QUESTION of tactics: When is an ARV worth taking?

barca

Depends on the ARV, Bergepanther recovery vehicles give you a front armor 10 side armor 5 tank team, often with a hull MG.  It can attach to normal panther platoons and take hits, all for 10-15pts, so for me it's an auto add.  Other nations don't have as beefy of options and so I don't see them added nearly as often.  They are very situational, and usually do not fulfill their original purpose (unbogging friendly tanks)

I am so going to retool my american tanks.  One platoon will have, with all its attachments:

Jumbo

Jumbo (2ic)

m4 76mm

m4 76mm

m4 76mm (cic)

m4 76mm (abrams)

m4

m4

ARV (hq attachment)

Would take a lot of work to knock out those 76mm with shots first going to Jumbo, then ARV, then m4, then finally 76mm.

I know, I know flank them, gun tank them, etc etc.. but then there is the "where I place them", good US armor players would know how to make thing work, etc etc...you still have to succeed in all that and it will still take a lot of work, or extremely lucky.

The listing for ARV's in the Arsenal section of the handbooks is inconsistent. LFTF does not address ARVs

• In the Axis handbooks, there is a separate section "Recovery Vehicles", does not indicate transport or not.
  • In the Allied handbooks, the ARV's are listed under "Transports"

BTW: Very few ARVs have hull-mtd vehicle MG