Greatest Power For Evil: Andrewgeddon's hobby plog

Ok! So weekend update! Not a ton of progress, had my mother-in-law's 70th surprise birthday on Sunday, and her fake birthday on Friday so she's didn't get suspicious...

Repost form the Facebook group, but I got a large shipment of Infernal Dwarves (aka "The Dwarves of Fire Canyon") in from Russian Alternative. Combined with the two boxes I received previously, this will make up the bulk of my ID army.

wbykr8D.jpg?1

List I'm looking to run for 5K (red = models I still need to get):

[Characters]
Overlord (536pts)
-Shield, Onyx Hammer, Sprout of Rebirth, Potion of Swiftness, Dragon Mantle

Prophet (520pts)
-Wizard Master, 4 Spells (Alchemy / Pyromancy), Essence of a Free Mind, Lucky Shield

Vizier (280pts)
-BSB, Hardened Shield, Ring of Dessication

[Core]

40 Infernal Warriors (830pts)
-Great Weapons, Standard, Musician

10 Citadel Guard (330pts)
-Flintlock Axe, Champion, Musician

20 Hobgoblins (170pts)
-Bows, Musician

[Special]

5 Hobgoblin Wolf Riders (130pts)

5 Hobgoblin Wolf Riders (130pts)

26 Immortals (765pts)
-Full Command, Shields / Infernal Weapons, Flaming Standard

[Barrage]

Hobgoblin Bolt Thrower (90pts)

Hobgoblin Bolt Thrower (90pts)

[Bound and Binders]

Infernal Engine (460pts)
-Hammers

6 Kadim Incarnates (660pts)

Also spend a little time magnetizing my bases for the horde of Infernal Warriors.

NjdzkZu.jpg?1

On the KoE front, I'm putting together my Duke on his Hippogriphon. Love the model, but it's slow going as I wait for each section put together with green stuff to "cure" before I add another part.

WB4URIV.jpg?1

Simple head-swap for my Duke. Killed me to have to chop off the "duck hat" original head. He's going to get a cool shield, once I grab it from @splinx. Feel like the head is just a little too big... not sure if i'll just go with it or if it will bug me enough that I end up swapping it out...

pKIIDEs.jpg?1

Knightly / overly cheesy tunes!

maxresdefault.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hey, how about a post? It's been long enough! 

Hobby has been pretty limited; My wife, kid, and I have been taking turns being sick since the end of August. Plus this little dude makes getting hobby time in kinda difficult.
g51jZpU.jpg?1

Spent some time putting together my Immortals; I have my brick of 26 done (20 plus cheesy unit filler), beautify models, although getting them to rank up on 20mm bases was a huge pain. BSB also built as well.

CyWZQPQ.jpg?1

n31BxUh.jpg?1

SvaJc97.jpg?1

Also started to put together my Infernal Warriors w/ Great Weapons. This was interesting as the minis are actually a bit bigger than the models I used for the Immortals, and had better looking heads. So I tried to do some creative head swaps to make them more like "core" minis vs my elite infantry.

nkL8bzW.jpg?1

TjBFbWd.jpg?1

4PO52U2.jpg?1

Kadim Incarnates!  Original idea was to use the GW Spirit Hosts for the models, as I like the idea of them being "Fire Ghosts," but I had a gift certificate at Dice Age and so I ended up grabbing a bunch of random Reaper "ghost" minis to use. We'll see if I actually end up being happy with them, but for $5 out of pocket vs $50, I was willing to take the risk.
nvf0jHS.jpg?1

TkwsknP.jpg?1

I also got these cool obelisks for unit fillers! Striations on them are pretty awful and hard to get rid of though, hoping they will look better painted.

AQlDUcL.jpg?1 

PVVS4KP.jpg?1

Speaking of painting... I didn't do any. Tried to do some priming, but my airbrush is GARBAGE. Spent way more time trying to get it to actually work than using it.

FcluF3A.jpg?1

Until next time!

8 minutes ago, TheBeninator said:

What kind of airbrush do/did you have?

Not sure on the brand. Got a cheap compressor / airbrush set off of Amazon for like $80. I don't use it for anything other than priming and base coats, so I figured I wouldn't need to spend a ton. I'll be the first to admit I didn't take *great* care of it, but I always made sure to run plenty of water / rubbing alcohol through the brush after I was done using to it try and keep it clean and running, keep the needle clean... every time I would go to use it though I'd have to take it apart and try to clean it out. Last time I spend almost 2 hours cleaning it out, and it would shoot water just fine, but the moment I added paint... nothing.

At the very least, I think I need a new brush, maybe the needle got bent at some point. Also need a new hose... I guess you get what you pay for :/

I was recently told to get a small tub of mineral spirits and just leave the brush in there. So once you are done using it, drop it in, walk away. Obviously that is the lazy way to do it, but I have the same problem where I just cant get the darn thing clean enough. It looks clean, but 2 weeks later it suffers from little dried flecks in the oh-so-hard to reach places.

What kind of paint are you shooting thru it? It just does not shoot any paint at all?!

Do you use flow improver? (which I think is like a mild form of airbrush cleaner).

I have a junk brush too, and I have the same problems with 50%+ time is spent dinking around with the brush. The rest of the time I get a marginal spray. Ill let you know if this new strategy works for my brush (once I get the mineral spirits).

5 hours ago, TheBeninator said:

I was recently told to get a small tub of mineral spirits and just leave the brush in there. So once you are done using it, drop it in, walk away. Obviously that is the lazy way to do it, but I have the same problem where I just cant get the darn thing clean enough. It looks clean, but 2 weeks later it suffers from little dried flecks in the oh-so-hard to reach places.

What kind of paint are you shooting thru it? It just does not shoot any paint at all?!

Do you use flow improver? (which I think is like a mild form of airbrush cleaner).

I have a junk brush too, and I have the same problems with 50%+ time is spent dinking around with the brush. The rest of the time I get a marginal spray. Ill let you know if this new strategy works for my brush (once I get the mineral spirits).

Funny, I was talking to @splinx earlier about just leaving my brush in a 50/50 mix of airbrush cleaner / water, per the recommendation of Next Level Painting. I had considered a ultrasonic cleaner as well. At the very least, I need to invest in some pipe cleaners, lol.

Paint varies. I usually use Vallejo Air line, sometimes Vallejo model / game color with airbrush thinner. 

Yeah! I just discovered Next level painting myself. I like his style of not being OCD about upkeep or preparation. Lots of airbrush videos are people who use a handful of colors in large quantities. Not like minis where we might switch to 30 different colors in a short time span.

I need a new brush to make the gangsta gumbo though... Mine does not have a needle guard, so creating a back flow would require a sacrifice to the blood gods.

• 3 weeks later...

On the topic of airbrush cleaning, I recently did a bath of mineral spirits for my airbrush (i forget what type). It certainly helped dislodge the paints, but it also took all the lubricant off the airbrush parts. This required the disassembly of the airflow valve, which is what the trigger pushes on to allow air into the brush itself. I took it apart, cleaned it, but to no avail. I did this a few times with no improvement. Finally, I shot the pieces with tri-flow and kapow, back in business.

I never knew that airbrushes needed lube.

I also tried the gangster gumbo method, risking my finder in the process. For some reason it caused my compressor to croak. No idea why this is...

• 3 months later...

Uh... is this thing still on?

Ok, so just over 4 months between posts. What have I gotten done between then and now?... Not a ton!

Biggest deal hobby wise is that the Brettonians are GONE. Like, totally, out the door. Lots of factors contributed: Partly because I wasn't suuuper happy where they landed with the 2.0 beta rules (but hey, they're only beta rules), partly because trying to collect OOP models without breaking the bank was proving to be impossible... but mostly because of time. Between work and having a kid, not really the time for 2 army projects to run side-by-side, considering how often I play. So the knights got the boot!

BUT, the Infernal Dwarves are going strong! Current goal is to get everything I have 100% built (far too many headless / armless minis hanging around in the army) and start laying down some paint by the end of the month, if not sooner.

I built these guys up over the last couple days: 20 Kings of War Salamanders, that I will using as Orc Slaves. Biggest achievment here is that Mantic actually a kit that isn't total garbage (unlike the Abyssal Halbreed kit... *shudder*).

pMVTYnt.jpg?2

kr4imMp.jpg?2

Also got a brick of 31 "Hobgoblins" cleaned up and on proper MDF bases.

ocUHIis.jpg?2AvoSAEs.jpg?1

Next up is working on my "Bull (Lizard)" Centaurs, aka Taurukh Anointed. These guys will be sword and board, plus I got to convert full command AND a Subjugator BSB. I've got 3 more on sprue, plan on having them built by this weekend.

BgWjazr.jpg?1

Thats all for tonight! I have some other updates that I've shared on the FB page that I'll probably toss up, but I hope to have more consistent posts moving forward! Until then!

16 minutes ago, TheBeninator said:

Wow, those salamanders look good! Hows the ranking? Did they just sort of fall into place like that, or is the picture after much careful positioning to make ranking possible?

They weren't too bad, compared to the rest of the dwarves. I basically set up the tray / bases empty, then glued guys into formation as I went. Plenty of room on the 25mm bases though, didn't really have any issues. Was able to swap a few guys around after everything was built too. Their shields are fairly bulky, not sure how hard it would be to rank up a bunch of sword-and-board guys though.

Anything has to be easier than Infernal Dwarves though...

• 1 month later...