Rate the Last Movie You Saw

If "like Hunger Games" means it has a girl in it, then I can agree with you. Otherwise, wtf are you talking about? The two movies are nothing alike.

I liked Divergent much better than hunger games. And as a father, I am so glad my daughter loves Divergent. I went and saw it with her and her face was lit up like Christmas morning the whole time (she's 13 and has read the book like 7 times). My only issue with Divergent was that there wasn't enough background for the world. I got how Chicago worked, but there seemed to be strange technology separations between the groups and an unexplained lack of info about the outside world. Perhaps the book explains all this. I don't really fault the movie, it is already over 2 hours long. If anything, it means I was invested in it and wanted to know more.

No, it's not as simplistic as that.  I enjoy female leads, except in AVP, that bizzle needed to die a long horrible death.  The comparisons to me included, but weren't limited to: Teen Angst, Dystopian Future with oppressive government setup to "prevent warring," a coming of age ritual (the hunger game and the test/choosing ceremony), Angsty Hormonal Teen takes on the powers that be and starts the seeds of revolution.  Mind you, I'm not the first, nor the last to make the comparison.  I'm sure others have done so in a far more articulate fashion.  

Like I said before, I loved the movie, will end up seeing it multiple times and can't wait to see the next film.  I'm not sure if I'd go so far as to read the books, but I agree, I'd love to know more about the larger world, what caused Chi-town to go all isolationist, what's going on with the rest of the world, why are they only afraid of a ground invasion (I saw nothing suggestive of Anti-Air/Air Force), etc. 

are we really arguing over divergent? 

Who was arguing?  BroG was asking for me to expand my previous comparison.  ;)

I'm the husband of a 7th grade teacher, I therefore am cursedwatching all these type of movies. This time I really enjoyed it but that isn't always the case... I'm looking at you twilight! I want my hours back

I watched the first two (maybe 3? I'm not sure) Twilight movies for one simple reason: I don't believe you have a solid ground to stand on when complaining about how sh!tty a movie is unless you've seen it.  I watched them, I can call them out for how....well, honestly, I don't care to talk about Twilight anymore than this:

Still-a-better-love-story-than-twilight-

edit: http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/4-cliche-things-every-dystopian-young-adult-movie-does/  

• Like 2

No, it's not as simplistic as that.  I enjoy female leads, except in AVP, that bizzle needed to die a long horrible death.  The comparisons to me included, but weren't limited to: Teen Angst, Dystopian Future with oppressive government setup to "prevent warring," a coming of age ritual (the hunger game and the test/choosing ceremony), Angsty Hormonal Teen takes on the powers that be and starts the seeds of revolution.  Mind you, I'm not the first, nor the last to make the comparison.  I'm sure others have done so in a far more articulate fashion.  

Like I said before, I loved the movie, will end up seeing it multiple times and can't wait to see the next film.  I'm not sure if I'd go so far as to read the books, but I agree, I'd love to know more about the larger world, what caused Chi-town to go all isolationist, what's going on with the rest of the world, why are they only afraid of a ground invasion (I saw nothing suggestive of Anti-Air/Air Force), etc. 

I watched the first two (maybe 3? I'm not sure) Twilight movies for one simple reason: I don't believe you have a solid ground to stand on when complaining about how sh!tty a movie is unless you've seen it.  I watched them, I can call them out for how....well, honestly, I don't care to talk about Twilight anymore than this:

edit: http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/4-cliche-things-every-dystopian-young-adult-movie-does/

If you put in that much time on twilight already you owe it to yourself to watch the last one. Such an Awesome battle! The battle to end all vampire battles!

I hate to say this, but I still have to disagree with nearly all of your post. Here is why:

Coming of Age:

HG: there was no coming of age ritual here. The lottery spanned like 10 years of your life if not more. It just happened to hit Catnis(sp?) right at that late teenage age.

D: the choosing was very much a coa ritual. But after that it was all about fitting in with your clan.

Dystopian Future:

HG: hard to say actually, as I suppose it is earth? But I don't recall the movies ever giving me anything that would relate it to our timeline. So kind of hard to call it a dystopian future. I could be swayed since it has technology that we don't, thus it is futuristic.

D: Takes place in Chicago, so definite link. However, the society they have seems to be very good for the most part. The general populace is happy. Hard to call that Dystopian.

Oppressive Government:

HG: Yes, the government is oppressive due to keeping the various districts uneven in work vs reward.

D: this story is about a coup. The actual government was led by the people who most wanted to help others.

Teen Angst:

Actually, neither movie is about teen angst. HG is about survival, pure and simple. You want teen angst, watch the first season of any CW show. Divergent's struggle was not teen based, it was due to who she was (ie a divergent). Were her struggles relate-able to teens? you bet. But again, not the source of the plot.

Hormonal teen starts a rebellion:

Wow, do you have a teen, or do you just assume that if a teen is the focus of a movie, it must be hormonal? Perhaps you are a CW watcher and it has tainted you. :)

But seriously, HG had nothing to do with hormones. She is just trying to survive and keep her family alive. She's actually the last person to know about any rebellion. And in Divergent, they are trying to stop a horrible wrong from being committed during the coup. So no rebellion there either. She's trying to save the status quo.

Now maybe it is because my daughter is huge fans of both that I've seen them too many times, but they are much better stories than what you are portraying. I think there is more depth to them and that they can't so easily be pigeon holed as typical "teen" movies.

IMHO of course. :)

• Like 1

I have not seen Divergent… mostly because I hate the advertising for the movie… (ie. trailers that repeat the name to me 20+ times lol).  it looks interesting… but the trailers annoy me… thus taint the option for me to see it first run lol.  I will probably catch it sometime later on netflix or something lol.  But your "discussion" makes it sound interesting guys.  :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Godzilla - 6.5/10 (leaning to a 7)

The king of monsters returns.  Good solid movie.  I will say I liked Pacific Rim better from a monsters and action standpoint.  But this is a great movie and Godzilla looks awesome.  IMO his opponents, not as cool looking, but still very good.

Definitely worth seeing in the theater.  Did not see it in 3D so can't comment on that.

• Like 1

I'm going to have to insist that any of you with HBO access watch the following:

True Detective: Police procedural / character study in the bayou, with a super creepy atmosphere. VERY well done. Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey star.

Eastbound and Down: Irreverent comedy done right... about an egomaniac washed up baseball star, his foul mouthed but submissive toady, and tons of other characters that come and go. Great writing, pacing, and delivery. Definitely on the offensive side. Danny McBride stars, but don't miss Will Ferrell's character.

Curb Your Enthusiasm: From Seinfeld co-creator Larry David, a parody of his own life in LA with lots of misunderstandings and narrative irony.

Game Of Thrones: Duh

Bored To Death: An aspiring NYC writer tries his hand at being an unlicensed Private Eye. Lots of nods to noir and a fair amount of stoner jokes. Zach Galifianakis, Jason Schwartzman and Ted Danson all take turns being hilarious.

On Netflix streaming, Attack On Titan is well executed and beautifully drawn. I am super picky about anime, this is one of the best. Season 2 is supposedly going to be released in July.

For current movies, I just saw Neighbors and it was funnier than I expected. 8/10. A young couple trying to stay hip feuds with a frat house. They have a baby that gets left at home a lot. Lots of dick jokes. Seth Rogen plays the same witty stoner he always does, and Rose Byrne was pretty good as Rogen's wife. For the frat Zac Efron is actually a great fit for his role, Jr. Franco is decent, but Christopher Mintz Plasse gets on my nerves. Tons of cameos. There are some pretty unrealistic elements, but it's a screwball comedy. Charming people doing reprehensible things works here, although you have to be in the right mood for some of the bawdier / dumb material. This is basically a Judd Apatow style movie.

Godzilla - 6.5/10 (leaning to a 7)

The king of monsters returns.  Good solid movie.  I will say I liked Pacific Rim better from a monsters and action standpoint.  But this is a great movie and Godzilla looks awesome.  IMO his opponents, not as cool looking, but still very good.

Definitely worth seeing in the theater.  Did not see it in 3D so can't comment on that.

Agree with you 100%, Ando. I will add that just like Pacific Rim, this movie is best seen in 3D/IMAX. The story is just not captivating enough to keep your attention without the eye candy. 

When has a Godzilla movie ever had a captivating story?

Actually the first movie (and not the Raymond Burr U.S. edit) is plays as a horror film and Godzilla is the thing tying together how they act and work together and you don't see him proper till the 2nd act of the film.

Just about all have a theme about what humans do to each other or the planet have a story around the humans who are fighting against the monsters and are not just an excuse for big monster fights though some are admittedly better than others at it.

• Like 1

When has a Godzilla movie ever had a captivating story?

True, but what I meant was; I thought that Pacific Rim was an interesting fresh take on the whole "Giant Monsters" milieu. This Godzilla movie doesn't really bring anything new to the table. Which can be good or bad, depending on your tastes. 

• 2 months later...

Saw inception. Maybe 7/10. I followed the plot, but it was certainly one of those ones where its complication is the plot. Very similar to ocean's 11, but with a matrix/sci-fi setting. A decent movie with no major issues, but lacking anything to make it stand on its own as a truly good movie. I will probably not re-watch, but I don't regret the time watching it.

Saw inception. Maybe 7/10. I followed the plot, but it was certainly one of those ones where its complication is the plot. Very similar to ocean's 11, but with a matrix/sci-fi setting. A decent movie with no major issues, but lacking anything to make it stand on its own as a truly good movie. I will probably not re-watch, but I don't regret the time watching it.

wow, just wow.

• Like 1

wow, just wow.

Incepted!

• Like 1

Saw transformers 4. Metacritic has it right (32/100), this was a pretty bad movie. Plot is loose thread to link over two hours of action scenes. I would have been fine with just action, I found their plot both poorly written, bland, and negative. The other three movies had much better plots, and more so, they were at least upbeat/patriotic in theme. This film was depressing in plot, with an anti-patriotic vibe never addressed in plot resolution.

I think if they cut it to 1.5 hours, ditching all the plot and just had pointless bot on bot fight scenes, it would be a much better movie.

watched Snowpiercer last night … loved it myself - great story and nice twists.  refreshing scifi doesn't happen that often imo.  lots of action… cool movie with a deeper plot.  4 /5 stars :)

I saw this too. Really happy that unique approaches like this are getting the green light. So many action/sci fi films follow a common formula. It's nice to see a change up. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

From recent movie/painting binge

Finally saw robocop. Man I loved it, only for the commentary on AI and ethical debate on law enforcement. Granted they could have explored this more but of all these 80s remakes I loved it. The action on the other hand was bland and uninspiring. 7/10.

Monuments Men 6/10, was good but felt the ending was a bit rushed. Also the build up was lacking and character development was bland. Hi you are in my gang ok great, oh yeah you are an architect, that is why you are an art expert. Wait how do I know this guy from 10 states away?

2 guns, worst Denzel and markie markie film I have seen. I like both a lot though Denzel has had far more bad movies, book of Eli. Markie Markie I can't think of a movie I didn't not like he was in, outside of this one. Wife and I hated it, was just a terrible story and terrible execution. The plot was just horrible. 2/10

47 Ronin I don't know what I watched. The folklore I am not too familiar with, but it just lacked and the magic in it was a joke, I use it when I want not when I need it... Though graphically beautiful. Pirates and samurais... really?

So yeah while wandering through copyright violations on you tube I stumbled on a Jess Franco German production. The Devil Came From Akasava which I had the music for already on this CD. It was not good. Something about a stone that will turn anything to gold, except for humans who just get a major tan and zombie like demeanor and Scotland Yard and the Secret Service trying to get it from the bad guy. The only thing I can say to almost recommend the film is you get to see Soledad Miranda in the nude quite a bit and the totally trippy and out there soundtrack. 4/10

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Ifrankenstien holy [big bad swear word]. I really mean it is holy [big bad swear word]. A bunch of [big bad swear word]ty religious themes guised in [big bad swear word]ty action sequences.

Mr. Two face why? You were great in thank you for smoking.

1/10. Twilight series was way more entertaining.

• Like 2