Hey Joey

On 6/16/2018 at 9:32 AM, Sherbert said:

im not terribly impressed with the new ghost album. its kind of all over the place and does not have a lot of the darker tones that were prevalent in their earlier stuff. 

It has 100% more saxophone solo and a Pet Shop Boys cover.

I agree with your assessment, however, I love it for that reason. It's crazy.

Okay, I know I never post new songs, and that's certainly not changing here:

I've had River Dragon Has Come stuck in my head for days and days. It's one of my very favorite songs. 

But I decided to look up what it's about, floods sure, that much is obvious. But what flood?!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banqiao_Dam

Here's the short version: in the 1950s, the Chinese built a [big bad swear word]ty dam with the help of the Russians. It cracked almost immediately so they reinforced it and called it "The Iron Dam" and deemed it unbreakable.

As with anytime humans deem an engineering project "un-bad thing-able" that bad thing happened. In 1975 a once every few thousand years typhoon rolled through and the dam broke. It created a domino effect in which 62 total dams were destroyed and at least 170,000 people died. 

ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY THOUSAND PEOPLE!!!

Which begs the question, why the hell have I never heard of this before?!

When we were covering engineering failures in my engineering class, why were we wasting time with bull[big bad swear word] like The Challenger and Chernobyl? How does the most destructive engineering failure of all recorded human history not even get a mention? 

So that's today's lesson in History, Metal, and Engineering, see you next week! 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2018 at 5:28 PM, Munkie said:

When we were covering engineering failures in my engineering class, why were we wasting time with bull[big bad swear word] like The Challenger and Chernobyl? How does the most destructive engineering failure of all recorded human history not even get a mention? 

As a Nation, we tend to focus less on events outside of North America and Europe. You should bring it up in class!

On 6/25/2018 at 5:28 PM, Munkie said:

Okay, I know I never post new songs, and that's certainly not changing here:

I've had River Dragon Has Come stuck in my head for days and days. It's one of my very favorite songs. 

But I decided to look up what it's about, floods sure, that much is obvious. But what flood?!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banqiao_Dam

Here's the short version: in the 1950s, the Chinese built a [big bad swear word]ty dam with the help of the Russians. It cracked almost immediately so they reinforced it and called it "The Iron Dam" and deemed it unbreakable.

As with anytime humans deem an engineering project "un-bad thing-able" that bad thing happened. In 1975 a once every few thousand years typhoon rolled through and the dam broke. It created a domino effect in which 62 total dams were destroyed and at least 170,000 people died. 

ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY THOUSAND PEOPLE!!!

Will this be on the test?

51 minutes ago, nathonicus said:

As a Nation, we tend to focus less on events outside of North America and Europe. You should bring it up in class!

That's certainly part of it. The other part is the Chinese government downplayed the incident at the time and the casualty numbers weren't released until 2005, long after it was out of the cultural consciousness.

41 minutes ago, Yarbicus said:

Will this be on the test?

If you study all the material, then you won't need to ask questions like this. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.