Message added by DisruptiveConduct

WHAT IS WOW?

IMG_20180716_183847.jpg 

WOW is the acronym for Western Oregon Wargamers, a Portland area gaming club that is going strong after forty years. For most of that time, WOW members have leased  a private gaming area at 717 SE Main St in Portland. Since 2005, Ordo Fanaticus and WOW have shared the lease and the gaming area. But how much space is there at the WOW clubhouse?

1. The Common room aka the room of Hope - the largest room at WOW, the Common Room holds over 140 square feet of wargaming tables. This room also contains the Ordo snack bar, which contains a large assortment of beverages and snack food for members.

medium.DSCN6280.JPG.0d63fae3542cbe7abbff

2. 2 side rooms- each of these side rooms holds a mammoth 5'x10' custom wargaming table. Room 1 also contains the Ordo paperback and board game libraries, along with the most valuable club asset - the Ordo bitz box. And even more treasured, Room 2 has a window that lets in natural sunlight (for when you really need to put down a vampire outbreak).

small.DSCN6284.JPG.3780afc621a3e083535b7 small.DSCN6283.JPG.56af13bc68cc766524b6b

3. The Terrain room aka the room of Nope - this room holds the entire OF terrain collection. Shelves on one side hold terrain for clubhouse use, while at the other wall the remaining terrain is stored in large plastic tubs and banker boxes. In between, two 4'x6' work tables can be found.

small.DSCN6286.JPG.a3c98a11b0ba7b2c556b0 small.DSCN6288.JPG.ba6c11bce266c0ddb323d small.DSCN6291.JPG.31a23123817bc5e6263b7

You can see an album of pictures from past game nights here.

Welcome to Ordo! Someone will start a game night thread for tomorrow night and if you want to play a game you should post up there. We are in the middle of a planetary empires campaign but I think your chances of landing a game are pretty good. If nothing else you can come check the place out and meet some other players, it's a casual environment so feel free to ask questions. It usually gets opened up around 3-4pm on Tuesdays, hope to see you there.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I was about ready to sign up for Warlord level on paypal when it says "30 for first year, then 30 each year after". Does that mean it will automaticly bill me every year till the end of time???

Also I heard for game night dues you can get a punch card at the club house. If I am a Warlord how much cash should I bring to get said punch card.

Thanks again. 

I was about ready to sign up for Warlord level on paypal when it says "30 for first year, then 30 each year after". Does that mean it will automaticly bill me every year till the end of time???

Also I heard for game night dues you can get a punch card at the club house. If I am a Warlord how much cash should I bring to get said punch card.

Thanks again. 

Hi.

We originally set up the system for payments to be recurring (as you outlined above), but we have recently decided to stop doing that (due to some confusion, cross payments, etc.). If you pay for any level of Champion dues now, we will cancel the recurring payment and you should not be billed for any future payments. Or you can pay for Champion dues in cash at GN and not have to worry about any electronic shenanigans.  :smile:

Punch cards are $20 each and have 10 punches. Each punch is good for one GN and after you fill out all 10 punches, you can turn in the card and attend a GN for free. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Is there some sort of calendar for the days or times WOW is open?

Nothing has changed from the info in the first post of this thread. WOW is still open on Sundays and Tuesdays (except for the occasional holiday or special event). We make announcements in the Game Night or Tournament forums about specific days and times (beyond the regular ones I mentioned in the previous sentence) when WOW will be open. There is really no need for a calendar at this time. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
2 hours ago, happycamper said:

What's rules for beer ? at WoW?

If you'd like a beer (or 2) before or after GN, the White Owl Social Club is right across the street from WOW. Unfortunately, our insurance does not allow for the consumption of alcoholic beverages on the premises. 

Is there an age limit for WOW? One of the new guys is 16, and although they haven't said, my impression is that they are coming without parental supervision. I'm fine around minors, but I'm not offering to be the responsible one if they get themselves hurt or something. Do we have a policy regarding ages at WOW?

So regarding the above minor question, they had a guardian present so didn't matter, but the answer was addressed in person by both Blustorm and Evil Bryan with conflicting responses. Brian said age didn't matter as long as they were responsible for themselves, and then later Blustorm said that the guardian was important and would be required. This didn't happen with both Blustorm and Bryan in same room, so I'm not sure if one was meant to override the other. I'll certainly err on the side of caution and take Blustorm's suggestion, but I wanted to note that I am getting conflicting responses.

17 hours ago, paxmiles said:

So regarding the above minor question, they had a guardian present so didn't matter, but the answer was addressed in person by both Blustorm and Evil Bryan with conflicting responses. Brian said age didn't matter as long as they were responsible for themselves, and then later Blustorm said that the guardian was important and would be required. This didn't happen with both Blustorm and Bryan in same room, so I'm not sure if one was meant to override the other. I'll certainly err on the side of caution and take Blustorm's suggestion, but I wanted to note that I am getting conflicting responses.

Pax,

Our preference is to have a minor child accompanied by a parent/guardian if the child wishes to participate in activities at WOW. Please be aware, this particular scenario has only occurred a handful of times in the 13 years Ordo has held Game Nights, so we haven't exactly needed to implement a policy regarding minors. As you mentioned, it wasn't an issue, due to the fact that a guardian was present, so I would ask that you let the matter drop for the time being.

• Like 1