The Spartan Two-Step

Brother Glacius

So been an exciting week for Spartan games....first they announce a brand new kickstarter for a 15mm Dystopian Wars game, and then they got promptly thrashed by the community. A feedback poll was put out and now the kickstarter is gone from the web site. Kind of a shame since the thought of a 15mm game set in Dystopian Wars sounds really really cool...but yeah, the track record of spartan seems to be put out a game, put out some support, move to new game, rinse, repeat.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's incredibly difficult to make money on an already made game. Look at Dystopian Wars- you need at least the rule book, a starter fleet, and dice. Maybe a friend or two, but really just someone else to play the game with and a table. If you like the game, you buy a couple more ships, and that's about it. If you really like the game, you'll maybe buy 1-2 more fleets. Maybe. I haven't ran into many DW players with more than two fleets (I have my American and French fleets). After that, you either start releasing campaign books and new models for people to buy, or you... make a new game. Look at it from a Game Designer's perspective: He (or she!) spends a bunch of time and effort making a game. Game gets released. Game Designer fiddles with it for a bit, releases an FAQ or Errata, and now they want to move on to a different game. 

Spartan Games isn't a very big company, so that's probably exactly what's going on.

What I do like is their willingness to listen to the player base and thoughtfully reconsider the direction the company (and games) were moving in. I hope they don't listen too much, as group consensus, and group think make for poor design choices, and compromise waters down and pollutes the choices to the point where no one is happy. :sad:

Still, good on them for reversing course on getting back to the game that made them famous (because no one remembers Uncharted Seas, right? Or Dystopian Legions, right? :laugh: ).

Side note: Does anyone around here play Dystopian Wars?

• Like 1

Bro G and I have a good number of models. I have Brits, Prussians, Ruskies, and Covenant (not all assembled mind you). We have been know to thrown down now and again, but it has a been a while.

I have a Brit Legions starter force; not assembled yet either. 

I think a lot of Spartan's problem is the movement and targeting rules and the ADD nature of their game support. Very finicky and slow to play. But that might be the nature of naval combat? 

I believe that is was a good idea to not go ahead with the KS, but on the other hand 15mm with their universe could have been very interesting.

I don't know of anyone playing DW publicly. I'm sure there are plenty of "garage" players out there. The v2 rules are better than the v1. However, I know they are about to reprint them, and I would wait for the reprint before getting them. They went crazy with the BOLD face in v2 and makes it very hard to read. So I think they are pulling back on that with the reprint.

They do have a set of quick rules, but to be honest, I haven't even seen them. They are called Fleet Action I think. They even have a two player starter for it. But I don't collect either one of those forces. http://www.spartangames.co.uk/prepare-for-fleet-action  this explains some of the changes...which actually sound pretty good.

I've played just a handful of games of V2 and I can tell you that the amount of tokens on the field gets ridiculous. So hearing that the fleet action takes that down to 4 sounds really good. Also reducing the firing mechanics is a good idea...and the reduction to a single template...all good. What I don't know is how the damage stuff works out. If that is like the FSA table..then yeah, that isn't too hot. Maybe I'll pick up the book if GG has it. I have EotBS, CF, and FSoA.