Rate the Last PC/Console Game You Played

11 hours ago, Duckman said:

I didn't keep playing.  The dialog was painful after 30 minutes and I really didn't trust the dialog to direct me to anything and I have better sandboxes to play if I am expected to explore on my own and ignore the NPCs.  I wanted to go with the Clerics initially.

Maybe it's worse on the PC. Or my expectations are just very low. 

Never did the clerics. The game kinda starts you near the medieval faction, so I stuck with them, but the way the questing is supposed to go, you basically explore each faction and do a certain number of quests for each, then decide which to join (if any). Most of the faction specific stuff which the game advertises as rather cornerstone, is actually mid-late game content. Half of the game is just exploring and doing basic questing with just the factionless weapons. Game presents it like it needs to be decided early on, but the factions are surprisingly tollerant of someone that moves between the factions and doesn't really adhere to any faction dogma...

Anywho, good luck on the next game.

Lately been alternating between Minecraft and Warframe (PS4 versions). Both are grindy games where you mostly just collect stuff, though Warframe is much more fast paced than minecraft (which puts me to sleep, sometimes). Effecient wastes of time, which I like okay, but that's what I got because I don't seem to be able to get the same joy from other video games as I used to (or perhaps only as I remember having gotten).

5 hours ago, jesselowe said:

Stellaris patch 2.2 (LeGuin) has brought some major changes to the gameplay. So far I'm enjoying it - it seems to encourage slower expansion.

I have yet to really try the new expansion. I picked up megacorps of course because i must have all the DLC for this game. At first glance I am very confused. I hope it all makes sense eventually.

• 3 weeks later...

Deep Rock Galactic 4/5

You and three dwarf friends drill deep into an alien planet in search for exotic metals and stones in a futuristic setting. The game plays a lot like vermentide, with 4 unique classes which synergize very well with each other. The maps are proceduraly generated (therefore they are always random). The enemies are bug like creatures that crawl all over cavern walls. The entire environment is destructible and the game gets progressively harder as you level up. Awesome environmental effects such as earthquakes causing massive fissures to open under your feet. A match takes about 20 minutes or so to complete the objective and get out.

Its pretty cheap, maybe $15, still in Alpha, but we have only experienced 1 glitch (for some reason you cannot map any keys to "p", no clue why). The graphics are simple and cartoonish, but still look great, the code appears to be pretty optimized so your old machine can probably handle it.

Bonus: it has THE BEST ready room I have ever seen in any game, by a long shot.

Downsides: The range of upgrades seems fairly limited, but that is likely due to the game development still in alpha. Most missions are a "resource collection and get out" which becomes a bit repetitive, thought with the changing environments, it always feels a bit like a whole new experience every round you play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Space Hulk: Deathwing (for PS4).

4/5

It's like a campy movie. The game sucks, but it sucks in ways that are kinda funny and it has amusement there. You are a supposed to be this divine super soldier, but you really are a walking refrigerator with a gun and a boxing glove. While you have Iron Man's billion dollar suit, your enemies are lucky to have any weapons at all. It's not a fair fight at all, yet the in game voices keep rambling about how heroic everything is. Dunno, I find it humorous.

If you haven't gotten into the 40k fluff, this game is like a 2/5. It doesn't explain itself, it just assumes that the gamer understands the setting already. Which is too bad, because the game would be much better just a higher focus on dialogue and voice acting. 

Game claims it has customization options. By this, they mean you can unlock alternate skins by playing a lot. You have no color options, each skin is the color it is. So if you don't want to play GW copyrighted Dark Angel paint schemes, tough, there aren't any other options. It's still visually impressive, just doesn't really offer customization. 

I'm assembling DA miniatures now, so this game has special value to me.

I haven't tried the multi-player yet. 

Anthem (demo) - 4/5 (with some specific reservations)

Anthem is a looter-shooter in the vein of Warframe, The Divison and Destiny.  It's a Bioware game being published by EA.  The game itself has some really high points and some rough edges.  The loot aspect of the game seems about right from what we saw in the demo...  Your loot improves your characters but not in huge leaps and bounds.  There's an open-world aspect, a storyline and Strongholds that are mini-raids (team size does not change).  You can select difficulty which makes enemies harder (specified changes in enemy hitpoints) and improves loot.

CONS and Caveats:

* Flight controls on PC are bad.  They can be tuned but they're still not particularly good.

* Stability issues under load during demo.  These improved during the second week of demo but were still there.  Bioware claims they are resolved in prod release.  Caveat emptor.

* EA is the publisher and that means mtx and probably a debacle.  The cash shop was not visible during the demo.  Both companies have avoided talking about cash shop or only talked about it with hand-waving generalizations which can pretty easily be demonstrated to be bollocks (really, you spent years developing the game and promising free DLC content and you're not sure how you're going to monetize it 2 weeks before go-live?).

On 2/5/2019 at 12:48 PM, paxmiles said:

Space Hulk: Deathwing (for PS4).

4/5

It's like a campy movie. The game sucks, but it sucks in ways that are kinda funny and it has amusement there. You are a supposed to be this divine super soldier, but you really are a walking refrigerator with a gun and a boxing glove. While you have Iron Man's billion dollar suit, your enemies are lucky to have any weapons at all. It's not a fair fight at all, yet the in game voices keep rambling about how heroic everything is. Dunno, I find it humorous.

If you haven't gotten into the 40k fluff, this game is like a 2/5. It doesn't explain itself, it just assumes that the gamer understands the setting already. Which is too bad, because the game would be much better just a higher focus on dialogue and voice acting. 

Game claims it has customization options. By this, they mean you can unlock alternate skins by playing a lot. You have no color options, each skin is the color it is. So if you don't want to play GW copyrighted Dark Angel paint schemes, tough, there aren't any other options. It's still visually impressive, just doesn't really offer customization. 

I'm assembling DA miniatures now, so this game has special value to me.

I haven't tried the multi-player yet. 

Got multi-player access. Different problems, but basically if you love 40k and love the idea of terminators wailing on genestealers, this game is awesome. If you don't want to play a termiantor, or you don't like the 40k fluff, this game is crap. Also, there are no female options and there are no non-white head options (and some classes have no helmet option, just bald white guys).

Multi-player adds a class change option. Things like Apothecary, or tactical marine, but they're all terminator versions. They also have a leveling system, which basically just unlocks minor upgrades and skins. Leveling system doesn't seem to have a cap, there was a guy the other night that was level 537, for context I'm at level 6 after playing for a couple of days.

Could be my internet connection or that my PS4 isn't a "Pro" version, but the multi-player loads really slow and has frequent wait times. 

Multi-player is limited to "teams" of 4. Friendly fire is up to the host and it doesn't warn you when you damage allies, plus you can take weapons that have an explosive radius (so you can accidentally damage yourself or allies, or ruin the fun for new players). As far as I can tell, there's no voice chat option, so the whole game is silent. 

There are very few total multi-player maps. But since everything is basically a maze of darknesss and tyranids, the lack of maps is rather meaningless. I will note, maps are not random or generated, though enemy spawns seem to be.  

So again, 2/5 if you just want a shooter, 4/5 if looking terminators vs genestealers in a 40k setting and as a shooter. 

6 hours ago, paxmiles said:

So again, 2/5 if you just want a shooter, 4/5 if looking terminators vs genestealers in a 40k setting and as a shooter. 

I just want to point out that the fact that so many people excuse them this way is the reason that GW continues to turn out [big bad swear word]e games.  If anyone held them to any kind of standard they could turn out *good* games with the same lore...  On the tabletop, on the computer, in pen-and-paper...

1 hour ago, Duckman said:

I just want to point out that the fact that so many people excuse them this way is the reason that GW continues to turn out [big bad swear word]e games.  If anyone held them to any kind of standard they could turn out *good* games with the same lore...  On the tabletop, on the computer, in pen-and-paper...

I actually really like the game. But I'm writing the review on basis of explaining the game to others. I think the target audience is very niche, and this time I happen to be in it. 

You said, "as a game in the genre it is supposed to be in 2/5, because you like the lore 4/5."  I get liking the lore.  I'm just sorry it's a 2/5 shooter...  I don't like putting up with cruddy mechanics and gameplay just to get the lore.

The same can be said for Total War: Warhammer 2.  I love the lore but if you look at the implementation they largely fail to account for the difference between elite armies and horde armies.  They cap all armies at 20 units and they don't make it much easier for Skaven and Greenskins to get more armies than their elite counterparts.  At least fro Total War it is more a nitpick than a seriously bad game.

2 hours ago, Duckman said:

You said, "as a game in the genre it is supposed to be in 2/5, because you like the lore 4/5."  I get liking the lore.  I'm just sorry it's a 2/5 shooter...  I don't like putting up with cruddy mechanics and gameplay just to get the lore.

The same can be said for Total War: Warhammer 2.  I love the lore but if you look at the implementation they largely fail to account for the difference between elite armies and horde armies.  They cap all armies at 20 units and they don't make it much easier for Skaven and Greenskins to get more armies than their elite counterparts.  At least fro Total War it is more a nitpick than a seriously bad game.

You are using quotes, but you aren't quoting anything I said. What I like isn't just the lore.

Regarding the rating, if we think of a game of the genre that a wide variety of players will enjoy, like Team Fortress, Call of Duty, or Overwatch, yeah, this is a 2/5. The game is slow paced by comparison, smaller scale, and markets to a much more narrow group of gamers. I don't really think the game failed that much in terms of it being true to the 40k setting, but I the 40k setting just doesn't translate well when compared to modern shooters. Especiallly for terminators, which are kinda bland when you think about the options in modern shooters.

I want more skins. I'd like a painting option. I want more random maps. I'd like a few more weapon options (they should have all the weapons that come in the DW Terminator kit). And I'd like better voice acting/script. Would be nice if it loaded faster. But even with all these things I want fixed, it would be still be a 2/5 in terms of modern shooters. The concept just doesn't translate well to a modern shooter.

To fix it, basically, they'd need to change key fluff features of the Deathwing concept.

The first and biggest issue is that the Dark Angels just aren't happy people. Deathwing more so. The setting isn't happy either. There's not really any goal that you can work towards that results in positive resolution to any plot you pose on the game. You'd have to alter this fluff.....

Second issue is the terminator concept. Modern games would have a grenade, a primary weapon, and a secondary weapon, all of which would be commonly swapable with found weapons during the game. Terminators don't really change their weapons much. Each weapon is usually built into the armor. Terminators lacking free hands, can't really use grenades. They don't use vehicles either. And then the armor itself, while agile for how durable it is, is really lacking in terms of speed or agility - it's a walking refridgerator. You'd have to alter this fluff too....

Third issue is space marines (in general) don't really advance in their career or have any relatable motive. They are bred soldiers. They don't have a life outside of fighting. And they aren't looking to stop fighting. They can't really win - sure they could win an individual battle, a war, or campaign, but nothing they do is going to result in peace that they can enjoy. They don't have a family to go back to, they don't plan to retire, and they lack hobbies. They are stuck in eternal war. This fluff also needs to be altered...

With those changes, they might make a proper 4/5 game that is comparable to team fortress, call of duty, or overwatch, but basically they'd have to ditch most of the 40k aspect of the game. 

Pax, I didn't see any point in quoting the same passage twice so I didn't.  I told you how it reads.

Your extended passage is much better.  What you are highlighting is that the problem lies in how the game interacts with the lore, not that the game itself is bad but that in being true to the lore it is not really comparable to a modern shooter.  Unfortunately, your summary sentence in the original post really doesn't summarize *that* well.  Makes much more sense now.

Space Hulk: Deathwing - PC version. Okay, big shocker, as it is a SPACE HULK game...you play as a terminator. You know...because that is what SPACE HULK is about...Oh, and yes, you play a male marine...because GW doesn't have female space marines! Sorry, but some previous reviews of this game just bugged the crap out of me for complaining about stuff that really is not the "fault" of the game. Its like bitching that you can't choose a bat for that soccer game you just bought.

The game itself is fun. I've played it so much that I'm level 130something. Granted, I don't play single player, I only play multiplayer. That doesn't mean you will actually have other people though. I've solo'd missions plenty of times. I just simply like the overall pace of MP. You get a range of roles to pick from (CC, HW, Tac, Lib, Apoc, Chap) and each one has its own abilities that they can earn and weapons to unlock. If you want, you can start the game with all of it unlocked, but then respawn timers are 5 minutes long. I like playing where you have to unlock everything during the game. Replay-ability is there due to the level up process. As you level, you earn customization unlocks, and a currency that you can use to unlock features as well. The customization plays a big part in the game as they can make you tougher or more lethal or both. While the game does not have built in voip (it should), Steam does...so you can use it when playing with friends. There is a string of missions that you can run, but also random missions that you can use that truly are random. The maps are not dynamic, but the objectives are, as well as the types of Genestealers you will face. The AI is good and the threats are varied. You have your typical GS, but then you also have stealth ones that pack a real punch (most of the time I die, its when a stealth dude one-shots me to the head), then they have suicide explodey guys, armed cultists, and then the big nasty Brood Lords...(which look more like carnifexes). Oh, and they also have enemy psykers which can one-shot you too. The game is beautiful. Fantastic level design too. All of that with strategy and tactics important. A varied four man team usually does best as all of the abilities they bring compliment each other. Oh, and they actually did a good job with melee as well. Now at first glance, you might dismiss it, but play enough times and you will realize how useful a pure melee build is, and with the right customization, devastating. In fact, the most lethal character in the game is the Close Combat terminator. Can take down a brood lord in two hits on max difficulty.

I'd give it a solid 8/10. A lot of that is due to the fact that the company added a significant amount of content for free after the game was released. If you like 3D shooters, like co-op and a solid campaign, then this game is for you. Oh, and it is hard. My friends and I play a lot, and we still fail missions sometimes. And for those real die-hards, you can turn on friendly fire too. That big AOE plasma cannon goes away real quick after you kill yourself with it because you hit too close to yourself. 🙂

• Like 2

Got Star Wars Battlefront 2 for PS4 at the Library (yeah, local library had it).

How to describe. If you liked Battlefield 1 or Planetside 2, but felt that you needed special character classes to butcher newbs mercilessly with, then this is your game. It's also star wars themed.

The animation is top notch, but I don't really like the game much. It's kinda dull - it doesn't really bring anything new, other than updated graphics. And then, interrupting every game, is some guy with a light saber that can't be killed and just ruins the game. And, coincidentally, the guy that scores the highest and is in the highlights at the end, is also one of those special characters. Reminds me of playing 40k in a home that has a cat which jumps on the 40k table and demands attention.

I heard complaints when the game launched that it would take an unrealistic amount on gaming to acquire the unlocks without paying cash. I did find this to be the case, but I also didn't really find anything I wanted to unlock, so that particular complaint didn't really seem justified. They may have changed it.

I did play starwars battlefront 1, and really liked it. I think that game was better. You just had bigger maps and more area to maneuver. Battlefront 2 has very dense terrain in every map and in every area. It's pretty, but it's not very fun to have a big battle in.

Anyway, I played it for about 8 hours (only). I also played late at night. I only played the "ground assault" version (40 vs 40). I tried to play the "starfighter assault" version, but their weren't enough players online to do so. I mostly played the "heavy" class, though I tried a good array of options.

That was enough for me. I uninstalled it. I plan to take it back to the library when I can.

I think 3/5 is fair.

Metacritic gives it a 68, and an average user score of 1.1. https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/star-wars-battlefront-ii 

Was at Best Buy killing time a week or two ago. Got to try the Demo for Super Mario Odyssey on Nintendo Switch.

I really liked it. Not sure that it's worth buying a new console for, but I very much had fun with that game demo.

Okay reworked the living room and got out the game cube. Yes 20 yr old me was giddy at the prospect!

Pikmin 2 was in it fired it up and oh my god so fun! Sunk 16 hours into it last week and it is just so addictive. Mobs of worthless individually things that need some direction to rule the micro world. My receiver upscales the graphics enough to be pretty and the game play is just the right amount of nuanced with great shifting puzzles. Different colors of pikmin have different abilities and you can have max 100 out at a time so there is some list building and then reserve manipulation. So much for such a simple title. 9 out of 10 carrots on a stick. Super surprising this is 15 years old...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Legend of Grimrock one or two. Classic dungeon crawling mechanic with an updated look. Actually, classic dungeon crawling with updated looks AND updated everything-else. 

Variable difficulty. Option of character creation (suggested for a second play through unless your intuition of party composition is naturally strong) 

Pretty typical back story, setup and environment. If you loved games like might and magic, path of radiance or even old fantasy text adventures you should get this. The grind factor is just right. The puzzles are clever but not too clever. The combat is fun. It's a great love letter to the genre.

• Like 2

Adventure Time: Pirates of the Enchiridian (Ps4)

4/5

Got it at the local Library. Took me 8 days of not even playing every day to get 100% achievements and complete everything has to offer. No replayability, but it's also set up so you can't really fail either. Gameplay is like the old final fantasy games (like FF7), but on super easy mode. Turn based combat, jumping around exploration. Fixed party. No character creation. But fun and simple.

Really short, but for a library game, the short length was perfect. 

Would be 5/5, but the game has a lot of bugs. It's not unbearable, but there were times my guy walks down a path and then falls endlessly for no reason. Game crashes a lot too. That said, the auto-save mechanic is great, so it's annoying when it crashes, but it doesn't waste your effort.

The Division 2 is in open beta this weekend.  I played in the closed beta.  Limited access to the world but you get a glimpse of normal zones, the dark zone, the quest cycle for both areas, missions, and infiltrated missions.  This is very much derivative of the first game and does well taking the successful parts of that game to build on.  It changes some mechanics (the way you unlock tech and skills is different but the popular powers are still there) and it introduces "specialization" at level 30 which gives some new options as well.  Worth a look if you were a fan of the first.

4.5/5 for the looter-shooter genre.

• 2 weeks later...

APE OUT - On Switch and PC

An epic combination of game play, visuals, and sound,  Ape Out is an absolute blast to play. A primal fury kamikaze run to freedom, you need to get your lumbering gorilla through to the end of each level past varying sorts of armed guards without dying.  Aside from movement your only other actions are grab and throw.  Hurling guards into walls or each other results in a satisfying splat on the screen and thanks to the procedurally generated  jazz music those splats are punctuated with a cymbal crash or a horn blast. you will, at times, literally be running around with your hair on fire in frantic destruction. Escaping down the halls turning your enemies into paste  while creating your own rollicking soundtrack scratches some sort of primitive itch deep in the brain.  The levels are broken into 4  albums to further emphasize the music and completing each album unlocks an alternative arcade mode for it.

The whole thing comes together like a dream, it looks, sounds, and plays great! I love this game!

ape-out-logo-min.jpg