Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Maleficent 

I really enjoyed it.  Wouldn't say it's my favorite Disney movie, but overall, I thought it was really well done, even if they're trying to Lucas established lore.  I watched it a couple times with family over the last few weeks.  I'd watch it again.  Very kid friendly, I felt.  Maybe like 9+.

Age judgement calls, may be slight spoilers

Maleficent is drugged and has her wings cut off, Woodelves vs Knights, lots of death of Knights, Dragon vs Knights fight is pretty intense, too.  I'd say too much for a 5/6 year old.  7/8 depending on how they respond to fantasy action.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

after missing out on the spring and summer 'classes' it is bad movie review time.

The Wild World of Batwoman : 3/10 : This one was pretty incoherent possibly helped by using footage from other films for filler that just confused for the most part instead of filling in. I don't know how the director/writer/producer Jerry Mitchell got away with the footage of The Mole People but DC comics did sue over the movie name AND LOST as a title can not be copyrighted and Jerry being a man of principle I guess turned down $300,000 in 1965 (just over 2 million today adjusted for inflation) to not release and destroy the prints. He couldn't have spent that much on it and for sure didn't make that much. Anyway if you feel the need to watch this I highly suggest the MST3K version as even bikini clad dancing batgirls do not help with how bad this was.

• Like 1

It was a good movie this week.

Them! :8/10: The first and probably the best of the giant insect movies. James Arness and James Whitmore battle against giant mutant ants resulting from the Trinity test 9 years earlier. A nice use of the LA river sewer system for the finale. This was a box office hit and made big money for Warner Brothers. Fun fact Uncle Walt who had studios next door had asked for an early print to watch and when he returned it he asked if he could have the nice young actor for the upcoming Davy Crockett series and Warner's had assumed he meant James Arness but no Walt wanted Fess Parker who had a bit part as a Texas pilot who spotted one of the escaped flying queen ants and was stuck in the rubber room. Also if you watch closely you can see Leonard Nimoy as an Air Force Sergent.

Next week is a Larry Buchanan film to make up for how good this one was.

• Like 1

Maleficent - 9/10. Had no idea what this movie was going into it. Didn't start to catch on until the 3 fairies went to see the baby. This movie was great on so many levels. 

Batman: Assault on Arkham - 7/10. Kind of weak story overall, but oh my....this is another of the DC line that is pushing the rating limits....Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelloooooo Harley Quinn....

• Like 1

Maleficent - 9/10. Had no idea what this movie was going into it. Didn't start to catch on until the 3 fairies went to see the baby. This movie was great on so many levels. 

Batman: Assault on Arkham - 7/10. Kind of weak story overall, but oh my....this is another of the DC line that is pushing the rating limits....Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelloooooo Harley Quinn....

I knew what it was going into it and didn't have high hopes, honestly.  My preconceptions were blown outta the sky.  Great movie!

If they took their cinematic universe to Flash Point Paradox level of grit, I think they'd manage to gain a better footing than they've had vs MCU.

• Like 1

Creature Of Destruction: 2/10 : A direct and even cheaper remake of The She Creature made specifically for TV starring Les Tremayne. Part of a deal from AIP to redo some movies for the late night horror host shows that were popular at the time. Larry Buchanan delivered in color and under budget mostly due to shooting on 16mm film which shows on a big screen but probably worked just fine on the TV sets of the late 60's. The creature suit makes even the worst power rangers monster look like a masterpiece. There is obvious and painful padding with pauses between lines of dialog. This is not a film for watching, this is a film for laying down and avoiding.

Lots of fun this week.

Last Sunday an Italian horror triple feature and pizza party. Yay pizza and Lucio Fulci a great combination.

The House By The Cemetery : 6/10: A history professor wants to pick up on the research of a colleague who recently disappeared under mysterious circumstances and moves out to the new england house the disappearance happened in. What could possibly go wrong with that. Italian movie logic reigns in this otherwise creepy gorefest from Lucio Fulci that is a decent story even with the logical inconsistencies and not quite what I expected for the ending.

Burial Ground :4/10: yeah not much to say about this one, archeologist awakens ancient Etruscans who have a hunger for the living and yeah thats pretty much it and a really creepy incest/oedipal thing with some of the main characters/victims/reasons to have zombies do gross things with guts and blood that is entirely too pink in color. On the plus side a lot of if not good but unique zombie masks and good use of worms and maggots on the zombies. I was amazed at the number of different ones that were used rather than go cheap and just shoot the same ones over and over, they went cheap on the acting budget for this one but still a lot of fun if you like Italian zombie films.

Demons :7/10: Directed by Lamberta Bava son of Mario Bava. This was the best produced of the 3. A young woman gets a pass to a preview screening from a creepy masked man in the subway she and her friend ditch music class to go see it and it turns out to be a possesed theater and everyone is turning into demons which go out kill and infect the living to turn into more demons, etc, etc. lots of good 80s synth and metal music for a soundtrack. Lots of green goo for demon blood, spit, whatevers.

Schlock Cinema class on Thursday

Snowbeast :6/10: A made for TV movie from 1977. Jaws on the ski slope basically with a bigfoot gone bad as the monster. Reasonably well paced.though there was a fair amount of extra time devoted to the skiing scenes. 

And on Halloween night

The Little Shop of Horrors: :8/10: Amazing bit of cult cinema and a good movie considering it took them a week to get an idea/script/rehersals etc. Shot in 2 days. Roger Corman got a studio with sets for a week and made the best of it on the cheap. The supporting characters are really great, the story is actually coherent and holds up well and Audrey Jr is quite good looking for the rush job that it was. While not the first time I have seen this, it was the first time I wasn't distracted by other things while watching. I had totally missed out on the banter of the two cops being a dead on imitation of Joe and Frank from the early Dragnet shows.

The 8; yep 8 trailers before the movie was annoying.

I've never understood this tactic. Do trailers make you more likely to see a film? They certainly don't do it for me. If anything, they often mislead me into not seeing good movies in the theaters because their trailers lack the elements of the movie I actually want to see.

I've never understood this tactic. Do trailers make you more likely to see a film? They certainly don't do it for me. If anything, they often mislead me into not seeing good movies in the theaters because their trailers lack the elements of the movie I actually want to see.

Trailers often talk me out of a movie as well, either because they convince me that it is something else or because they show me the whole movie...  Plot, story, special effects and all the good one-liners already spoiled....

Yeah, but they do work for enough people that it's worth it to the studios. There's no way they'd be putting out trailers if they weren't getting enough butts in seats to more than pay for themselves. I feel certain there are people out there who have done all sorts of statistical analysis on movie revenue vs. how the film was promoted and found that spamming trailers does actually improve viewership.

• Like 1