Dead Man's Hand - October 22/23 - Seattle 32-person GT

godswearhats

I'm excited to announce our first 2-day Malifaux tournament! Green Lake Games in conjunction with St Andrew's Pub will be hosting a two day, 5 round tournament in Seattle on October 22nd and 23rd. Key data is below. Prize support includes play mats from Sparkle Party Death Mats, mystery boxes and limited editions from Wyrd and more! Guild scrip will be given to the best placed after victory points, as well as best painted as voted by the participants.

As this is the first 5-round tournament in the Seattle area (as far as I'm aware - apologies if I'm wrong!) I want to make things a little easier so the round time is increased, and schemes are available ahead of time to help ease the crew selection process.

Overview

• 50 Soulstones, single faction, 32 players maximum
  • Gaining Grounds 2016 schemes (full breakdown below)
  • All crews must be fully painted, 3-color minimum
  • 2 hours per round
  • Doors open at high noon on October 22nd, Round 1 begins 1pm
  • $30 entry fee - $25 if paid before October 1!
  • Tickets available via Eventbrite, or you can pay at the door if there are any spots left!

Schedule

• R1 (1pm - 3pm): Collect the Bounty, Standard
    • Hunting Party (Crows.png)
    • Exhaust Their Forces (Masks.png)
    • Catch And Release (4)
    • Frame For Murder (5)
    • Convict Labor (Always)
  • R2 (3:30pm - 5:30pm): Interference, Flank
    • Show Of Force (Rams.png)
    • A Quick Murder (12)
    • Public Demonstration (10)
    • Convict Labor (Always)
  • 5:30 - 7pm: Paint voting and dinner (food available on-site, as well as several local eateries in walking distance)
  • R3 (7pm - 9pm): Stake A Claim, Corner
    • Take Prisoner (Doubles)
    • Leave Your Mark (Tomes.png)
    • Search The Ruins (8)
    • Mark For Death (9)
    • Convict Labor (Always)
  • R4 (12:15pm-2:15pm): Guard the Stash, Standard
    • Show Of Force (Rams.png)
    • Leave Your Mark (Tomes.png)
    • Detonate The Charges (6)
    • Neutralize The Leader (3)
    • Convict Labor (Always)
  • R5 (2:30pm-4:30pm): Squatter's Rights, Corner
    • Exhaust Their Forces (Masks.png)
    • Take Prisoner (Doubles)
    • Covert Breakthrough (1)
    • Convict Labor (Always)
  • 4:30pm-5pm: Prizes, announcements and close

Venue

St. Andrews Bar and Grill - private annex (all ages). The venue is just opposite Green Lake Games, on Aurora Ave N, Seattle (map).

Sponsors

We have three sponsors so far, who have graciously donated prize support to be given out randomly as part of the event. They are:

• Green Lake Games (Malifaux models / gift certificates)
  • Miner Creations (laser cut goodies)
  • Sparkle Party Death Mats (Malifaux gaming mats)

In addition, I'll be spending all my hard-earned Henchman soulstones to bring a full 32-person prize pack to the event, along with whatever else I have. That means Guilders for those who place highly, plus a bunch of mystery boxes and limited edition stat cards.

Edited by godswearhats
  • Like 1

Very cool! I do have one request, however:

Can one of either Interference or Reconnoiter be dropped? Two quarters strats in a single event is a ton of mental burden, and likely to lead to a lot of tedious games. Watching the opposing summoner player solve the puzzle at the end of each turn isn't fun for the non-summoner. Playing Dreamer, I can easily summon and move a model out 13-14" with each AP, not to mention Chompy. Then I have daydream pushes and Lilitu/Doppel lures. The "decision tree" is insane, and involves very little actual player interaction unless we're both summoners, in which case good luck to us in getting past turn 3.

Very cool! I do have one request, however:

Can one of either Interference or Reconnoiter be dropped? Two quarters strats in a single event is a ton of mental burden, and likely to lead to a lot of tedious games. Watching the opposing summoner player solve the puzzle at the end of each turn isn't fun for the non-summoner. Playing Dreamer, I can easily summon and move a model out 13-14" with each AP, not to mention Chompy. Then I have daydream pushes and Lilitu/Doppel lures. The "decision tree" is insane, and involves very little actual player interaction unless we're both summoners, in which case good luck to us in getting past turn 3.

Hey Orkdork,

These are the strategies laid out by Gaining Grounds 2016 for events running in October, which is why they are there (and in that order). I think your point is pretty valid - having been the summoner in a situation like this, I totally agree. Let me think about it some more. I'm tempted to replace Reconnoiter with Guard the Stash.

• Like 1

Hey Orkdork,

These are the strategies laid out by Gaining Grounds 2016 for events running in October, which is why they are there (and in that order). I think your point is pretty valid - having been the summoner in a situation like this, I totally agree. Let me think about it some more. I'm tempted to replace Reconnoiter with Guard the Stash.

Ah, gotcha! It's definitely not a deal-breaker of any kind, nor do I mean to come off negative. I've been a TO many times, and will totally understand if you basically ignore me ;)

Hey Orkdork,

In violent agreement with Orkdork and hoping you are willing/able to make this change.  Quarters games are a good way to create balance against "kill killy kill" crews, but man-oh-man are they my least favorite games of Malifaux, generally speaking!

Either way, thanks for considering the request ;)

NtK

But fast killy crews love table quarters! Kill your way to a win with the opponent split up!

You must play the Viks ;)

But to be clear I'm not talking about imbalance, I'm talking about the nature of the game: one or both players trying to solve a very complex number slide puzzle = mind crushing and tedious as f***.  I can hang in just fine with my crews, too, but it's not a game I enjoy playing compared to the other Strats.

You must play the Viks ;)

But to be clear I'm not talking about imbalance, I'm talking about the nature of the game: one or both players trying to solve a very complex number slide puzzle = mind crushing and tedious as f***.  I can hang in just fine with my crews, too, but it's not a game I enjoy playing compared to the other Strats.

I actually really enjoy that puzzle, either as the summoner or as the aggressive player figure out what I need to kill where. I <3 table quarters. But - I also agree that decision process ads a lot of thinkin' time to a timed round and could cause a disproportionate amount of games not to finish, if that's true, finishing is more important.

I actually really enjoy that puzzle, either as the summoner or as the aggressive player figure out what I need to kill where. I <3 table quarters. But - I also agree that decision process ads a lot of thinkin' time to a timed round and could cause a disproportionate amount of games not to finish, if that's true, finishing is more important.

This has caught me at least once each event... My Vickies play fast but my opponent doesn't always cooperate! Not their fault per se I also love to chatter... :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maaan, I'm sad to say I have to bow out of this tourney... just wasn't able to line up childcare, despite working at it quite a bit.  Everyone I can look to for multi-day care is either out of town or busy with other family obligations.  

This also might hinder Orkdork's attendance because I was his ride AND couch-surfing hookup via my buddy, but I'll let him speak to that.  

So I've got my ticket already; can it be refunded, and if not, can I xfer it to someone else?  

Sorry to miss it... it sounds SUPER fun.  Dang.

Nathan