Are You Ready to Try Out TANKS! at GG

barca

Looking for Volunteers: 1, 2 or 3 gamers to try this out (like a test drive or shakeout cruise)

I have the box.

Unboxed it

Assembled the models

Read the rules

Watched the videos:

How to Play Tanks: Phases

How to Play Tanks: Building Your Platoon

Beasts of War Review Tanks

at about the 19:30 minute mark to 41:30

Played thru - solitaire - at home

Now I am ready to try this out with 1-3 FoW gamers at Guardian Games.

Like to work out questions and ideas before setting up a demo for the public.

Date: Looking at SAT or SUN or MON, JULY 2/3/4 @ GG

Time: Either 12-2 PM or 1-3 PM

Duration: 1-2 hours. One session supposed to be done in 30 min or less

I will need to make reservation by WED, 6/29

P.S. - If u r coming, could you bring a 15mm Pz IV-H or Pz IV-J or Jagdpanther?

I have a STuG and Firefly, plus the 3 tanks that come in the box

I've played 3 games so far, I thought it would be a fun game to play with people who don't want to deal with a 260pg rule book (friends and family).  So far I've found it to be pretty 1 dimensional, but I also haven't played too much with the upgrades for the tanks.  I don't know that I could be there the 4th of July weekend for a game, I've got the whole family getting together that weekend, plus my test is on the 7th so it'll be cram time for the exam.

I agree on the one-dimensional aspect.

It is not really as deep as "Tank Aces" but has some of those aspects (Crew, heroes, upgrades).

That said, the target customer/gamer is not a person versed in WWII miniatures, at least not the FoW crowd.

It is geared toward everyone else.  If someone felt Flames was too complex for them, this may show them the core mechanics that they could get their head around.

Look at this as a Gateway to get some TANKS players into "Open Fire!" or "Team Yankee" or eventually FoW (like an escalation league?)

Some of the TANKS players may never move beyond TANKS.

I am just asking for some experienced players to get them to ask deeper questions and/or poke holes before putting it in front of the public.

From there, I can go on the forum and post questions, discuss issues, and play test the answers/suggestions.

Prob won't scale well beyond 5 tanks per side.

I agree on the one-dimensional aspect.

It is not really as deep as "Tank Aces" but has some of those aspects (Crew, heroes, upgrades).

That said, the target customer/gamer is not a person versed in WWII miniatures, at least not the FoW crowd.

It is geared toward everyone else.  If someone felt Flames was too complex for them, this may show them the core mechanics that they could get their head around.

Look at this as a Gateway to get some TANKS players into "Open Fire!" or "Team Yankee" or eventually FoW (like an escalation league?)

Some of the TANKS players may never move beyond TANKS.

I am just asking for some experienced players to get them to ask deeper questions and/or poke holes before putting it in front of the public.

From there, I can go on the forum and post questions, discuss issues, and play test the answers/suggestions.

Prob won't scale well beyond 5 tanks per side.

On that note, I played a game with my wife, and two games with my little brother and we had lots of fun blowing up each others tanks.  My wife even had fun building her own Sherman, in her words, "It's such a cute tank!"

Agree about it being 1 dimensional.  For us wargamers well versed in the more complicated, it would seem like Chute & Ladders.  But as a hanging out with friends (that aren't deep into wargaming) & drinking beer it sounds like fun.  One of the reasons why I like Wings of Glory, it's simple enough for average people to enjoy & have fun.  But as for tank action, I still like Tank Aces the best.

• Like 1