Warriors of Fire & Ice: Escalation 2014

I'm not going to be able to make it every Sunday this fall, but I'm going to blog as if I can!

Unlike some others, a new army is just not in the cards for me. Beyond that, I have a TON of stuff to finish up with the Warriors of Chaos army I have. Much of it (though getting less each year) is just basecoated and washed. Some is still in the older red or green color schemes, before I solidified on my ice-blue scheme. Some things aren't painted at all (namely the Manticore and the sorcerer lord who can ride on it or the dragon). There are a few things I want to add to the army: a selection of Forsaken, a new and more impressive Warshrine, perhaps another chariot (Gorebeast or normal, not sure), other things? We'll see if an End Times-style Chaos book comes out; perhaps I'll be adding some Daemons to my ranks.

In any case, I'll be posting pictures and lists and discussion here! I'll be building up to the Rampage, which I do plan to attend - I'm just not sure what I want to run yet. The league will be a chance to try things out, though.

Week One: 1000 points

I won't be able to make it this week, but here's my list as if I was.

Chaos Sorcerer, Mark of Slaanesh, Level 2 (Shadow)

11 Chaos Warriors, Mark of Slaanesh, shields, full command

Forsaken, Mark of Slaanesh

5 Chaos Knights, Mark of Slaanesh, ensorcelled weapons, full command

Chaos Warshrine, Mark of Slaanesh

Hellstriders, musician

6 of the Warriors and all of the knights need a finishing-up on their paint job. I don't have anything for the Forsaken yet, so I'll have to proxy using Warriors or Marauders.

• Like 1

Week Two: 1100 points

Checklist of achievements this week, so I've worked the list towards them.

Chaos Sorcerer, Mark of Slaanesh, Level 2 (Shadow), Enchanted Shield, Chaos Familiar

11 Chaos Warriors, shields, Mark of Slaanesh, Aspiring Champion, standard bearer, musician

6 Forsaken, Mark of Slaanesh

Chariot, Mark of Slaanesh

Warhounds

Hellstriders, musician

Hellcannon

I think, with this list, I can have the chance to get 22 of the 25 achievements on the checklist; I doubt I'll get anywhere near the max, though, as I'll only really have time for one game. Sorry about the Hellcannon, guys - Raindog made me do it by putting in a war machine achievement! :D

Week Two: 1100 points

Checklist of achievements this week, so I've worked the list towards them.

Chaos Sorcerer, Mark of Slaanesh, Level 2 (Shadow), Enchanted Shield, Chaos Familiar

11 Chaos Warriors, shields, Mark of Slaanesh, Aspiring Champion, standard bearer, musician

6 Forsaken, Mark of Slaanesh

Warhounds

Hellstriders, musician

Hellcannon

I think, with this list, I can have the chance to get 22 of the 25 achievements on the checklist; I doubt I'll get anywhere near the max, though, as I'll only really have time for one game. Sorry about the Hellcannon, guys - Raindog made me do it by putting in a war machine achievement! :D

Right. I made you do it. 

TJP, I would never suggest that you appologize for taking a single hellcannon in your lists.  You lists are far from over the top and I've seen hellcannons produce zero results in many games against them.

Trust me, not apologizing. Just blaming Raindog, either for the horrible destruction it does to enemies (maybe), or for eating its own crew and decimating a nearby unit of my own turn 1 (more likely).

• 2 weeks later...

I got a paying gig to run Dungeons & Dragons for a bachelor party, of all things, and they paid me in cash and Guardian Games gifts certs. Hellooooo centerpiece warshrine model!

I have the platform of the warshrine assembled. The pillar/statue is separate for painting, as is the altar (which I don't think I'll end up putting on there. The kit goes together well! For all of the 'new' kits with good piece-fit, I've been using Plastruct Bondene, a thin plastic solvent that pretty much permanently attaches things.

I haven't put the big horns on the front of the platform yet; we'll see if they look out of place once mounted on the stonehorn. I did, using some marauder shields, make the various chaos god symbols magnetic, as well as a generic shield for an unmarked shrine.

I'm using my Hrothgar Daemonaxe games day model as the shrine keeper; he's appropriate and epic. He's  not going to be Daemonaxe anymore though; the axe is a bit ridiculous, so I trimmed it off, drilled, pinned, and ready to replace it with the headtaker axe from the shrine. I feel like I should magnetize him to the model so I can replace him with something else, or use him on another base, but his feet are not huge and it may be pretty challenging. Good variety of magnets in the free samples we've got the past few years at OFCC though, so I'm considering it.

Speaking of the stonehorn, I started working on that last night. I have the headless body mostly assembled (lots of pieces, but it goes together well) and have confirmed that it will fit fine on a 50x100 base. The horns will be very wide, but so far above the heads of most models that it won't much matter. I'm planning on using the Thundertusk pieces too as needed, including the tailpiece (stubby, basically non-existent), the front shoulder-shields, and maybe the backpiece, depending on how the platform fits on top. I'll probably use the stonehorn trophy rack that usually sits behind the rider much further back, to support the rear of the platform.

Speaking of the platform, I'm debating on magnetizing the platform to the top of the stonehorn, not only for storage (the stonehorn is tall, the platform/pillar is tall, and both together are ridiculous), but also because I could theoretically use the monster alone as a Slaughterbrute, if I ever felt like using a terrible monster ;)

Pictures soon!

• Like 1

Week 3: 1150 points

This one's all about movement - getting your units through and stopping your opponents. With that in mind, I tried to make the most obnoxiously annoying list I could with the models I have.

I may have succeeded, but I'll never know, as I couldn't make it this week. Do you like random movement (1d6)?  :rolleyes:

Chaos Sorcerer Lord (Lore of Slaanesh), Mark of Slaanesh, Steed of Slaanesh, Enchanted Shield

Exalted Hero, Battle Standard Bearer, Enchanted Shield, Mark of Slaanesh, Steed of Slaanesh

5 Marauder Horsemen, Mark of Slaanesh, musician

5 Marauder Horsemen, Mark of Slaanesh, musician

5 Marauder Horsemen, Mark of Slaanesh, flails, musician

5 Chaos Warhounds

3 Dragon Ogres, great weapons

5 Hellstriders, Musician

5 Hellstriders, Musician

Week 4: 1200 points

The teleporting tower prioritizes mobility, but needs more fighting power than the last scenario. I put together a pretty mobile list (except the warshrine, of course, but I gotta have the warshrine :laugh:).

Chaos Sorcerer, Mark of Slaanesh, Level 2 (Slaanesh), Enchanted Shield, Barded Chaos Steed

5 Marauder Horsemen, flails, Mark of Slaanesh, musician, champion

5 Forsaken, Mark of Slaanesh

Chaos Chariot, Mark of Slaanesh

5 Chaos Knights, Mark of Slaanesh, full command, ensorcelled weapons

5 Hellstriders, Musician

5 Hellstriders, Musician

Crash the Forsaken and chariot into larger units, hit them with Slaanesh magic, smash with knights. Use the marauder horse and hellstriders to pick off smaller things or bait stuff I don't want to face.

sounds great. I'm a big fan of magnetizing so excited to see how it comes out. I used the stonehorn as my 'spirit horde' for a Mortis engine conversion and agree that the moment you put something on it's back it gets ridiculously tall!

Nice! Do you have pictures?

The SHRINEBEAST is basically done. I used the Stonehorn backpiece, the Thundertusk shoulder-plates, a trimmed-down front saddle to support the front of the shrine platform, and modified the Stonehorn trophy rack to hold up the rear - now mounted, instead of off of the saddle, at the lower shoulders. It worked pretty darn good. The Stonehorn back piece has some rings to put hangy stuff on in the original kit; I'm going to use some jewelry chain to run between that and the ends of the trophy rack jawbones for more 'support'. I also trimmed and installed one of the trophy rack stings'o'skulls so it faces backwards across the jawbones. Just need to add some hanging chains, traps, skulls, and the captured Empire soldier off of the shrine platform. You know, some homey touches that will really bring the whole room together  :laugh:

I couldn't find a good way to magentize the shrine platform to the beast. It's supported by the crossbar and the back of the 'demon face' against the saddle in the front, and by the ends of the trophy-rack jawbones between the skull-pit and the outside panels at the rear. If I want easier storage, I will probably just have to make the shrine's statue/ring/pillar thing removeable. It still might be too tall for the containers I use; if so, I think I'll just glue it all together solidly and just deal with it.

For painting, it's in a few pieces: the Shrinebeast's body, the head, the main platform, the Keeper, the pillar, and the altar (which I'm not sure I'll use). Also, there are the 4 magnetized Chaos God symbols and the blank shield for the unmarked shrine. I'm hoping to finish the chain on the monster tonight and prime.

Pictures soon. REALLY!

In other news, I should nail down what I'm thinking of running for the Rampage. Whatever it is, I'm pretty sure it'll involve a Warshrine ;)

• Like 1

Possible Rampage list:

I need to check the points, and I'm a few short if I'm right on. Certainly an elite force...

Chaos Sorcerer Lord (Lore of Shadow), level 4, Mark of Slaanesh, Talisman of Preservation, Chaos Familiar

7 Forsaken, Mark of Slaanesh

7 Forsaken, Mark of Slaanesh

10 Chaos Warriors, shields, Mark of Slaanesh, Aspiring Champion, standard bearer, musician

10 Chaos Warriors, shields, Mark of Slaanesh, Aspiring Champion, standard bearer, musician

5 Hellstriders, musician

9 Chosen, Mark of Slaanesh, halberds, shields, full command

Pictures of the Shrinebeast! Looking pretty rough right now. Pre- and post-wash (aka 'instant talent'). A long way to go to brighten it way back up. The areas where the skin is broken are painted as stone in the original Ogre Stonehorn; MexicanNinja decided to paint them bone, and I decided to make them open wounds with muscle showing >:-) The pink looks a bit odd now with just a red wash. I'm going to go over it with some Blood for the Blood God and it should look epicly nasty.

gallery_1107_26_258771.jpg

gallery_1107_26_32343.jpg

Next up: lots of drybrushing fur!

You can see Hrothgar No-More-Demonaxe back there, with his new headchopper. Also, one of his skulls-on-a-spike fell off :( time for some delicate pinning.

• Like 1

Thanks! It'll be brightened up similar to the dragon.

I put the blood effects on - it looks great! I also drybrushed the fur (beasty brown followed by the reddish parasite brown on the tips). I need to work on the shields and do the skulls hanging below the head and chest, and I'll be able to attach the head and put the whole shebang on the base.

Week 5: 1250 points

Chaos Sorcerer, Mark of Slaanesh, Level 2 (Shadow), Talisman of Preservation

Exalted, Mark of Slaanesh, BSB, Enchanted Shield, Talisman of Endurance

8 Chosen, Mark of Slaanesh, shields, full command, Standard of Discipline

5 Hellstriders, Musician

5 Hellstriders, Musician

A few points left over to give someone a magic weapon.

• Like 1