Get Your Games Started on the Right Foot

Pretty good advice, I'd say.

I agree except for the very last part.  I get that there may be a point of no return in a game, but my bulldog nature makes it tough to quit.

I was up against it with an Y'Varah spam player at the Bay Area open and he offered...twice...to just end it if I wanted to.  I refused both times and at the end of the game. I had nearly won.  It came down to his last shot.  If I had been thinking just a little more clearly, I would have tied, but the HEAT in that building was stifling, and I think I just was tired.  Musta been a hundred degrees INSIDE by the time we were done. 

Anywho he was impressed and told me so.  Hearing that was worth the fight.  He never foresaw the way in which I had planned to win and yes, probability had mounted against me, but the OPPORTUNITY to create a lasting memory for both of us, of pulling victory from the jaws of defeat, is simply too much of an attraction (for me).

I feel like my opponent is stealing his own chance at a glorious comeback if he gives in to despair.  I remember the time Fluger and I played and my five Fire Warriors charged his 5 MegaNobs to claim an objective.  Man what a great moment!  What a great memory.

I will accept my opponents defeat graciously, but I feel strongly that ending it as mentioned in the article is maybe robbing both of you of the chance to see something special? 

I do like the rest of that article though.  Pretty on point.

• Like 2

There are times when it's just pointless, tho, as in literally impossible to change the Game's outcome, and in those cases, there is really no shame in not bothering to play it out. Thinking of my second Game at TSHFT, where I conceded on Turn 3 instead of making his Knights spend 2 Turns getting to and rooting out the Culties who were the one remaining Unit in my Army. Much better to have an extra few minutes to wind down, check out Armies for painting voting, and get all my stuff ready to move on to the next table.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing that, WestRider.

Last year I played my first game at OFCC as if it were a tournament game - I did everything in my power to win, and I tabled my opponent. I wasn't a jerk or anything, but I somehow got into "tournament mode" and as a result didn't have a great game. I don't want to table anyone at OFCC unless they are also cheering my army on (which actually happened during my 5th game).

This year I plan to crack open a beer at 10AM and have 5 of the best games ever. I already talk to my opponents beforehand about terrain and stuff but that article made me really think about how I interact with my opponents during games.

• Like 3

You just had to get a "but" into APs perspective.   :rolleyes:   

:wink:

My bad. I wasnt aware that he was entitled to my full agreement or my full disagreement and nothing inbetween.

I liked most of it.  I said so twice.  I consider it a good and worthwhile read.  This is a forum.  So we talk about it.  So I did.

• Like 1

There are times when it's just pointless, tho, as in literally impossible to change the Game's outcome, and in those cases, there is really no shame in not bothering to play it out. Thinking of my second Game at TSHFT, where I conceded on Turn 3 instead of making his Knights spend 2 Turns getting to and rooting out the Culties who were the one remaining Unit in my Army. Much better to have an extra few minutes to wind down, check out Armies for painting voting, and get all my stuff ready to move on to the next table.

yeah but his article is more talking about you just not having fun and not feeling it or whatever.  Seems a less specific and more general exhortation to be "okay" with someone not "feeling it" so to speak.

I know that when its one gretchen v 2000 points, I might also be ready to call it.  but that wasn't the thrust (That I got) from that part of the article.

Thinking about it some more, at OFCC, I think the line would be if you hit a point where clearly neither of you are having fun. That's really what this weekend is for, and if the Game isn't turning out fun, call it early, work out a score, and go do something that is fun.

+1 million

• Like 1

Thinking about it some more, at OFCC, I think the line would be if you hit a point where clearly neither of you are having fun. That's really what this weekend is for, and if the Game isn't turning out fun, call it early, work out a score, and go do something that is fun.

If a game isn't fun for either player then I'd call it and offer to get a pint or play a game of combat patrol. Or both :smile: