Anyone here playing Stellaris?

I had not had time to sit down with it until last night but when I finally got into it I was kind of shocked at the level of detail.  Seems to be true to Paradox with enough to manage that you are probably missing something (if not multiple somethings).

Curious who's playing and what kinds of impressions and experiences people have.

• Like 1

I've been playing it a bunch.  Overall I'm really impressed.  Essentially the game is Europa Universalis but in space, oh and way better in just about every way.  I usually spend a TON of time in EU on pause dealing with redirecting armies or reading text or trying to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing.  Not so in Stellaris, I mostly spend the game chugging along exploring the galaxy or trying to figure out if I'm ready to launch a new war or tweaking planetary setup.  The AI seems much improved as well, it doesn't just declare war constantly like the EU ai did.  I even played some multiplayer with a friend yesterday, it surprisingly turned out to be a fun experience. Usually those realtime games are slightly infuriating to play multiplayer because someone is always pausing, but Stellaris seems to be in a great spot where there wasn't any need to pause.

I have been playing a quite a bit, but not getting far as I keep restarting.  While there are some relatively big bugs and balance issues it is very good out of the box for a Paradox title, though they have been much better about that since the disaster that was HOI3.  They also seem to have built a very interesting framework that they can flesh out nicely with their free updates and DLCs.  

I have been a pretty big Paradox fan for the last decade, and have been saying I wanted them to develop a new Space/Fantasy IP for a long time now.  I have been curious what they could do with the Grand Strategy genre when they weren't constrained by trying to replicate historical outcomes.

I am enjoying it now and looking forward to seeing what they can do with it as time goes by.

The two Paradox have mentioned as being worked on are:

•Fixes to the Ethic Divergence and Convergence issues. Currently, Pops tend to get more and more neutral (they lose Ethics, but rarely gain new ones.)

•Late game crises bugs. There were some nasty bugs in there, blocking certain subplots and various surprising developments.

I don't know if it is a bug, or WAD and poorly implemented, but it seems Sectors don't build/upgrade buildings very well if at all.

I also saw a guy say that his Admiral cloned herself when he hit the split fleet button, and heard at least one other person say that they saw leaders changing gender at least, if not race as well.  Those are unconfirmed though.

I guess calling those big bugs might be overstating it.  The release version of the game is very playable and fun.

A nice start to a game just went sideways on me 37 years in.

My Arthropoid Despotic Hegemony was doing relatively well and came across a weak neighbor.  He owned 3 planets in 2 systems, his capital was closer to me than the other 2 planets were.  I DoWed and went after the 2 outer rim planets, thinking that was safer than going after the home world right off.  His fleet was no match for mine and I easily made my way through his space destroying all of his Stations on the way in; including destroying his only fleet and the Spaceport at his homeworld before moving onto my main targets.  Once I got to the system with the 2 target planets I destroyed the Spaceport and he suddenly surrendered, leaving me no choice but to accept it.  This trapped 95% of my Fleet and 3 Armies (2 Assault armies and an Elite army) well behind enemy lines with no way to get home.  Oh well, I will wait out the 10 years, re-DoW him, take the home world and then get the boys home.

Nope.

Now the part that was my fault, was that I didn't pay enough attention to suppressing the resistance (though as they were in their own Sector I don't know what options I had) and suddenly a new enemy fleet spawns, with 7 Destroyers - of my own design - (I just build my first Destroyer and had a second on the way) in a system with no Spaceport and stomps my Army transports and my ~20 Corvette Fleet almost before I can hit the pause button.  <_< 
  • Haha 1

Yeah, the mods are all over the place.  A week in and roughly 1000 mods out already.

I finally got the hang of local space and have gotten to the point that I have the sector tutorial up.  Clearly too much adulting in my life right now and it is getting in the way of my games.

Well, I have made sense of a lot of things so far...  I've figured out how sectors work (and how I screwed up the one I created).  I've fought and won a couple of wars (and figured out that vassalization is the long game and not what I wanted without a lot of influence to spare).  I've played the pacifist explorer bit for the most part and gotten some cool techs and bonuses out of it.  At this point, though, I need to mix things up a bit (and fix the silly mistakes I made in the way it handles things).  Before I do that though, I have not figured out the ground armies...  Is there a tutorial for ground armies that I have not discovered yet?  Is there a tech for transports that I have not run across?

Any army capable of transport has a native transport already attached.

EDIT: There is an embark button but I don't remember where it is and I away on vacation atm.

I have not figured out how to get an army of of its transport without invading though.

• Like 1

Any army capable of transport has a native transport already attached.

EDIT: There is an embark button but I don't remember where it is and I away on vacation atm.

I have not figured out how to get an army of of its transport without invading though.

If you right click on a planet there is an option to unload the soldiers.

I actually ran into my first big bug.  Playing as your friendly neighborhood fungal federation builders. I had a neighbor with +175 relations, but when trying to get them to an alliance I got 'Differing War Philosophy" with a -20 score.  That pretty much makes an alliance impossible.  Turns out this is a bug thats only supposed to apply between pacifist/militarist philosophies, I found a thread about it on the paradox forums that included a link to a mod that gets rid of it.  Now I'm trying to recruit the 4th member to my alliance so I can make a federation.

I have been playing and am quite happy with it. They are up to patch version 1.0.3 so they have been responsive in fixing stuff. 1.1 is supposed to come out next week and update more stuff.

My only two problems; Sector governors are stupid; Corvettes are too good, really no reason to build anything bigger because of the dumb fleet management in battle.

I really don't get it.  I just lost my first game to an AI.  When I declare war, the enemies can surrender and that's that.  When the AI invades my space they can rampage and kill and I can't surrender or negotiate.  I wish the game mechanic I am up against wasn't so obscured.  

Yeah, I have been playing...started a war that was easy, but the mechanic is odd for sure...and I am not really getting what I want out of the war.  Plus I was unhappy with a few things for tech trees, so understanding a few things more going to restart a new empire.

Sectors confound me...other than create them and throw planets you don't worry about?

The game though has me completely sucked in....very dangerous.  Getting better about hitting pause a lot to readjust things :)

• Like 1

Sectors are vassal states from CK II.

It's just like being the king and having dukes.  You don't have any managemental control over the fiefs that belong to the dukes but you collect a tithe.  You want to make sure that the sectors you create are kind of balanced as they are independent realms that need balanced minerals and energy, etc. or they don't function properly and your tithe goes down.

I am looking forward to the Clarke ( 1.1 ) patch that should come out soon. LINK

It should make Sectors usable and clean up some of the problems wth corvettes and fleets. I hope. I had to stop playing for a few days when I noticed my sector governors putting robots on food tiles and removing advanced structures for basic farms. 

I had to stop playing for a few days when I noticed my sector governors putting robots on food tiles and removing advanced structures for basic farms. 

Did you have it set to produce surplus food?  I have not noticed my governors being particularly stupid but then I make sure that their sectors are fairly balanced when I set them up and prime them with directives to produce specific resources for me.