Rate the Last PC/Console Game You Played

Games from PAX that I liked enough to actually buy once out.

Tales from CandleKeep: Tomb of Annihilation - Loving it, the turn by turn moves, having to make the right decisions. The maps are always random so you can go back and play the same level and get totally different tiles. Sometimes it feels like the level ends too soon, but being all random, you never know when you'll find your target or not. hehe

Pylon: Rogue - Kicking my butt, I have like 2 hours in and yet to pass the first level, ROFL

Burned through Ashes of the Singularity + Expansion. Massive scale RTS, basically a repeat of supreme commander. Campaign was super cheesy, awful narrative scripting, and a very un-compelling story.

Game seems rather unbalanced, there appears to be some game ending strategies that are just too hard to stop. Not a ton of micro in the game, it is really all in the macro economy.

Super high tech AI robots that cant drive (actually they all hover) up steep hills makes maps really kind of confusing until you learn the unit pathing the hard way. Two races, not much flavor setting the two apart.

No max population or upgrade caps, but upgrades/max pop caps come at the cost of resources with exponential jumps in cost/benefit.

4/10

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 6:16 PM, Justjokin said:

I've been revisiting CivV and Civ:Beyond Earth.  Both make me miss Alpha Centauri.  I read some reviews of Civ:BE and it wasn't well reviewed, but I'm still having fun with it.  

Those are the games I miss the most from no longer playing games on the PC.

• 5 weeks later...

New PC coming in parts, can't wait to put it together to be able to say I'm playing new games.

Currently playing:
Heroes of the Storm
Need to pick up Star Craft 2 back on just to finish it
Age of Empires 2 HD Edition (For the brother in laws that only invited me to join once)
Pylon Rogue - Played 2 hours, yet to beat the first level, ROFL

Tales from Candlekeep Tomb of Annihilation - Really enjoying this RPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We let our 5 and 3 year old purchase Disneyland: Adventures on the Xbox One during the last big sale with money from Grandpa, thinking they would have some fun roaming around and meeting the characters.  After watching them play for a couple of hours....the wife and I had to buy it for ourselves.

The premise: You are a boy or girl visiting Disneyland, and the Disney characters give you quests to collect items. Sometimes the items are on rides, sometimes they are just laying around on the paths of the park.  Along the way, you are given magical items to help like a magic wand, space blaster, squirt gun or fishing pole.  They have pretty well faithfully recreated the park, although there's like 1/1,000,000th of the people that would actually be visiting the park on any given day to deal with.  The small rides, like Dumbo and the carousel can be ridden, which takes like 30 seconds and is pretty much like the park.  The big rides (Matterhorn, Space Mountain, It's a Small World, etc.) are actually a bit different.  They are set up as multi-part levels based on the lore behind the ride, so to speak.  For instance, the Matterhorn is 3 levels.  Level one you meet Goofy who tells you to jump in a sled to ride down the mountain.  Along the way, you collect coins and avoid rocks/branches.  About 1/2 way down, you have to avoid snowballs thrown by Yetis, and you can throw snowballs back at them.  Each level also has "Hidden Mickeys" to collect, for the above level you need to hit all 9/9 Yetis with snowballs.  Level two, the Yetis have grabbed Goofy, you are on foot and throwing snowballs at a horde of Yetis to rescue Goofy.  Level three you are back on Skis trying to escape the Yetis.

In each land in the park (yes Fantasyland, Tomorrowland and all the rest are there), you have a bunch of collections to complete, like using your wand on all the manhole covers, using squirt gun on all the flowers, etc.  You collect pins for completing quests and collections.  You also collect tons and tons of coins along the way, which you use to buy autograph books and photo albums, each of which is a collection as well.  There are tons of clothes to buy in the stores, you can wear a Buzz Lightyear outfit, dress like the Mad Hatter, all kinds of things.

The last thing I will mentions is this, you can play 2 player couch coop, where you work together to complete all of these.  The coop functions differently to a game like a Lego game, where both players have to be actively moving around otherwise one player gets stuck.  In Disneyland: Adventures, player 1 moves both players around the park, and both players can use the magic items.  In the mini-levels, each player controls their character, but neither is kept from advancing due to one not moving or completing an objective.  This is IDEAL for my 5 and 3 year old, as the 3 year old will simply walk away during gameplay sometimes, not stranding the 5 year old in place.

Overall, this is a great game.  I am probably 40 hours of gameplay in and only have about 55% of the collections.  For younger kids who are into Disney, it's a winner.

Kids: 10/10

Kids at heart: 9/10

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Kelharis said:

We let our 5 and 3 year old purchase Disneyland: Adventures on the Xbox One during the last big sale with money from Grandpa, thinking they would have some fun roaming around and meeting the characters.  After watching them play for a couple of hours....the wife and I had to buy it for ourselves.

The premise: You are a boy or girl visiting Disneyland, and the Disney characters give you quests to collect items. Sometimes the items are on rides, sometimes they are just laying around on the paths of the park.  Along the way, you are given magical items to help like a magic wand, space blaster, squirt gun or fishing pole.  They have pretty well faithfully recreated the park, although there's like 1/1,000,000th of the people that would actually be visiting the park on any given day to deal with.  The small rides, like Dumbo and the carousel can be ridden, which takes like 30 seconds and is pretty much like the park.  The big rides (Matterhorn, Space Mountain, It's a Small World, etc.) are actually a bit different.  They are set up as multi-part levels based on the lore behind the ride, so to speak.  For instance, the Matterhorn is 3 levels.  Level one you meet Goofy who tells you to jump in a sled to ride down the mountain.  Along the way, you collect coins and avoid rocks/branches.  About 1/2 way down, you have to avoid snowballs thrown by Yetis, and you can throw snowballs back at them.  Each level also has "Hidden Mickeys" to collect, for the above level you need to hit all 9/9 Yetis with snowballs.  Level two, the Yetis have grabbed Goofy, you are on foot and throwing snowballs at a horde of Yetis to rescue Goofy.  Level three you are back on Skis trying to escape the Yetis.

In each land in the park (yes Fantasyland, Tomorrowland and all the rest are there), you have a bunch of collections to complete, like using your wand on all the manhole covers, using squirt gun on all the flowers, etc.  You collect pins for completing quests and collections.  You also collect tons and tons of coins along the way, which you use to buy autograph books and photo albums, each of which is a collection as well.  There are tons of clothes to buy in the stores, you can wear a Buzz Lightyear outfit, dress like the Mad Hatter, all kinds of things.

The last thing I will mentions is this, you can play 2 player couch coop, where you work together to complete all of these.  The coop functions differently to a game like a Lego game, where both players have to be actively moving around otherwise one player gets stuck.  In Disneyland: Adventures, player 1 moves both players around the park, and both players can use the magic items.  In the mini-levels, each player controls their character, but neither is kept from advancing due to one not moving or completing an objective.  This is IDEAL for my 5 and 3 year old, as the 3 year old will simply walk away during gameplay sometimes, not stranding the 5 year old in place.

Overall, this is a great game.  I am probably 40 hours of gameplay in and only have about 55% of the collections.  For younger kids who are into Disney, it's a winner.

Kids: 10/10

Kids at heart: 9/10

That actually sounds like something my wife would love (she's a Disney fanatic!). Sadly it doesn't look like they made it for the PS4.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Elex.

Pirana Bytes first foray into sci fi. If you are familiar with Gothic, Arcana and Risen you will already know the ropes. Some of my favorite RPG storytelling. Multiple factions vie for your services. You can only maintain an active alliance with one of them though you can do odd jobs for all. Many quests represent a choice to serve one faction while provoking another. There is no way to progress without making two enemies for every friend. 

Serviceable combat system with a good variety of weapons. Slashing and shooting wildly is never rewarded. You have to approach fights tactically. Most enemies must be avoided early on. Great open world environments that reward thorough exploration. Camera is a bit off. 

Characters are genuinely interesting and have scope and ambiguity. Dialog choices really matter. NPC's remember and repeat things. 

Factions represent play style, character development and story progression. Your skill trees open according to who you make friends with. Good execution of integrated static story elements and player driven events. Good re playability. 

Pretty decent jokes. 

Is Elex an MMO (i.e. persistent) or is it a shared sandbox without end-game and persistence?  Your comment about having replayability caught me off guard unless you mean something like "You can level multiple characters because of the differences in how it plays because of the factions and the dialog options".

Oh, I also need to shout out the inventory system. There is crafting, potions, cooking and so forth but just enough for flavor. It doesn't sprawl past what is necessary for immersion. There is stuff lying about all over the world but real gains in quality gear feel earned. New stuff actually works differently and changes how you play. It's not simply a matter of more damage/protection. Just as with skills you don't get access to everything. The best stuff is gained by faction promotion and will preclude you from the top gear of other factions. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2018 at 9:06 PM, Romans832 said:

The real question is will I ever play it? :/

You should! But only with friends.

I recently played Eco, which is a peaceful resource gathering/building game. The premise is an asteroid is going to smash into your planet in X number of real life days (determined at start of the server). Your goal is to advance in technology to stop it (building a laser). The catch, is that in your plundering of natural resources, you can trash your planet, so you have to balance progress with sustainability. There is a player built economy and system of government where players set their own prices for goods, and vote to enact emission restrictions and what not. Too many skills to do everything so people specialize and have to create an economy.

Probably 20 times slower in pace than minecraft, but at least there is an objective!

Lots of cool concepts, but lacking in features and scale-ability. Also there are a few controls/inventory management things that make me go crazy, so I am shelving this game until it is fully released.

5/10 for gameplay

8/10 for concept

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally pushed through and finished mass effect andromeda. 3/5, I think is a fair rating. 

My third attempt at playing, both other times getting about half way through, burning out and giving up. It's not hard in a difficulty sense, it's tedious and requires endurance to complete. I fully understand why this one flopped, and it's hard to explain, because it fails for lots of little reasons, not any one big reason.

Though the end is probably the worst, just because it's clear that their end assumes that a sequel will be made, so instead of creating a satisfying end that resolves this, they lay the groundwork for a sequel that will never come. I guess if there is a one big reason this game failed, it's that they clearly sacrificed the present game to make a better sequel, which is a huge mistake (unless you are creating the series all at once, like lord of the rings).

• 2 months later...

Dreadnought (PS4) 

2/5

Basically a World of Tanks clone. Supposed to be spaceship combat, but it feels more like flying a Zepplin (which would have been much cooler, in a silly way). The Game wants your money. Freemium, but it's clear they want your money, really badly, probably more than the average freemium game. I did notice a lack of players online. Could be the time of day, but in our 5v5 games for newbs, it was clear that my side only had 3 humans, and the other side was probably all bots. 

I wish they had released the game without the pay stuff, seems like a $10 or $20 game that could be successful if they just didn't try so hard to grab your money once they got you playing. 

Overwatch (PS4 and PC)

3/5

They're doing a free weekend for both platforms (thru the 28th), so I tried both versions. 

Game is basically Team Fortress, but with a larger variety of "classes" and a limit that prevents duplicate classes per team. Each "class" has a few tricks to learn and it otherwise plays as a shooter. Game is decent, but also not really very unique. I like it okay, and played it a bit during the free weekend, but it's not worth $40 on sale to me (yeah, down from $60), and it's especially annoying that buying a copy on the PC doesn't equal a copy on the PS4 (and more so that the accounts track progress seperately). 

Of the two, I liked the PS4 version better. The game has the complexity of a console product. Easier to use on a simple system like the PS4. That said, the difference is very minor, so they both get a 3/5 from me.

Overwatch is a good "gateway" game for getting your kids into really violent shooters. Yeah...

• 4 weeks later...

Warhammer: Inquisitor - Martyr

Game got me to reinstall Steam, of which I had sworn off of, about 4 years ago, as at the time, they had a zero return policy and I had bought an expensive game that wouldn't play. And it wasn't the first time.

1/5. Didn't get through the tutorial. Clunky. Alternates between having you read text and voiced subtitles. Not an "action" RPG in any respect. Really slow paced for the genre. Didn't have fun. Returned it for a full refund. Not a $40 game. That said, I may give this one another chance when the price goes down.

Civilization 6

5/5. Exactly the same as Civilization 5, except it runs much faster. That's it, and that's why this is 5/5 because civ 5 is amazing, but runs really slowly. Oh, review reflects paying ~$20 for the deluxe edition, which is on sale for that on Steam until the 5th of july (2018).

9 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Civilization 6

5/5. Exactly the same as Civilization 5, except it runs much faster. That's it, and that's why this is 5/5 because civ 5 is amazing, but runs really slowly. Oh, review reflects paying ~$20 for the deluxe edition, which is on sale for that on Steam until the 5th of july (2018).

$20?
Thought it was $31.99