paxmiles

Rate the Last PC/Console Game You Played

Can NMS be modded like Minecraft? I'm a huge MC fan, but only because of the mods to build massive automated networks, power plants, intricate logistical networks, and nuclear weapons. Vanilla MC is garbage once you get the sprinkles.

5 hours ago, Duckman said:

I have to admit, Pax, that it amuses me that you are complaining about the fact that it takes lots of resources to lift off but accept as given that space is not worth it.  The argument that you gave about space being of questionable value in real life is even more applicable to lifting mass (like taking off in a plane or spaceship).

What you are calling a waste of time when gathering is actually a form of immersive gameplay.  It's a game that is refusing to give you something for nothing (you have to invest some combination of time, skill and awareness).  To be honest, I find mining and refining fairly easy.  There are lots of tools to facilitate it and unless I run out of inventory space (which has to be managed carefully until you unlock a lot more spaces) I have never lost any resource I have mined or refined.  With my experience in mind I can see the harvesting/refining intended as an immersive experience in the game (forcing your attention usually forces immersion unless there is something distracting in the mechanics).  In Ark you can change the server settings and make harvesting easier which is not possible in NMS.  Most people that I see with custom servers in Ark make resources easier than I think they should be but I agree that the default setting is more grindy than it needs to be in Ark and possibly in NMS (although NMS is really not bad for anything I have made thus far).  The hardest/most annoying grind I have run across in Ark is the grind for more recipes/patterns.

I've been comparing NMS to Elite Dangerous specifically because of the spaceflight component that I wanted to find in NMS and did not.  Regarding the grind, ED is probably as grindy as or even more grindy than NMS but the whole point of the sandbox is supposed to be that you can find something that you enjoy doing to complete the grind and in ED I can do that....  Bounty hunting and (much to my surprise) mining are entertaining to me (and again, to my surprise, exploring is not).  In NMS, there is no enjoyable form of resource gathering that I have found.  While it makes sense to me and has functional tools I don't enjoy running around on the planets I have found gathering stuff and the controls make space-mining a painful experience.

Never played Elite Dangerous or Ark. Not really sure what they are. 

Regarding real life, not a huge fan of planes either. I think they are a waste, at least at the commercial level. We should just be building things closer together. Huge value from a military perspective, though. I will note that nothing I've seen in NMS seems to really take advantage of the military value of space travel (or flight). Can't really shoot things on the planet from space, and most of the spaceship weapons can't affect things on the planet even if you get real close. They're almost seperate games.  

Regarding NMS grinding, yeah, I'm not a huge fan of grinding to accomplish everything, but if it's relaxing or fun, I don't really mind. And I agree, NMS has no enjoyable forms of grinding. For a while, I was real in to fishing in World of Warcraft, and that is super stupid grinding, but it was relaxing. I think if I were having more fun, I'd overlook the above issues.

Someone was mentioning the mod options. So, again, I'm on the PS4 playing this game, zero mod options, slower patch implementation, no keyboard or mouse support....The PC version might be fun, but when I purchased the game, this was all I had and I'm not enjoying the PS4 version enough to justify getting another copy for my PC.

Started playing Kingdom Come Deliverance last week. I like it. 

Fluff and setting is real medieval history. The locations are real. The battles are real battles. The historical references check out. 

Fans of difficult combat will like it. You get nothing in the way of auto targeting or even a reticle. Weapons are heavy and sometimes off balance. Footwork, inertia and follow through are essential. Button mashing always fails. Combat damage is realistic...IE you don't simply lose some amount of health. A direct hit pretty much kills you every time no matter what your level. Healing isn't exactly realistic but wounds impede your progress far more realistically than competitive titles. Different injuries require different measures. 

My favorite bit is the dialogue trees. If your character doesn't have good speech and charisma skills you basically talk like a moron. In order to acquire better conversation options you actually have to get smarter. This means that a lot of the more clever avenues of solving quests will be closed to you if you simply level up your combat abilities. 

I also like that you play a very ordinary character. No nameless warrior escaping from prison with amnesia... you are a lazy, horny teenager with a penchant for practical jokes. The story is genuinely interesting. I don't find myself skipping any cut scenes or dialogues. 

Let's see, got a copy of Warmachine Tactics (on steam for my PC). It's basically a warmachine simulator with rather dated rules (I think it's for the last edition) and they never got around to adding all the units for it.

That said, reasonably fun.

Game play is really, really fast when compared to the tabletop. All that measuring and math and mathhammer is gone, as it does it all for you. AI seems to be really bad, but maybe i'm too good?!?! - seems optimistic that that's the problem. Anyway, it's good, just not challenging. It does really help my understanding of Warmahordes to be able to see the game played like that. Yes, I understand the table top and this are not quite the same game, but it's kinda like dawn of war was for 40k, just a good visual for the game. 

Anyway, also got back into Warframe on my PS4. Game is much better than I remembered it. I recall it being very confusing when I got it, and now it's super relaxed. Not sure if it's improve or I have, been several years.

Dauntless - Interesting version of Monster Hunter

Monster Hunter Worlds - Very interesting game. purchased it to play with the brother-in-laws... ha! not yet 😞
(Which sadly is the normal case)

Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine - was gifted it by SeeSharpist... he was Twitch streaming it, we started geeking out on Eldar lore, and he offered me a free key!
WOOT

Vermintide 2 - picked it up on the latest sale. Not bad...definitely an improvement for the most part on the original. Nice set of maps and such too (so large though). The extra versions of characters is a nice touch. Gives you something to play around with style wise. My biggest complaint is the lack of noise the mobs make. Too often I turn around to see half a dozen chaos dudes right behind me. They really need to make more noise. There is a sound for right before they attack, but if you are currently armed with your ranged weapon, you are SOL. The game is challenging. They really don't need to cheat with super sneaky dudes all the time. That's really my only complaint. Was advised to level up one character first, and then once you reach top level gear, then you can go level the other guys. Currently grinding away with the elf.

1 hour ago, Brother Glacius said:

Vermintide 2 - picked it up on the latest sale. Not bad...definitely an improvement for the most part on the original. Nice set of maps and such too (so large though). The extra versions of characters is a nice touch. Gives you something to play around with style wise. My biggest complaint is the lack of noise the mobs make. Too often I turn around to see half a dozen chaos dudes right behind me. They really need to make more noise. There is a sound for right before they attack, but if you are currently armed with your ranged weapon, you are SOL. The game is challenging. They really don't need to cheat with super sneaky dudes all the time. That's really my only complaint. Was advised to level up one character first, and then once you reach top level gear, then you can go level the other guys. Currently grinding away with the elf.

You get it on Xbox? I was thinking about it when it was 25% off, think i missed that sale. Oh well, next time.

Divinity Original Sin 2 (PS4 version, single player, offline)

I really like it. Very similar to the prequel, but with another plot. No where near finished this one, but I already look forward to another sequel. If you haven't played, it's an RPG like Fallout 2 or arcanum or baldur's gate. You make a custom character, form a party, and explore the game. And the game is set up so you can do most things in lots of ways. Game has dialogue options for in-game conversations and turn-based combat. 

This one added some neat game concepts I hadn't seen. For example, when you add a companion to your party, the companion will ask you what role you need filled and this will determine their starting skills and stats, rather than having a predetermined class for each unique character. Makes it easier to RP taking NPC allies based on their personalities, rather than picking them for metagaming advantages. 

I'm not sure if I can explain others without giving spoilers away. 

More on divinity original sin 2. 

So in the last game, you could go back and complete quests whenever. This game keeps it's "chapters" seperate, which adds to the "actions have consequences" aspect, but also creates potential disasters - I had to start my game over because I found a secret path that allowed me to complete a chapter without gaining much experience and it crippled me for later chapters. Hindsight 20/20...