• Heralds Anarchic:
    • HoT: Disc, Exalted
    • HoT: Disc, Locus of Trickery
    • HoT: Disc, Lvl3, Paradox
Carter Leach - Corsairs and Dark Eldar:
  • 2 Scalpel Squadrons
    • 4x5 Wracks: Ossefactor, Venom w/2 Splinter Cannons
  • Corsair Coterie
    • Prince: Reaper of the Outer Dark, Shadowfield, Void Sabre, Cloud Dancer w/Catapults"
    • Baron: Power Lance, Shadow Field, Cloud Dancer w/ Catapults
    • Baron: Shadowfield, Void Sabre, Cloud Dancer w/ Splinter Rifles
    • 2x Balestrike Band: 5 Corsairs w/Shuriken Cannons, Venom w/Splinter Cannon
    • 2x3 Cloud Dancers w/Splinter Cannon
    • 4x3 Cloud Dancers w/Shuriken Cannon
    • 2x1 Corsair Hornet: Kinetic Shroud
William Abilez - Tau (note - list approximated from Frontline's Article):
  • Farsight CAD:
    • Commander w/drones
    • Some Single Crisis Suit Teams
    • 2×2 Tetras
    • A Devilfish
    • 2x Skyrays
    • Stormsurge
  • Riptide Wing:
    • Triptide w/ 2x Burst Cannons, 1 Ion Cannon
Matt Root - War Convocation and Librarius Conclave:
  • War Convocation:
    • Dominus: Conversion Field, Digital Weapons, Eradication ray, Infoslave Skull, Macrostubber, Scryerskull Perspicatus
    • Servitor w/Plasma Cannon
    • 2x3 Destroyers: Cognis Flamer, Heavy Grav Cannon
    • Dunecrawler: Cognis Heavy Stubber, Cognis Manipulator, Icarus Array, Mindscanner Probe
    • 5 Infiltrators: Flechette Blasters and Taser Goads, Princeps w/ Conversion Field, Digital Weapons, Infoslave Skull, and The Phase Taser
    • 5 Ruststalkers: Transonic Razor, Chordclaw, and Mindscrambler Grenades, Princeps w/Conversion Field, Digital Weapons, Prehensile Dataspike, and the Omnicient Mask
    • 5 Rangers: Ominspex, 2 Plasma Caliver, Alpha w/Arc Maul, Arc Pistol Phospenix, Conversion Field, Digital Weapons
    • 5 Vanguard: Omnispex, 2 Plasma Caliver, Alpha w/Arc Maul, Pater Radium, Conversion Field, Digital Weapons
    • 5 Dragoons: Phospor Serpentas
    • Knight Crusader: Rapid Fire Battle Cannon, 1 Meltagun, Stormspear Rocket Pod
  • Librarius Conclave:
    • 3x1 Librarian: Lvl1, Force Axe, 1 Auspex
Justin Curtis - Daemons and Chaos Space Marines: 
  • Thousand Sons CAD:
    • Sorceror: MoT, Force Axe, Melta Bombs, VotLW
    • 2x10 Cultist: MoT
    • Magnus
    • VSG: 3 Shields
  • Daemons CAD:
    • Fatey
    • 2x10 Brimstones
    • 7 Screamers
  • Heralds Anarchic:
    • HoT: Exalted, Disc, Lvl3
    • HoT: Paradox, Disc, Lvl3
    • HoT: Disc, Lvl1

• Like 3

Perhaps this debate is exactly why this year is using individual pairings rather than team pairings?

With this subtle change perhaps this will be the outcome:

1. Players will self regulate the first match looking for roughly equal matchups, resulting in solid games.  (No one wants to curb stomp anyone at OFCC)  This is where we need to take a long hard look at our lists and playstyle.

2. The load on the List Rating Committee is lessened.  Let's face it, doing mounds of administrative paperwork for free isn't fun. 

3. Streamlining of subsequent matchups, reducing the amount of time and effort required by the volunteer staff.

Just my ramblings.

• Like 4

So, it's cool if I bring two warhounds for my OFCC list because I can bring what I want and I can find opponents who will give me good, fun, competitive games? Great.

I would LOVE to play against two Warhounds!  I've always wanted to see these guys in action, but just can't talk my wife into spending that much money on ONE, let alone two.  And while I'm pretty sure you could kill most of my army, I'm thinking I might have a few surprises in it for you.

My intent in the first post was really - "hard" lists don't make bad games and "soft" lists don't make good games.  Fun games come from people, matchups (because we want to play people with similarly styled lists), and atmosphere - all of which OFCC traditionally delivers in spades.

And I just had a thought - for all of my games this year, whenever a '1' is rolled, the opponent of whoever rolled it (so either me or the guy across the table) has to take a swig of their beverage of choice (mine will be root beer).  Maybe it won't hurt so bad when I roll 5 1's on 6 dice for armor saves and pick up a Terminator squad  :biggrin:

• Like 2

Guys. Let's calm down. If they keep their word. then all of the tough, nasty tournament lists will play over in one corner, while the rest of us will play with out silly armies on the rest of the tables. They pointed out extremely tough lists will all play each other every round. So it'll just be a bunch of wraithknights, battle companies and super friends punching each other in the corner. I'm not speaking ill of anything or anyone, just saying how I understand it from EB's post on how they are doing things. They can bring anything they want. As my dad used to tell me "You can do anything you want son, this is America... you just have to live with the consequences of your actions."  The consequence of bringing a super-tough list, is you'll play all the other super-tough lists and not mingle much. And with win-loss meaning nothing at this event, hey, go for it!

• Like 1

I seem to have missed it. What was the mechanic for keeping all the super-tough lists consistently matched against each other? Because W/L records alone don't do that. Or more accurately, they basically do it every other round, and on the rounds they don't, you tend to have super strong lists that lost playing weaker lists that lost, and super strong lists that won playing weaker lists that won. It only works for the ends of the bell curve, the middle of the field (i.e. most of the people there) end up with a lot of bad matchups if there's a wide range of lists, and no matching system other than W/L.

• Like 5

I seem to have missed it. What was the mechanic for keeping all the super-tough lists consistently matched against each other? Because W/L records alone don't do that. Or more accurately, they basically do it every other round, and on the rounds they don't, you tend to have super strong lists that lost playing weaker lists that lost, and super strong lists that won playing weaker lists that won. It only works for the ends of the bell curve, the middle of the field (i.e. most of the people there) end up with a lot of bad matchups if there's a wide range of lists, and no matching system other than W/L.

I believe they are still planning a LRC.

Westrider, dont put too much thought into it. We are going to do the same thing we did the last two years as far as pairings go. They all turned out pretty good based on the feedback received.

The last two years paired by Teams. The whole source of contention was the removal of Team pairings and switching to individual pairings. Or has that changed back?

And even within the realm of what's made it through the LRC, there have been a lot of potential bad matchups out there, a huge percentage of which have been mitigated by the Captain Matchup System.

I bring it up because almost* all of my bad experiences in Tournaments have been with someone who brought a nasty list**, but didn't have the skill they thought they did, and were bitter about getting knocked down by actual top players, when I was just looking for a chill day hanging out in the bottom half of the standings and throw dice and hang with people.

*The rest were first-round pairings with similar types. And one genuine WAAC jerk, but that was 14 years ago.

**I would particularly note that there are a substantial number of lists right now that can't hang at the top, including some that can be put together basically by accident, or as an inherent consequence of their Codex, but will ROFLstomp typical OFCC lists.

• Like 2

LOL and here is me trying to make an even softer assault based tau list (Yes you read that correct) for this year or a fluffy based Biel Tan Eldar list with guardian spam. In all honesty i think the OFCC has always had the chance to polarize folks to either enjoy competitive games over the weekend or like me enjoy getting drunk, rolling some dice and eating bacon products. I have never come to OFCC expecting to win or needing too to enjoy it. For me its great seeing friends and randoms enjoying a hobby as much as i do and getting to all be socially awkward together. LOL 

I will forever be in this train of thought and take competitive tournament lists to other tournaments locally and save them of ITC events. 

Just my 2 cents. 

Sam

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2017 at 4:50 PM, splinx said:

LOL and here is me trying to make an even softer assault based tau list (Yes you read that correct) for this year or a fluffy based Biel Tan Eldar list with guardian spam. In all honesty i think the OFCC has always had the chance to polarize folks to either enjoy competitive games over the weekend or like me enjoy getting drunk, rolling some dice and eating bacon products. I have never come to OFCC expecting to win or needing too to enjoy it. For me its great seeing friends and randoms enjoying a hobby as much as i do and getting to all be socially awkward together. LOL 

I will forever be in this train of thought and take competitive tournament lists to other tournaments locally and save them of ITC events. 

Just my 2 cents. 

Sam

Agreed. But not playing competitively, and having one-sided games are different. Most people don't enjoy one-sided games, win or lose.

• Like 4

So, having read the Player's Guide, I'm kind of confused on what it means to be a mercenary. Does that just mean a person without a team? As I understood it, in years previous, a mercenary was someone without a team, that is then used to fill in on other, odd-numbered teams. Kind of like PourSpelur's "Those without teams for OFCC 2017" thread.

The language this year seems to indicate it's just a more menacing title for someone gaming solo. Or by registering as an individual are you also automatically entering the pool of mercenaries for hire, but if you go undrafted, you'll still be eligible for certain awards?

Or am I wildly over thinking all of this?

• Like 2