GG and Battlefront Products - what is going on

barca

Information has been coming in drips and drabs on GG's support or not of Battlefront products.

"Prodded by a desire for truth and understanding, the smallest of the mice clan crawled up the mountain. As close to the summit as she dared venture, she stopped and tentatively squeaked a question to the wizard. To her surprise, a wise and clear answer issued forth from the summit..."

Here is the position of GG on their Battlefront merchandise, as of 12/4/2015:

"...For now my plan has been to cancel all pre-orders and liquidate what is on the shelf. We'll still carry terrain, books, and GF9 products, and be more than happy to special order stuff in for customers.

And still want Team Yankee. But won't re-order it when it sells unless a customer specifically asks.

...What everyone needs to know is that we are NOT dropping support of the game. We endorse and encourage all games at Guardian. (FoW is one of my personal faves). What we are doing is planning on using the space soon to be freed up to bring in a product line that will be better for business. Better for business means gaining new customers, having better margins, and better turns on inventory. Doing that is what will keep us around and therefore allow us to still dabble in games like Flames of War.

...Believe in us and our ability to order items in for you as requested. Trust that we'll have starter packs on hand and rulebooks as long as we can have access.

...All these thoughts and decisions are not final. As a person and business owner I am very open-minded and very optimistic. I hope one day Flames of War will be the rock star it once was and can justify 5% of my shelf space. But for the meantime, we have to put more focus into other games and game lines...."

This turn of events does not change any of the events in the pipeline for the Rose City Dukes and Duchesses group.

If anyone has any follow-up questions, they should contact the staff at GG.

If anyone would like to discuss this with me, ping my Ordo account, or meet me in person on Thursday evenings at GG. I can be recognized as the owner of olive green Flames of War Battlefoam kit bags and Brash Canadians or Grim Russians on the tabletop.

• Like 1

Wait they are canceling all their pre-orders?  As in our pre-orders for TY?

Also I'm surprised that they haven't done this sooner, I mean we are a niche group of what 6-10 local guys, and we are taking up how much shelf space?  I mean only people interested in Flames of War are really going to purchase anything.  I hope that they keep around a shelf or two of main box sets for new players but other than that I'm fine with ordering everything I'm interested in through GG and let them free up the shelf space.  Glad to see that they are still committed to supporting us as a group.

Re: TY, I think if that was included in the cancellations, we would have gotten an email to that effect.

T.S. Also did pre-order, and no word from him that his order was cancelled.

So, I will go forward on the assumption that the TY pre-orders are still good.
I am designing posters/placards and writing the ads for promo, but will not print/post them until after Dec 12.

One of my major time sinks is freeing up some next year - so that will help some...  An overall 2016 calendar would be great  if you could get one together!  

I'd love to do an EW tournament at some point - I still need to get my Polish Black Brigade out on the table...

I second this, I love late-war, but lets get some Early war and Mid war back into the mix!  On top of that we have Team Yankee!  So many toys, so little time...

I am flexible on locations. In 2016, I will probably be doing demo games in game stores within practical driving distance of my house (SW portland). Primary goal is to increase number of players. Running demos requires having 2 players doing the demo to make it work.

I also expect to do mini's games 2-3 days a week. Those days could be at different locations. See wandering vagabond grognard.

It might be possible to convince a different game store to stock fow, or Team Yankee, or both. There would have to be enough people playing and buying to get the store's commitment to stock.

It can be done, but might be a slow process.

The Portland Game Store is new. Somebody could talk to them, and try a few things.

This is anecdotal, so have your own view on what it means to you.

Sunday, I combed through the box sets at GG to get a good bargain and get the core of my next early war FoW army.

I settled on an army box of French infantry and guns. At 50% off Way better than buying blister packs. Most or all of it I could use.

The striking fact is that the date on the price tag sticker was 12/17/2010.

No way to tell if it was a GG price stickler, or some other store.

Point is, that GG has stock that has sat on somebody's retail shelf for 5 years.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Would love to see you guys play at wow. I just took advantage of liquidation and got rulebook and open fire. So far rules seem very cool and should fulfill my war gaming love. I'm thinking I want to run Germans possiblely look at expanding to a general Rommel force. Not sure if that is thing or not, very new

• Like 1

This is anecdotal, so have your own view on what it means to you.

Sunday, I combed through the box sets at GG to get a good bargain and get the core of my next early war FoW army.

I settled on an army box of French infantry and guns. At 50% off Way better than buying blister packs. Most or all of it I could use.

The striking fact is that the date on the price tag sticker was 12/17/2010.

No way to tell if it was a GG price stickler, or some other store.

Point is, that GG has stock that has sat on somebody's retail shelf for 5 years.

Umm...I was in GG Sunday as well looking for the Burning Empires book(didn't see it),though I did see some stuff I would like to have.Is the 50% off deal still going??? cuz I thought that was just for the Black Friday sale.

If so I need to get my ass back there!

Would love to see you guys play at wow. I just took advantage of liquidation and got rulebook and open fire. So far rules seem very cool and should fulfill my war gaming love. I'm thinking I want to run Germans possiblely look at expanding to a general Rommel force. Not sure if that is thing or not, very new

If your looking for Rommel, you can find him in the Early War book "Blitzkrieg" or the Mid War book "Africa".  

Thank you. So how does that work do we need to agree on a book to play from or Just match a period and you are good?

Typically just a time period will do.  You can agree on a theater as well, but two companies from different theaters but same era are usually balanced.  I personally feel that playing with lists from the same theater really enhance the game but its far from a necessity.

It seems to be who is asked or running the checkout as when I was in there I was told also that only the miniatures are 50% off as I wanted some of the FoW Battlefield in a Box stuff like gun entrenchments so ended up putting them back.

FYI ...  I was told that Rule books are not part of the 50% sale and Paint is also not part of the sale.