Anyone here playing Stellaris?

...with Individualist Extreme materialists and I don't get access to purges or slavery.  I just BRIBE BRIBE BRIBE and SUPPRESS SUPPRESS SUPPRESS the leaders and media.   It's like you have to be tolerant of a variety of rabble, just keep control of the media and the leaders.  I haven't even seen if I can explore forced relocations....  .... If I were not flush with resources to quell the masses, I'm not quite sure what my fall back plan is*.  Let them rebel and reconquer them when I am ready?  I'll let you know when my game takes that turn.   

Pretty sure I was watching the "news" when I wrote most of this...

Oh, I missed the comment about forced relocation.  I have experience with that one.  Forced relocation can be effective depending on what the ethos is.  I have always had the option of forced relocation and have not explored to see if there is a government or ethos that does not have it.  Depending on what is making people unhappy enough to join a faction it may or may not work for you.  Enslaving someone and shipping them halfway across the galaxy to work in a penal colony pisses them off a lot.  They're more likely to destroy buildings (and usually bigger, more expensive buildings) when you try that.  Leaving slaves in place on the planet you enslaved them on for a while is a much better bet.  Eventually you beat them down and they give up their "just enslaved" penalty and you may be able to fit them into the empire.  If it is your own people or someone who has been fitting into the empire for a while then you have to look for drift and see if the problem is a new trait.  Maybe some of your pop is no longer xenophobic and all of a sudden there is a problem with xeno slaves.  In this case just swap them with someone who is xenophobic and you are fine again.

Some problems you just can't make go away (unless you are into purges).  If someone developed an individualist streak and they are trying to rebel because you don't have voting or they are upset that voting is Elitist or Primary Race Only then you're screwed.  They'll be whiners no matter where you put them and they'll start fomenting revolt and trying to turn others to their point of view.  At this point your options are a penal colony that will revolt regularly and then be bombed into submission (problematic because as soon as they revolt one of your enemies can ally with them making it a much bigger war than you want) or putting them to the sword (yay for purges).

So, in my Federation, I can't seem to find a way to actually get a vote during war.

If I'm president, I can declare war, and make my demands.  While doing so you will see the other members of your federation vote no or yes.

If I'm not president, why don't I get an option to vote when one of my allies decides to go to war?  I'm tired of having to shoulder my Federation's wars and not get anything out of them...I mean, at least if I got one ceded planet or something...

But, I fear soon I will have to leave my Federation to have the full freedom to war on my own...

I've been doing Militaristic Individual Materialists so far and loving it. I form no alliances or federations with anyone and just throw my weight around vassalizing and eventually integrating everyone until I rule the galaxy. I've had some issues with uppity sectors trying to assert independence, but my strategy so far has just been to shuffle things around so that I can bring them back under my control, get their happiness up a bit, and then re-sectorize them. I also just took my first go running a game with Hyperspace-only travel and it's definitely interesting for creating choke points and systems that are strategically important for their location along a jump-lane. Good stuff!

If I'm not president, why don't I get an option to vote when one of my allies decides to go to war?  I'm tired of having to shoulder my Federation's wars and not get anything out of them...I mean, at least if I got one ceded planet or something...

Are you guys declaring the war or is someone attacking you?  My problem is that people attack my allies because they annoy everyone, not just me.

I suppose it is possible that the interface does not bother asking you if the rest of your alliance provides enough votes to have a majority before you vote anyway...

I've had some issues with uppity sectors trying to assert independence, but my strategy so far has just been to shuffle things around so that I can bring them back under my control, get their happiness up a bit, and then re-sectorize them.

What are you doing to make them happy?  I mean...  Personally I prefer the "find the instigators and put them to the sword" option because it is effective.  Are you shuffling populations around or building buildings to make people happy or what?

What are you doing to make them happy?  I mean...  Personally I prefer the "find the instigators and put them to the sword" option because it is effective.  Are you shuffling populations around or building buildings to make people happy or what?

The biggest uprising I had was when I tried to sectorize some new planets immediately after integrating them so it was just a matter of letting their temporary -25% happiness modifier for being integrated fall off, but yeah aside from that just building happiness buildings and letting them work their magic. I'd only worry about that if support was growing too rapidly though, usually I can afford to just suppress the media and keep them quiet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...