Rate the Last PC/Console Game You Played

5 hours ago, Duckman said:

I have to admit, Pax, that it amuses me that you are complaining about the fact that it takes lots of resources to lift off but accept as given that space is not worth it.  The argument that you gave about space being of questionable value in real life is even more applicable to lifting mass (like taking off in a plane or spaceship).

What you are calling a waste of time when gathering is actually a form of immersive gameplay.  It's a game that is refusing to give you something for nothing (you have to invest some combination of time, skill and awareness).  To be honest, I find mining and refining fairly easy.  There are lots of tools to facilitate it and unless I run out of inventory space (which has to be managed carefully until you unlock a lot more spaces) I have never lost any resource I have mined or refined.  With my experience in mind I can see the harvesting/refining intended as an immersive experience in the game (forcing your attention usually forces immersion unless there is something distracting in the mechanics).  In Ark you can change the server settings and make harvesting easier which is not possible in NMS.  Most people that I see with custom servers in Ark make resources easier than I think they should be but I agree that the default setting is more grindy than it needs to be in Ark and possibly in NMS (although NMS is really not bad for anything I have made thus far).  The hardest/most annoying grind I have run across in Ark is the grind for more recipes/patterns.

I've been comparing NMS to Elite Dangerous specifically because of the spaceflight component that I wanted to find in NMS and did not.  Regarding the grind, ED is probably as grindy as or even more grindy than NMS but the whole point of the sandbox is supposed to be that you can find something that you enjoy doing to complete the grind and in ED I can do that....  Bounty hunting and (much to my surprise) mining are entertaining to me (and again, to my surprise, exploring is not).  In NMS, there is no enjoyable form of resource gathering that I have found.  While it makes sense to me and has functional tools I don't enjoy running around on the planets I have found gathering stuff and the controls make space-mining a painful experience.

Never played Elite Dangerous or Ark. Not really sure what they are. 

Regarding real life, not a huge fan of planes either. I think they are a waste, at least at the commercial level. We should just be building things closer together. Huge value from a military perspective, though. I will note that nothing I've seen in NMS seems to really take advantage of the military value of space travel (or flight). Can't really shoot things on the planet from space, and most of the spaceship weapons can't affect things on the planet even if you get real close. They're almost seperate games.  

Regarding NMS grinding, yeah, I'm not a huge fan of grinding to accomplish everything, but if it's relaxing or fun, I don't really mind. And I agree, NMS has no enjoyable forms of grinding. For a while, I was real in to fishing in World of Warcraft, and that is super stupid grinding, but it was relaxing. I think if I were having more fun, I'd overlook the above issues.

Someone was mentioning the mod options. So, again, I'm on the PS4 playing this game, zero mod options, slower patch implementation, no keyboard or mouse support....The PC version might be fun, but when I purchased the game, this was all I had and I'm not enjoying the PS4 version enough to justify getting another copy for my PC.

Started playing Kingdom Come Deliverance last week. I like it. 

Fluff and setting is real medieval history. The locations are real. The battles are real battles. The historical references check out. 

Fans of difficult combat will like it. You get nothing in the way of auto targeting or even a reticle. Weapons are heavy and sometimes off balance. Footwork, inertia and follow through are essential. Button mashing always fails. Combat damage is realistic...IE you don't simply lose some amount of health. A direct hit pretty much kills you every time no matter what your level. Healing isn't exactly realistic but wounds impede your progress far more realistically than competitive titles. Different injuries require different measures. 

My favorite bit is the dialogue trees. If your character doesn't have good speech and charisma skills you basically talk like a moron. In order to acquire better conversation options you actually have to get smarter. This means that a lot of the more clever avenues of solving quests will be closed to you if you simply level up your combat abilities. 

I also like that you play a very ordinary character. No nameless warrior escaping from prison with amnesia... you are a lazy, horny teenager with a penchant for practical jokes. The story is genuinely interesting. I don't find myself skipping any cut scenes or dialogues. 

Let's see, got a copy of Warmachine Tactics (on steam for my PC). It's basically a warmachine simulator with rather dated rules (I think it's for the last edition) and they never got around to adding all the units for it.

That said, reasonably fun.

Game play is really, really fast when compared to the tabletop. All that measuring and math and mathhammer is gone, as it does it all for you. AI seems to be really bad, but maybe i'm too good?!?! - seems optimistic that that's the problem. Anyway, it's good, just not challenging. It does really help my understanding of Warmahordes to be able to see the game played like that. Yes, I understand the table top and this are not quite the same game, but it's kinda like dawn of war was for 40k, just a good visual for the game. 

Anyway, also got back into Warframe on my PS4. Game is much better than I remembered it. I recall it being very confusing when I got it, and now it's super relaxed. Not sure if it's improve or I have, been several years.

Dauntless - Interesting version of Monster Hunter

Monster Hunter Worlds - Very interesting game. purchased it to play with the brother-in-laws... ha! not yet 😞
(Which sadly is the normal case)

Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine - was gifted it by SeeSharpist... he was Twitch streaming it, we started geeking out on Eldar lore, and he offered me a free key!
WOOT

Vermintide 2 - picked it up on the latest sale. Not bad...definitely an improvement for the most part on the original. Nice set of maps and such too (so large though). The extra versions of characters is a nice touch. Gives you something to play around with style wise. My biggest complaint is the lack of noise the mobs make. Too often I turn around to see half a dozen chaos dudes right behind me. They really need to make more noise. There is a sound for right before they attack, but if you are currently armed with your ranged weapon, you are SOL. The game is challenging. They really don't need to cheat with super sneaky dudes all the time. That's really my only complaint. Was advised to level up one character first, and then once you reach top level gear, then you can go level the other guys. Currently grinding away with the elf.

1 hour ago, Brother Glacius said:

Vermintide 2 - picked it up on the latest sale. Not bad...definitely an improvement for the most part on the original. Nice set of maps and such too (so large though). The extra versions of characters is a nice touch. Gives you something to play around with style wise. My biggest complaint is the lack of noise the mobs make. Too often I turn around to see half a dozen chaos dudes right behind me. They really need to make more noise. There is a sound for right before they attack, but if you are currently armed with your ranged weapon, you are SOL. The game is challenging. They really don't need to cheat with super sneaky dudes all the time. That's really my only complaint. Was advised to level up one character first, and then once you reach top level gear, then you can go level the other guys. Currently grinding away with the elf.

You get it on Xbox? I was thinking about it when it was 25% off, think i missed that sale. Oh well, next time.

Divinity Original Sin 2 (PS4 version, single player, offline)

I really like it. Very similar to the prequel, but with another plot. No where near finished this one, but I already look forward to another sequel. If you haven't played, it's an RPG like Fallout 2 or arcanum or baldur's gate. You make a custom character, form a party, and explore the game. And the game is set up so you can do most things in lots of ways. Game has dialogue options for in-game conversations and turn-based combat. 

This one added some neat game concepts I hadn't seen. For example, when you add a companion to your party, the companion will ask you what role you need filled and this will determine their starting skills and stats, rather than having a predetermined class for each unique character. Makes it easier to RP taking NPC allies based on their personalities, rather than picking them for metagaming advantages. 

I'm not sure if I can explain others without giving spoilers away. 

• 2 weeks later...

More on divinity original sin 2. 

So in the last game, you could go back and complete quests whenever. This game keeps it's "chapters" seperate, which adds to the "actions have consequences" aspect, but also creates potential disasters - I had to start my game over because I found a secret path that allowed me to complete a chapter without gaining much experience and it crippled me for later chapters. Hindsight 20/20...

• 3 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Gorgosaurusrex said:

I've been playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker. This game is so good! It plays like Baldur's Gate but with Pathfinder rules (based on D&D 3.5).

Highly recommended for fans of the party based isometric RPG genre.

Who is the publisher on that and is it available on Steam?

• Like 1

On 10/18/2018 at 11:25 AM, Gorgosaurusrex said:

I've been playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker. This game is so good! It plays like Baldur's Gate but with Pathfinder rules (based on D&D 3.5).

Highly recommended for fans of the party based isometric RPG genre.

I got it, and returned it within an hour of play. Game is a very rough diamond. Too rough. I'm not writing it off and I might buy it later, but I returned it because it doesn't work for me now.

For points of the game, it's got lots of User interface issues. Sometimes it's a general lack of being able to understand what is really going on due to hidden game mechanics, other times it's a more basic lacking ability to perceive the already known game mechanics due to the user interface being hard to use. And the game really punishes mistakes.

For example, you can't increase the font size. EVERYTHING in the game is walls of text. Goes down to about 8 font like so and back up normal. And the text isn't optional, you need it to understand what is going on. And like pathfinder pre-generated material, they speak short sentences in walls of text with lots of references to proper names and copyrighted material.

Combat mostly uses pathfinder rules, and is definitely turn based, but unlike any common sense would dictate, it can't be set up to pause at the end of a turn. You can set the pauses lots of other ways, but not make the game play for you as a turn based game. So if you like the pathfinder game mechanics, expect to be punished by this game.

Character creation is great until you try to outfit your characters. They can't buy any starting equipment..... Wizards can't choose their starting spells, and so forth. And learning to change your spells in-game is not as easy as you'd think it would be.

I found the game to be stressful. It was kinda fun, but mostly stressful. I don't play games to get stress out. If they work out the kinks, it could be a great game, but it's not fun now.

ELEX - ouch...  The writing is so bad that you almost wonder whether the bad voice acting is a result of intent, not just bad acting.  From "Magalan, world of millions" to the conversational dialog which reads like 2 8 year-olds on a playground.  So maybe the guy I am talking to is an idiot, but I'm supposed to be a leading general of a faction that threatens the entire known world.  Wow.  Controls are not great and inventory management sucks.  Not much good to say about this one other than it's a good idea that really needed some help.

1/5

• 4 weeks later...

My PC took a crap on me, so I've been looking for something to play on my PlayStation. They're doing their Black Friday sale, so I picked up Diablo 3 complete edition for about $20. I know I'm about 6 years too late, but have been enjoying the game. Playing it on the PS4 kind of makes it feel like it's not a Diablo game... BUT, it does feel like something on the vein of Baulder's Gate: Dark Allience, or Champions of Norath, which I played to death on my PS2 back in the day, so needless to say I think that's great. Seems to be a lot of content, looking forward to getting into it more as I have time.

• Like 1

Hitman 2 is pretty dang good.  If you own Hitman(2016) you also get all of those maps updated with the new mechanics in Hitman 2.  If not you can just pay $20 to add those in.

If you have not played the last game, its an action puzzle game where the puzzle is how sneakily or badly you can murder some folks in various ways.  The different environments are interesting and fun to explore.  For example the first map is  an F1 race where you have to get one of the drivers and their Tony Stark arms manufacturer father who is putting on a demo of murder androids next door.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/20/2018 at 12:22 PM, Duckman said:

ELEX - ouch...  The writing is so bad that you almost wonder whether the bad voice acting is a result of intent, not just bad acting.  From "Magalan, world of millions" to the conversational dialog which reads like 2 8 year-olds on a playground.  So maybe the guy I am talking to is an idiot, but I'm supposed to be a leading general of a faction that threatens the entire known world.  Wow.  Controls are not great and inventory management sucks.  Not much good to say about this one other than it's a good idea that really needed some help.

1/5

The game doesn't explain key plot points soon enough.

So the plot premise is that you have a drug addicted super army that you were previously one of the key generals to (but not the only general). You are betrayed and cut off from your drugs, disrupting your memory and leaving you as a powerless level 1 character. It's not a great plot, but it is different than the commonly done "chosen one who grew up in a sheltered life until the sheltered life ended because outside forces attack," which is the plot device used far too often in RPGs. 

Your character slowly regains their memories as the game progresses.

The Drug in question is Elex, which you can also find in game and use. Basically the drug grants xp or bonus stats. It also is supposed to taint your soul towards evil, though this aspect is not well explained because the setting doesn't really use the concepts of good or evil, or souls for that matter. 

1 hour ago, paxmiles said:

The game doesn't explain key plot points soon enough.

The spoiler you hid was explained in the initial cut-scene...  Where the quote "world of millions" comes from.

The point is that I am supposed to be the greatest general of one faction and I am talking to head of another faction and the dialog reads like a fight between 5-year-olds on the playground.  "I don't like you and you're dumb!" Nuh-uh!" "Yeah-huh!"

Later, I am given a quest option and the guy who presents the option says "this is not what you need to do and it is probably really dangerous for you" and then loses respect for you when you take his advice.  If he'd been better written from the start maybe I'd have had context to interpret his advice but at that point, no way do I have context to say "I should ignore your advice and press the envelope because I won't be able to come back (especially since he's telling me I can come back) in order to gain his approval.

13 minutes ago, Duckman said:

The spoiler you hid was explained in the initial cut-scene...  Where the quote "world of millions" comes from.

The point is that I am supposed to be the greatest general of one faction and I am talking to head of another faction and the dialog reads like a fight between 5-year-olds on the playground.  "I don't like you and you're dumb!" Nuh-uh!" "Yeah-huh!"

Later, I am given a quest option and the guy who presents the option says "this is not what you need to do and it is probably really dangerous for you" and then loses respect for you when you take his advice.  If he'd been better written from the start maybe I'd have had context to interpret his advice but at that point, no way do I have context to say "I should ignore your advice and press the envelope because I won't be able to come back (especially since he's telling me I can come back) in order to gain his approval.

I didn't remember, but I've been told not to give spoilers before, so I covered my bases. Haven't played that game in at least a year, maybe more. Had a thread on it.

If you are complaining about dialogue options, I don't really have any sympathy there. Games rarely grant me the dialog options I would use. Was playing pillars of eternity with my evil character who worshiped an evil god of deception and cruelty. I stumble into a blood sacrifice pit and the conscious will of the evil pit asks me if I'd be willing to sacrifice a party member. The option I wanted was, "Sure, I'll sacrifice all of them," but for some reason I was only allowed a single sacrfice. And furthermore, it didn't allow me to come back with a fresh party and do again. Was that not the obvious answer? 

Regarding the game's target audience, it's about 13. Most games are aimed at kids. Kids just have more free time, and there are more kids with free time than their adults. Plus the kids aren't spending their own money, so it's an easier sell. Besides, adults like to play games to relax and kids games are relaxing.

Back to Elex, maybe you need to play the game Stoned? Or drunk? Maybe you are just too *smart* to enjoy this one. 

Regarding game selling points, I believe the selling points they advertised was the ability to make choices, the free-roaming, kill almost anyone, and to play in a setting with both laser guns and medival weapons. Oh, and the game is supposed to not be very forgiving in terms of difficulty. I think the game does make good on these things. I don't recall them saying they had a brilliant plot, nor do I recall any claims of having a super intelligent target audience. 

I will add that the target audience is basically people that were burnt out on fallout 4 and mass effect andromeda, and want a similiar game to waste time on, but only as a place holder for a good game to be released. That's why I got it...And it's a decent game in this respect. 

Pax, I am sorry you cannot read the example I put in my last message so I will state it again.  If I was concerned about my reputation with a faction I was given dialog like a 5-year-old and then told to interpret that as a subtle cue that the faction leader really wanted me to ignore his advice and go off and do my own thing.  Further, all his dialog up to that point is offering me a choice of doing something now or coming back later and he is judging me for making the choice to come back later because I cannot come back later.

That's not, "but I wanted to say something else".  That's "here's a series of choices but ignore what I say because I am lying."  If you can't see why that gets a 0-star rating you need help.  The only reason I gave it 1 star was because it was a promising idea that was then horribly realized.

21 hours ago, Duckman said:

Pax, I am sorry you cannot read the example I put in my last message so I will state it again.  If I was concerned about my reputation with a faction I was given dialog like a 5-year-old and then told to interpret that as a subtle cue that the faction leader really wanted me to ignore his advice and go off and do my own thing.  Further, all his dialog up to that point is offering me a choice of doing something now or coming back later and he is judging me for making the choice to come back later because I cannot come back later.

That's not, "but I wanted to say something else".  That's "here's a series of choices but ignore what I say because I am lying."  If you can't see why that gets a 0-star rating you need help.  The only reason I gave it 1 star was because it was a promising idea that was then horribly realized.

I think I came off harsh before. Sorry. 

Just wondering, which faction did you go with?