Abyssals - what am I missing?

Brother Glacius

So I have this abyssal army I got from the KoW2 kickstarter. I thought it would be a perfect army to build and learn with. However, after playing around with the KoW army builder, I'm a bit worried about it. The forces don't seem to have a particular strength. In fact, I have to say that the defense values for the army are kind of on the low side. Some units have regen, but in KoW, that only helps them lose wounds in their own turn, thus, any damage done to them can allow for a failed nerve roll and doom the unit. Are abyssals a true horde army? I can't say I've compared them to other armies yet in terms of points. So maybe they are just cheaper on average? I guess I'm just looking for that aspect that an army is known for, to help me with my initial build.

So I have this abyssal army I got from the KoW2 kickstarter. I thought it would be a perfect army to build and learn with. However, after playing around with the KoW army builder, I'm a bit worried about it. The forces don't seem to have a particular strength. In fact, I have to say that the defense values for the army are kind of on the low side. Some units have regen, but in KoW, that only helps them lose wounds in their own turn, thus, any damage done to them can allow for a failed nerve roll and doom the unit. Are abyssals a true horde army? I can't say I've compared them to other armies yet in terms of points. So maybe they are just cheaper on average? I guess I'm just looking for that aspect that an army is known for, to help me with my initial build.

So, the big thing that helps keep your line intact is inspiring.   Word is 1 source of inspiring per 500 points in armies with low defense values, and 1 per 1000 even in high def armies.  That said, abyssal guard are def 5+ with regen, so they are a good anchor unit.  A regiment of guard can take on average 20 hits at crushing strength 1 before breaking-  2 turns form a high output unit, so you might last a third turn with regen.

Also don't overlook succubi- stealth and ensnare is really good, and they hit like a ton of bricks (especially with the magic items that gives the crushing blow 1, or elite).

You also have a couple options for very cheap chaff- larvae, imps, and fleshlings.  Larvae look like a decent tarpit as well.

You also have a good number of flyers- gargoyles, tortured souls, and darn near every hero.  Flyers are very good, especially for hunting shooters, and forcing your opponent to react to you.

As for list building, they seem like the sort of army where you take one of everything, and each thing has its job.  Even regiments of regular abyssals unlock character slots, which is look fairly central to an Abyssal strategy.

Does that help?

That helps. Its just that the units I got in the kickstarter somewhat limit my choices.

Lower Abyssals/Flamebearers

Succubi

Molochs

efreet

imps/larva?

gargoyles

archfiend

I'm going to look for some extra armor bits that I could use to turn lower dudes into guards. I'm also short on inspiring models too. I think I'll just have to do the best I can with what I have, and then hopefully figure out what I need to expand the army to make it better.

That helps. Its just that the units I got in the kickstarter somewhat limit my choices.

Lower Abyssals/Flamebearers

Succubi

Molochs

efreet

imps/larva?

gargoyles

archfiend

I'm going to look for some extra armor bits that I could use to turn lower dudes into guards. I'm also short on inspiring models too. I think I'll just have to do the best I can with what I have, and then hopefully figure out what I need to expand the army to make it better.

Looking over the Mega army, wow that's a lot of basic dudes.  I would probably build a horde of lowers, a regiment of abyssal guard (armor plates could be made out of sheet styrene), and 2 troops of flamebearers.

Perhaps convert one or two of the Flamebearers into Harbingers?  Flamebearer+ flag or champion bits should work.

The imps are the little guys sprinkled through out the sprues, right?  3 bases of them would make a good screen for the efreet.

Do you know anyone with a Khorne Daemon army you can borrow the characters from?

Look forward to seeing you on the 25th!

• 4 weeks later...

So the abyssals didn't do too badly on their first outing. The molochs did okay, but clearly need to be run as a full regiment. Which means I need to drop another $30 on them...blarg.

Also, I need to find a suitable model to be an abyssal guard. The lower abyssals simply won't convert into a tougher version. The issue is also that I need these models to fit on a 20mm base. I was considering using a GW deamon, but all of them are 25mm and rightly so. So I need a bigger demon infantry that can fit on a 20mm base. Ideas?

So the abyssals didn't do too badly on their first outing. The molochs did okay, but clearly need to be run as a full regiment. Which means I need to drop another $30 on them...blarg.

Also, I need to find a suitable model to be an abyssal guard. The lower abyssals simply won't convert into a tougher version. The issue is also that I need these models to fit on a 20mm base. I was considering using a GW deamon, but all of them are 25mm and rightly so. So I need a bigger demon infantry that can fit on a 20mm base. Ideas?

I couldn't find anything that works as a abyssal guard.  Maybe crawling though reaper bones and D&D prepaints?

Fun fact: 6 large infantry count as a Horde, so unlock more stuff.

found some heads that maybe you could swap?

http://sciborminiatures.com/en_,shop.php?art=1820#i/2013/big/barbarians_helmets_01.jpg

and some spiffy shields:

http://hoardobits.com/cgi/hob/shop.pl?cat1=Bits&cat2=Last%20Stand%20Convertibles&cat3=&cat4=&page=&view=12162013-1-16

the hoard o' bits webiste has tons and tons of bits and aftermarket add ons

After a little searching and some thought, I think I'm going to use beastmen ungors. They have a deamonic look that isn't too far off from the abyssal range and they fit on 20mm bases. I've got some for my beastmen army so I'll be checking scale. Painted to match the rest of the army, I think they will fit right in.

After a little searching and some thought, I think I'm going to use beastmen ungors. They have a deamonic look that isn't too far off from the abyssal range and they fit on 20mm bases. I've got some for my beastmen army so I'll be checking scale. Painted to match the rest of the army, I think they will fit right in.

How armored are the ungors?  Abyssal guard have a fairly beefy defense.