right after you kill your spouse and, simultaneously, the synths start possessing your settlers.

I know that when my character sided with the institute, the synths stopped attacking my settlements. I haven't followed the other arcs far enough to know if their resolution will halt synth invasions. I have another character which hasn't kill his spouse yet, and his settlements have not even once been attacked by synths. I've also yet to see the brotherhood show up in force.

Spoilers?

Spoilers?

First, your enlarged "spoiler" is a typo on my behalf. It should read as the mentioned before in the same paragraph - it should read:

The brotherhood shows up in force right after you kill the guy that kills your spouse and, simultaneously, the synths start possessing your settlers.

Second, it's not really a spoiler. I mean, within the first 10 minutes of playing the tutorial (vault 111), the guy shows up and kills your spouse. You getting him back doesn't really seem like a spoiler to me. Just seems like obvious plot progression. Sorry if that spoiled it for you.

And as for that synth thing, we've been talking about synths and other fallout 4 content already, which seems very much like a spoiler, assuming the above short blurb spoils it for you.

What spoilers? What the [big bad swear word] is going on in the commonwealth? I don't care.

My SETTLEMENT is my life.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=568760236

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=568759135

I want to post mine....Any clue how to send screen shots from the PS4 to your PC?

Killing your wife would be as bad as if you had to kill your son.

In a game? Personally, I, the player, don't really feel attached to my spouse or child due to the rather short exposure in-game. I can role play my character's feelings, but it is just a game. Kinda wish the tutorial was longer, so you could get more attached to your family, as I think the game would be more compelling that way.

Anyway, pretty sure it illegal to kill children in video games in the states, hence why there are so few children in fallout 4 and why the ones that do exist are invincible. Honestly, the sheer lack of children in this game series has never made sense, as it seems like there are far too many adults to for the apparent lack of reproduction...How many raiders did I kill today? 5, 10, 20? How many children have I seen in the entirety of my travels in the commonwealth? Maybe 20 total children in the entire game. So where are these raiders coming from?

But I digress. Sorry about the spoiler bit, I really didn't mean to give anything away.

I did figure out how to transfer screen shots from the PS4 to the PC. Capure Gallery and then "copy to USB." Yeah, there isn't a better method.

Let's see, this is my Abernathy Farm....

post-1222-0-02826400-1449527601_thumb.jpg

And this would be a screen shot from my favorite random place I've found so far. No spoilers on where I found it...

post-1222-0-13341700-1449527602_thumb.jpg

EDIT: actually...should really make a thread for this...

Okay, so a bit of rant, but I've been doing Brotherhood quests for achievements, and I gotta say, these guy are villains in FO4. And if they are not good, who are the good guys? I'm not even seeing grey, just multiple black factions (as in the colors, not races)

In FO3, it really seemed like they were good, or at least the best in a bad situation, but FO4 they are racist, isolationists, which are invading the commonwealth for selfish reasons. And then, they keep going on about their good cause. It just really bugs me.

They are similar to 40k's space marines, but at least the SM have the Emperor to tie them to humanity. The Brotherhood doesn't really seem human in this game. They have detached themselves too far from humanity, so they seek to destroy traces of what they were, which brings them shame. They are like if Nazi's didn't care about Germany's survival....which may have been true, but that is the best analogy I can think of. In FO4 they exist as invaders of the commonwealth, as they don't seek to save it, but they only desire to destroy the personal threats which have emerged their.

You have the Synths, which as far as I can tell, are basically slaves. The Railroad exists to free them, but their numbers are very few, so considering them a faction is somewhat misleading. If anything, they victims or casualties of the conflicts of the other powers, but lack their own goal beyond survival. I haven't done many of their quests, so I could be wrong here.

Then the institute, which are the slaves' owners and very opposed to getting their hands dirty. As a faction, they are scientists through and through, with the commonwealth being an emotionless experiment which they are undertaking. They present strong contrast to the hatred that brotherhood exhibits, but they too, are not good guys, as the concept of good is not something they grasp with any reality. I have completed the Institute quests, though I did so with an uncharismatic and low IQ character, so I may have missed things that could have been.

Beyond that, you have several more minor factions:

Super Mutants: Technically humans, or former humans, depending on your stance. Low IQ, high physical abilities. Unclear faction goals and constantly shifting leadership. Could potentially become allies, but seems very clear that no one is actually trying to accomplish this. I really want the option to play as a super mutant....

Ghouls: As super mutants, former humans, or humans, depending on your stance. Ageless, and unclear reproductive capacity. They seem very keen on being part of humanity, but are always rejected. In many respects, they are the lepers of the FO4 setting.

Robots: Not a single sane robot in this game. Very funny. No faction per say, but many have aligned with other factions (or former factions).

Minutemen: Although they present as a faction, and a good one at that, I've not been able to progress any quests which lead me to believe they have a function other than being a militia protector of the settlements. It's like the Sim-city Defense Force....

I suppose the Raiders and the Gunners are factions too, though they seem to function more like disposable NPCs than as any sort of faction.

Wow. So I've been tinkering with how far I can advance the main quest without picking a side.

I did the bunker hill battle where I had an in with all the factions battling. So I just walked around and picked up weapon off the dead. No one shot at me. It was very funny.

Anyway, I did start another new character under the premise of getting every stat to 10 BEFORE the bobbleheads, so I can get 11s in everything. I'm almost done, like 5 more levels (and then finding the bobbleheads...).

I was very surprised how little difficulty I've had without all those perks.

What spoilers? What the [big bad swear word] is going on in the commonwealth? I don't care.

My SETTLEMENT is my life.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=568760236

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=568759135

So, did you know that scattered throughout the Commonwealth, are these wonderful magazines which will give you more options in the settlement building?

"Picket Fences" is the magazine name.

I am using this mod. Only the one Vertibird, Two different style doors used around the settlement and hospital beds in the clinic are used. Everything else is in game settlement items. The doors and beds are not seen in my photos. They are still WIP areas. 

There is a bug or exploit, whichever you decide, that creates more space. Grab any gun(cheap guns mostly pipe pistols). Drop guns the more the better rate. Enter into Settlement build mode. You can scrap or store guns you have dropped. The game thinks they are part of the settlement and will erase space. This bug can be used many times. The problem is on consoles with limited memory space. It can be used but the larger your settlement the more likely the game will crash. Also the area starts to lag and frame rate drop. 

One other thing. All items are scavenged. Just roaming the wasteland like a pro.

I am using this mod. Only the one Vertibird, Two different style doors used around the settlement and hospital beds in the clinic are used. Everything else is in game settlement items. The doors and beds are not seen in my photos. They are still WIP areas. 

There is a bug or exploit, whichever you decide, that creates more space. Grab any gun(cheap guns mostly pipe pistols). Drop guns the more the better rate. Enter into Settlement build mode. You can scrap or store guns you have dropped. The game thinks they are part of the settlement and will erase space. This bug can be used many times. The problem is on consoles with limited memory space. It can be used but the larger your settlement the more likely the game will crash. Also the area starts to lag and frame rate drop. 

One other thing. All items are scavenged. Just roaming the wasteland like a pro.

I'm already running into those lag issues with the "recommended" space on my PS4. Thanks, though.

On a similar bug note, I'm told that if you have Dogmeat "inspect" the "your special" book, there is a way to max out your starting stats without perks. I haven't tried it.

I'm already running into those lag issues with the "recommended" space on my PS4. Thanks, though.

On a similar bug note, I'm told that if you have Dogmeat "inspect" the "your special" book, there is a way to max out your starting stats without perks. I haven't tried it.

It works, I did it several times on PS4. I wanted to increase my Charisma for settlement purposes without sacrificing my character's other perks.

It works, I did it several times on PS4. I wanted to increase my Charisma for settlement purposes without sacrificing my character's other perks.

There's no level cap, so you don't sacrifice anything by using perks to increase your stats - this lack of level cap certainly has me changing the way I play the game. My current character used perks to raise every stat to 10, prior to collecting the bobbleheads, so they can all be 11s. Yeah, so I'm 50-something and I'm just starting to explore the non-stat perk options. Been having fun with this one.

@PAXMILES:

The Brotherhood has never really been what you would call "good".  They are simply the 'lesser evil'.  They are certainly better than Supermutants, raiders, and the Institute.  The do have a code, and for the common settler they do provide protection, when it supports the Brotherhood, or leaves them alone.  Of course, the common settler has no reason to get on the Brotherhood's 'bad side', being human and without advanced technology.  In FO3 the BOS seemed 'better', because that chapter actually "splintered" from the main theology and provided much more humanitarian assistance to the locals.  They also got censured by the main faction.  If you get on the Prydwyn and read some of the terminals about Elder Maxson, you see reference to Elder Lyons and the splintering.  Fallout is not about a 'good' vs 'bad' scenario.  In fact, in FO3, New Vegas, and FO4, none of them had a 'good' side.  It was simply the side that was 'least bad' that you get to choose.  So far, it is similar in FO4.  About the only 'good' faction is possibly the Minutemen, as they are completely reorganized and implemented by the PC.  That said, the Minutemen had become corrupt at one point, and theres no telling if they will get corrupt again.

This is one of the RP points that my wife and I dislike about the Bethesda versions of Fallout.  In FO1 and FO2 you were a hero on an epic and heroic quest, first to save your entire vault and then to save your entire village, and in the process you end up saving humanity from a great evil.  In FO3 your motive is "find my dad", which then transitions (potentially) into "make clean water for the Captial Wasteland" (which is somewhat noble I guess. It does help a bunch of people).  In New Vegas, your motivation is "find the guy who shot me", and then "choose who controls the Hoover Dam and therefore runs New Vegas".  Completely unheroic (and thus, IMO, the worst plotline in the series).  In FO4 you still have a selfish motivation, "find who took my kidnapped son", although it portrayed as less 'selfish' because it involves your child.

Anyway, none of Bethesda's Fallout plotlines have really involved good vs evil.  There is no good side.  In their Fallouts, the question is either to choose the least evil faction, or be selfish and choose what gives your character the most power.