Anyone here playing Stellaris?

When I get to my 6th planet, my first colony is moving along at maybe 10 pop. my colony numbers 2 and 3 are getting to 5 pop, and colony 4 is just growing pop2 or 3.

So when I must make my first Sector I usually have to sacrifice my first colony.  Currently the AI prioritizes pop growth by building as many farms as possible and removing blockers. While selecting not to redevelop existing tiles helps, the selection to respect tile yields is ignored. With no redevelop selected, all those farms it builds are stuck as farms after the pop is full. But if you remove the limit on redevelopment, it is really stupid. So if you have a fully developed planet, the sector can maintain it. This is supposed to be fixed.

Corvettes will be nerfed with the 1.1 patch (no longer able to stack evasion bonuses).

I think they will still be necessary, just won't be impossible to hit :)

Looks like the beta for 1.1 is available on STEAM now for Stellaris.

1. Right-click on Stellaris and choose "Properties"
  2. Click on "Betas" tab
  3. Select "1.1.0_beta" (if you can't see it, restart Steam)
  4. Download update
  5. Version should be 1.1.0

Here are the patch notes....it looks like Corvettes actually took a hit in their thrusters...all of them have had their evasion values dropped.

##############################################################
######################## VERSION 1.1.0 #######################
##############################################################

###################
# Features
###################

* Strike Craft attack behavior was changed
* It is no longer necessary to control planets to demand them in war, but controlling planets that are set as wargoals now generates more warscore
* It is now possible to set a custom ruler/heir title for your custom empires
* It is now possible to write a biography for your custom empire
* Added an Influence reward for establishing communications, or conversely being contacted
* Collection of strategic resources on planet tiles is no longer suppressed by buildings
* Added settings for AI aggressiveness in the galaxy setup screen
* "Shipwright" mandate for democractic empires has been reworked
* Added resource reward to Raid on Smugglers event
* Individualist empires will no longer generate election candidates with slaver mandates, and Individualist Pops are less likely to vote for candidates with slaver mandates
* Slaver mandate no longer possible if slavery is outlawed
* It is now possible to set difficulty in multiplayer
* Symbols of Domination is now available for everyone
* Platypus species portrait and Paradox empire flag is now available for everyone

###################
# Balance
###################

# Technology
* Technology costs now increase by +10% per owned planet (up from +0%) and by +1% per Pop (down from +2%)
* Unlocking Spaceport technologies now makes you more likely to get research options for new reactor techs
* Spiritualists and Materialists now get tech progress towards Frequency Tuning for researching Space Whales

# Ethics
Fanatic Individualist
* Pops are now more unhappy in collectivist empires
* No longer have increased ethics divergence

Individualist
* Pops are now more unhappy in collectivist empires
* No longer have increased ethics divergence

Fanatic Xenophobe
* Rivalries now provide 50% more Influence

Xenophobe
* Rivalries now provide 25% more Influence

Fanatic Xenophile
* Alliance Influence cost reduced by 100%
* Maximum number of embassies increased by 2

Xenophile
* Alliance Influence cost reduced by 50%
* Maximum number of embassies increased by 1

Fanatic Militarist
* No longer gains additional Influence from rivalries
* No longer have an increased Influence cost for being in an Alliance

Militarist
* No longer gains additional Influence from rivalries
* No longer have an increased Influence cost for being in an Alliance

Fanatic Pacifist
* Pops are now more unhappy in militarist empires
* No longer increases Food output, but rather reduces growth needed for a new Pop by 30%

Pacifist
* Pops are now more unhappy in militarist empires
* No longer increases Food output, but rather reduces growth needed for a new Pop by 15%

# Components
* Strike Craft engagement range was significantly increased
* Strike Craft launch time reduced from 5 to 3 days
* Fighter movement speed increased from ~2 to 3.5
* Bomber movement speed increased from 1.5 to 3
* Chemical Thrusters Chance to Evade reduced from +10 to +5
* Ion Thrusters Chance to Evade reduced from +20 to +10
* Plasma Thrusters Chance to Evade reduced from +30 to +15
* Impulse Thrusters Chance to Evade reduced from +40 to +20

# Buildings
* Research Institute modifier to research speed reduced from +10% to +5%
* Colony Shelter modifier to ethics divergence reduced from +20% to +10%
* Empire Capital-Complex can now only be built on a capital world

# Government forms
Theocratic Republic
* Additional Core Planets reduced from +2 to +1

Transcendent Republic
* Additional Core Planets reduced from +4 to +2

# Traits
* Aggressive - fire rate bonus reduced from +20% to +10%
* Butcher - army damage bonus reduced from +20% to +10%
* Glory Seeker - army morale damage bonus reduced from +10% to +5%

# Modifiers
* Youthful Elite modifier effect on leader lifespan reduced from +50 to +25 years

###################
# AI
###################

# Misc.
* Computer-controlled Empires will start outlawing AI over time during a certain Crisis
* Increased negative opinion scaling for relative power of subjects
* AI will now colonize far away systems if COLONIZE_NON_ADJACENT define is enabled
* Fixed a bug where the AI would not use planetary edicts due to too small stockpile cap
* Empires that were previously controlled by a player (for example if said player drops in multiplayer) will now refrain from making any major changes to the country for a period of 10 years
* Fixed a bug where AI was modifying their species with bad traits, effectively giving them lots of traits
* Fixed a bug where military focused sectors would not build military stations
* Fixed an issue where the AI would not enslave any Pops

# Diplomacy
* AI will no longer accept a white peace when they are winning in warscore
* AI is now more open to trading access, migration rights and (for some personalities) research treaties
* Fixed a bug where AI would offer peace deals that gave allies' war goals to the player
* Fixed AI spamming the player with military access offers
* AI is now more aggressive against easily defeated targets

# Economy
* Fixed an issue where the AI would not disband ships even when running a heavy energy credit deficit

# Sector
* Respect Tile Resources setting will now prevent sector from building the wrong type of building for a tile regardless of special circumstances
* Improved the way sectors determine which resources the country needs when constructing buildings
* Fixed a bug where sector AI would move Pops back and forth
* Fixed budget issues that were preventing sectors from properly managing spaceports and construction ships

# Warfare
* Improved military tactics and handling of units
* Improved handling of military fleets vs. transport fleets
* AI now fights Crises
* Fixed issues where military fleets would not move
* AI should be better at trying to regain control of occupied planets
* AI should be better at trying to invade planets taken by ""AI uprisings"

###################
# User Interface
###################

* Diplomatic notifications and pop-ups have been improved
* End of combat UI has been improved
* Colony Ships now show which Pop it is carrying
* Localization of armor/shield penetration updated
* If a weapon has both shield penetration and a corresponding reduced damage to shields the two effects are replaced by a single line: "Ignores X% Shields"
* Habitability icons in galaxy map and systems view have been improved
* (BETA) Added a new experimental option for GUI-scaling in the options menu

###################
# User modding
###################

* Ported system for weights/triggers on songs from HoI4/EU4
* Fixed so that effect set_name can use localization system
* Moved Domination victory condition into defines
* Added NOR operator
* Species Appearance screen is now moddable
* Species City Appearance screen is now moddable
* Ship Appearance screen is now moddable
* Added num_energy trigger
* Reading a single on_action entry from multiple files will now append the events to the list entry rather than overwriting it. This should allow more mods to be compatible
* Prescripted countries can now set the attribute "disallow_editing = yes" to disable the edit button in the Empire selection view before game start
* Added an alert to tell the player that a research field is missing a Scientist

###################
# Performance
###################

* Optimized daily AI calculations
* Fixed frame rate drop when having one or more fleets selected

###################
# Graphics
###################
* Lighting for ship preview images has been improved
* 8 new event images added to the game
* Textures for Massive Reptilians have been improved
* Improved textures for space event assets
* Optimized textures for event assets
* Increased texture resolution for ancient drone station
* Optimized textures for pirate ships
* Updated textures for generic station
* Increased texture resolution for AI Core
* Optimized textures for AI ships
* Improved texture for Arthropoid colony ship
* Added cover art for Digital OST

###################
# Bugfixes
###################
* Military Station maintenance is now correctly discounted by 25% instead of increased by 75%
* Fixed negative opinion modifiers being applied to owners of planets that the Prethoryn Scourge is purging
* Extradimensional Invaders should no longer spawn inside Fallen Empire borders
* Reduced chance of generating the Improbable Orbit anomaly
* Fixed the Master's Teachings edicts "Philosophical Mindset" and "Warring States" not being applied after event project finished
* Fixed "Colonial Failure" anomaly event handing out a Colonization tech you already had
* Fixed an issue with the VO not triggering for the mining station tutorial mission
* Researched robot Pops are now always listed, but are not buildable if AI policy is set to Outlawed
* Injured Queen project is now properly cancelled and visual asset removed when another Empire researches it first
* Species Procurement event chain descriptions now correctly refer to planet names
* Various localization bugs have been fixed
* Fixed outdated Avian name list titles in Brazilian Portuguese, French, Polish and Spanish
* Fixed some faction events not printing planet names properly
* Loyalist-affiliated candidates now display proper faction names in Election view
* Fixed observation post events sometimes not printing planet name correctly
* Changed the way native reservations are placed for colony event related to colonizing planets that have primitive natives
* Fixed a bug where missiles could appear on the galaxy map
* Ring World habitability-trait now has proper localization
* Fixed a bug where Destroyer Assembly Yard didn't require the correct Spaceport level to build
* Fixed an issue where trait randomization didn't respect opposing traits
* Fallen Empires are now able to build armies
* Fixed an exploit where you could reduce the cost of resettlement by moving pops around on the same planet
* Newly enlightened countries should no longer be despicable neutrals
* Fixed right click not working to give additional orders while in FTL transit
* Fixed an issue where embassies and rivalries could remain after an empire was annexed
* Fixed an issue where you could always enable edicts
* Fixed Swarm Infestors and Constructors sometimes not reinforcing properly
* Robot Pops should no longer get shuffled ethics from divergence
* Heirs now keep the dynasty name of the ruler in monarchies
* Added missing localization strings for leaders who gained the arrested development trait
* Fixed Power Overwhelming achievement
* Fixed Domo Arigato achievement
* Fixed Elixir of Life anomaly potentially spawning multiple times if not researched
* Fixed Living Metal deposits not being minable
* Fixed Sublight Probe event chain sometimes breaking after combat with the Salvage Skippers
* Fixed being unable to change speed with (-) and (+) on American keyboard
* Fixed bugs related to Ethics Divergence. Pops should no longer drift to "neutral" ethics. Drift towards empire ethics is slower than drifting away from
* Fixed a bug where Frontier Outposts in sectors would cost no influence maintenance
* Fixed a bug where ship_accuracy_add was not being calculated correctly
* Fixed a bug where assigning ethics to newly generated pops would cause incorrect ethics divergence.
* Custom ruler and heir titles will now be properly saved and loaded.
* Fixed armies being stuck on planets
* Planets recaptured from the AI empire will no longer randomly become Tundra worlds
* Fixed the AI empire having highly self-destructive ideas about AI legality

• Like 1

Amusing that this is covered (negatively) in the patch notes above...

I've got an interesting problem and I'd like to see if anyone has come across a solution yet.  I'm trying to play a somewhat enlightened empire (I've got my orks and my 'nids who just plow through and destroy everything, purging populations from planets they want but this is supposed to be a less violent option).  The question is what to do with empires that I run across that I don't want to have to slaughter....

So I found a really nice system.  It's got two 80% habitable worlds, a 60% habitable and a fourth planet with a pre-space race on it.  Awesome, I think...  I colonize the bigger native planet, build an observation post and start infiltrating the pre-space culture planning to convert them and bring them into my empire (ideally not as slaves).  I'm a collective so I can always fall back on purging these guys (not that I need to since I cannot colonize their planet yet) but the goal is to diversify my empire and make it possible to colonize more worlds.

The problem is that for some reason this population that I was grooming to adopt into my empire comes out a bunch of raging individualists....  That's two steps away from my minor collective and is enough that as soon as they join me the entire population immediately goes into revolt as a hostile faction.  I buy them off a few times because I have the resources but eventually I have to spin them off as a vassal state.

Now, with an enemy empire I can go to war to liberate planets which creates a variant of the enemy species with my core ethics...  This is great for building pre-made alliance members who now want to help you topple the enemy empire in the next war.  Works great.  But these emerging empires are another story...  Anyone got a good way of bringing them into the empire without creating an immediate enemy-of-the-state faction?

I should add that I have not tried slavery yet as any empire so I don't know if it's where I should be looking...

• Like 1

Ok, I am still really struggling with the war mechanic.  

When I declare war, I am given an option to add War Demands, but because my war score is 0, I can't add any demands.  Then the war happens for a few months, generally I dominate.  During the war, as I gain war score, I am unable to add additional war demands.  The war ends, all my fleets and armies get sent home, and it is a truly unsatisfying experience.  

When I declare war, I am given an option to add War Demands, but because my war score is 0, I can't add any demands.  Then the war happens for a few months, generally I dominate.  During the war, as I gain war score, I am unable to add additional war demands.  The war ends, all my fleets and armies get sent home, and it is a truly unsatisfying experience.  

Hmmm...what happens when you click the "suggested demands" button?  I found the mechanic a bit wonky for sure, but just successfully waged one. I wanted 4 systems from them...but in order to get it right, I had to do it in this order:

Suggest Demands (this basically made all the demands that my allies wanted)

Then, I added the 4 "cede systems"

Now, the warscore was like 400+ which I believe it has to be below 100 in order to start a war...

So, I started to remove things from all my allies until they each had 1 thing they wanted, and I had my 4 systems

Then it allowed me to start the war.

In the end I mopped them, got 3 of the systems I wanted. 

It is weird for sure...but I think I kinda  understand it now.

You should be able to add Demands when you first Declare War; you need to drag and drop them from one column to the other though, which isn't very intuitive.  

EDIT:  Now that I have loaded the game it is even weirder than I remember.  You have to drag the war goal right on top of your civ title at the top of the right hand column.  It should light up with a blue border once you grab a war goal.

• Like 1

You should be able to add Demands when you first Declare War; you need to drag and drop them from one column to the other though, which isn't very intuitive.  

EDIT:  Now that I have loaded the game it is even weirder than I remember.  You have to drag the war goal right on top of your civ title at the top of the right hand column.  It should light up with a blue border once you grab a war goal.

This is because when you are in an alliance or federation you are declaring war for all of the members.  When you are alone, drag the War Demands onto your empire name.  When you have company you can divide up an enemy by dragging some planets to your empire and other planets to another empire.  This is very useful when you need to buy someones vote to start the war by promising them spoils.

This is because when you are in an alliance or federation you are declaring war for all of the members.  When you are alone, drag the War Demands onto your empire name.  When you have company you can divide up an enemy by dragging some planets to your empire and other planets to another empire.  This is very useful when you need to buy someones vote to start the war by promising them spoils.

Ah,that makes sense. I haven't played any one game long enough to do that hey.

I wondered about that...  Federations and Alliances follow different rules but I don't know how different.  I know in an alliance war declaration must be unanimous.  I decline wars all the time because my alliance is full of idiotic AI that relies on me to have the big fleets to win the day.  Now..  I have a vested interest in pumping up my allies so that they serve as buffer states so I feed them spoils of war to keep them useful but still small enough to be in my pocket.  I also tend to build my own allies by liberating worlds from my enemies...  Makes for much better relations when they share your beliefs.

Have yet to build a Federation successfully.  I have alliances that are big enough (four members minimum) but we can't all agree on forming a federation so I don't know the exact rules for them.

And to answer my earlier question, slaves don't revolt unless they *seriously* outnumber the masters.  I actually have run entire planets (up to ~16 pop) with nothing but slaves without problems.  I have problems with a larger planet like ~20 right after subjugation though...  Like, "they're destroying buildings" problems.  Vassals are good.  Protectorates are ok but if you integrate them (very expensive) plan on subjugating them or they turn into a problem fast.  That said, I have yet to go the Indivudualist route with any success for very long.  You might be able to manage if you're willing to liberate and integrate but that makes for slower play than just subjugating slaves and keeping them docile forever but I have just not gotten to a serious attempt there now that I have a better understanding of the mechanics.

You have to drag the war goal right on top of your civ title at the top of the right hand column.  It should light up with a blue border once you grab a war goal.

Stupid me, it was this.  Galactic conquest on!  I think it's the federation president who chooses who to go to war with.  I read that somewhere.  No one seems to like me enough for me to have explored that mechanic.  

My Federation is pretty awesome...it started with me and 3 other races....1 was equivalent to me, the other two were a step down.  Then a "Superior" neighbor to me that I kept giving positive trade deals just up and asked to join us.

What bothers me is these guys fleet sizes are pretty big...Now after playing a while the dude that was superior to me is now equivalent, but he maintains these large fleets that they don't use (10K + )

Then, they declare a war on someone, or someone declares on us...and we go to war.  We always start losing due to small little skirmishes.  Then I will take my war fleet, find an enemy planet, go trounce their fleet and starbase, and start to bomb the planet.  As soon as I do that, then my allies will show up with 30K + worth of fleets....

So, I'm REALLY hoping the AI gets smarter and wages its own wars....it seems to just follow me around.

• Like 1

The AI seems to always follow the human players lead in combats. There was a war I wanted no part of that my alley started. I moved my fleet to the boarder of my territory and suddenly had massive fleet movements to my boarders, which were not even close to where the action is. All the shops sat here the whole time.

• Like 1

I've noticed this problem as well.  I don't maintain large fleets per se but I do tool up *before* going to war so I am ready to hit from the get-go.  The other problem is that civilian ships are worth 1 war-score each time they get killed so your nitwit allies are good for giving away points when they declare war because they never protect those ships.  That's part of the reason I always try to have a fleet in position from the get-go for war.

So generally speaking, how do people handle mixed-race empires?  I've been able to use purges (which is more master race than mixed race) and slavery with the right basic ethos choices but if I go with individualist or someone who does not have access to purges (collective) or slavery (divine mandate, xenophobes, etc.) then I am at a loss for how to handle a mixed-race empire.  Anyone got experience with that?  Do you just research tech and buildings to boost happiness or am I missing another tool in the tool chest?

• Like 1

1.1 seems to have fixed all of the issues I had with war stuff. I thought I was pretty doomed when the advanced start race next to me with "Superior" technology declared war on me and jumped their 1.9k fleet into my territory when I only had about 1.1k of fleet strength, but I managed to run away long enough to build up a fairly equivalent fleet and attacked him after he'd worn himself down a bit taking out some of my Spaceports. The end result was a fairly decisive victory for me, which I attribute to superior fleet design mostly. I had another Empire declare on my protectorate (an early space-faring race that turned independent Empire only to be promptly conquered by me) a few years later and smashed them to pieces as well so the designs still seem to be working into the mid-game!

• Like 1

So generally speaking, how do people handle mixed-race empires?  I've been able to use purges (which is more master race than mixed race) and slavery with the right basic ethos choices but if I go with individualist or someone who does not have access to purges (collective) or slavery (divine mandate, xenophobes, etc.) then I am at a loss for how to handle a mixed-race empire.  Anyone got experience with that?  Do you just research tech and buildings to boost happiness or am I missing another tool in the tool chest?

I'm playing around with Individualist Extreme materialists and I don't get access to purges or slavery.  I just BRIBE BRIBE BRIBE and SUPPRESS SUPPRESS SUPPRESS the leaders and media.   It's like you have to be tolerant of a variety of rabble, just keep control of the media and the leaders.  I haven't even seen if I can explore forced relocations. I have used a few happiness buildings on problem planets, but it hasn't been the initial strategy so far. If I were not flush with resources to quell the masses, I'm not quite sure what my fall back plan is*.  Let them rebel and reconquer them when I am ready?  I'll let you know when my game takes that turn.   *see previous note about not being on Duckman level :) Also, we're sentient foxes called the Ronron'i. (He was a good ol'fox...)

stellaris_avatar_mammalian_03.png

The more I play with it the more I am like, "To hell with this tolerance and juggling BS."  Religious Zealots and Collectives are where it is at.  Don't like someone?  Make them slaves and purge them if they still get out of line.  Your people *like* it when you make an example of the infidels.  You get buildings to suppress ethos drift.  You basically get to play Azimov's stagnant empire and purge the Foundation using fire and pitchforks.  Tolerance is for the birds (and maybe the Foxes).

As for the federations...  Surprisingly, nobody likes joining a federation with the Zealous Evangelists so I never had much experience with that.  My Duckmen made a strong go of it as militarist materialists but in the end I could not keep up with my nitwit allies and their idiocy.  I had next to no crystal for much of the beginning and so I managed to tie up my two closest neighbors but by the time I managed to get them under control all my secondary neighbors far outpaced me and I was playing catch-up.  When you are in an alliance or a federation and someone picks a fight with you the guy who is actually singled out for the declaration gets to define the spoils for negotiations.  As a result, I was the war-like member picking fights and doling out spoils to get the unanimous (for alliances) declaration of war while my annoying neighbor was being attacked and kept sucking up all the enemy star-systems for himself when I defended him.

For a Federation, the presidency rotates every 5 years and while war declarations only need a majority, not unanimity, you can only declare while you are president so it's still hard to grow through war.

• Like 1

For a Federation, the presidency rotates every 5 years and while war declarations only need a majority, not unanimity, you can only declare while you are president so it's still hard to grow through war.

Ando and I were talking about this the other day.  I'm really just getting into what is (I hope), is my first effective Alliance>>Federation.   We shall see.  I am really digging this game, and I'm having fun exploring the depth.  

I'm wondering if there are methods for manipulating that 5 year cycle.  You know, in line with my foxy Extremely Materialistic Individualist...  Oh, no, I just thought of how I might start naming my "scientists"....