Hey Joey

And Nathan is right about the technicality. If you are in a metal band to hone your musical skills then the best musicians tend to join progressive or "prog" metal bands or they join technical death metal or "tech death" bands. Some such as Necrophagist are a good example of tech death whereas the band i posted previously is more traditional death.

• Like 1

And Nathan is right about the technicality. If you are in a metal band to hone your musical skills then the best musicians tend to join progressive or "prog" metal bands or they join technical death metal or "tech death" bands. Some such as Necrophagist are a good example of tech death whereas the band i posted previously is more traditional death.

Holy [big bad swear word] that intro!

No, that's my Happy Face.

Here are a few of my favorites:

METAL

Isn't it amazing that we live in an age where we can find this type of music?  I mean, not just that Death Metal exists, but that there are multiple subgenres of Death Metal with multiple artists  turning out music in them - it's incredible.  I've been seeing an article go around on Facebook about how this is the first year in something like 4 decades that an album has not gone Platinum, and while the mass-appeal market struggles, I think the niche-markets flourish.  At least I hope that all these bands turning out excellent stuff can make it. 

Edit:  Joey, thanks for turning me on to Allgaeon!

• Like 1

not trolling: is a male lead vocal the only way to do good metal?

Not in my opinion. One of my very favorite bands is this Russian Folk Metal band:

I think she nails the death-vocals and also has a beautiful, clear singing voice. But then again, I'm partial to Russian blondes.

Also, this beautiful Austrian vocalist doesn't do death vocals, but the band certainly has Metal Tendencies, though it really defies classification.

• Like 1

Monsters and Metal is a podcast I listen to from time to time, and they did a fan poll about the top Mistress of Metal. Attached are their brackets, with scads of female-led metal bands. While I don't agree with their fans (seriously, who let Huntress get that far? They're TERRIBLE!), it is at least a starting point for lots of research.

post-1278-0-83956700-1414090266_thumb.jpg

Now I wouldn't call myself an expert, but it does make me wonder where metal begins and ends as a genre.

It seems as if it has evolved into something hard to define as more subgenres crop up, which in my opinion can only be a good thing. 

To me it encompasses most of the hard hitting, fast-paced music I enjoy subjecting my ears to, lyrics optional.

Your mileage may vary, but does anyone know of further bands they enjoy that would commonly include guitar like this?

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.