Rate the Last Movie You Saw

5 hours ago, Duckman said:

I haven't seen Rampage because I generally don't want to support trying to make up a story around a video game.  I just see it turning into the reductio ad absurdum case of explaining why we have to run back and forth with planks that we carry on our shoulders to bounce a ball back up off the ground like some insane Japanese gameshow contestants.  If you had a real story you'd sell it on its own merits instead of trying to tie it to a property that would garner nostalgia.

The storyline in Rampage knows it's unnecessary. It does a pretty good job of staying out of the way of what we came for, which is watching a bunch of giant monsters fight a city.

• Like 1

Marvel Super Hero Adventures: Frost Fight!: Not a whole lot of substance, but it is a whole lot of fun. High points include the Hulk explaining Christmas to Thor. The only real low point is Captain Marvel's hair. Who decided that was a good look?

Bigfoot vs. Zombies: Bad in all the best ways. But do I really have to tell you that? Honestly, this is one of those flicks where the title alone should be all the information you need to decided whether or not you want to watch it.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Raindog said:

Captain America, The First Avenger: It is not a movie as a series of vignettes. I still really like it. 

The more times I watch that, the more I wish we'd gotten a whole WWII Cap trilogy. Something like CA: Origin (up to the rescue mission at Azzano), CA and The Howling Commandos (there to Bucky's fall), and CA: The First Avenger (the rampage against Hydra).

• Like 3

Re-re-re-watched the classic Flash Gordon from 1980. A low-budget film that tries to recap a decade’s worth of comic strips from fifty years before it filmed into a single 114 minute film, starring a leading man chosen for how good he looked instead of any kind of acting ability and surrounded by a cast of supporting actors who are waaaay too good to be in this kind of film... and holy hell, it somehow all works.

It’s alternately campy, trippy, and comedic. The whole thing is clearly a “love letter” to childhood flights of imagination... I was born a year after this movie came out, so as a kid I didn’t have any sort of nostalgic connection to the comic strip (which began in the 30’s and is still running) or the old movie serials, radio dramas, or whatever... But kids of pretty much every generation had some sort of Space Hero Adventure fantasy, right? This movie is targeted directly at every man’s inner Eight Year Old Boy. 

Plus, the music was written, performed, and produced by Queen. So, c’mon, how can it not be good?

• Like 3

Crush the Skull: Most Comedy Horror movies are fundamentally comedies that just make use of the tropes and trappings of horror flicks as the basis for their humour. Crush the Skull is one that goes the other direction. It's a horror movie, and a fairly hardcore one at that, that happens to have some surprisingly funny bits in it. Very well done for what it is, but it's a mix that will probably feel jarring to a lot of people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, WestRider said:

Crush the Skull: Most Comedy Horror movies are fundamentally comedies that just make use of the tropes and trappings of horror flicks as the basis for their humour. Crush the Skull is one that goes the other direction. It's a horror movie, and a fairly hardcore one at that, that happens to have some surprisingly funny bits in it. Very well done for what it is, but it's a mix that will probably feel jarring to a lot of people.

I watched based on your review and thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Like 2

a0833845ed3e1cd1fae434994b7492aa.jpg

The Man Who Would Be King (1975) it’s Sean Connery and Michael Caine in their prime, directed by John Huston, in the sort of epic quest adventure that was Huston’s signature style. Based on a short story by Kudyard Kipling, but in a greatly expanded story with a script by Huston... One of the rare cases where the film is better than the original prose (and I say that as a huge Kipling fanboy).

Connery and Caine are a pair of former British infantry NCO’s turned conmen and grifters who set out across the Afghanistan Plain and over the Hindu Kush, seeking to take over the primative tribes of Kafiristan and become kings. Much epic questing ensues.

If your the sort of person who always wonder what it’d be like if Road to El Dorado had been a Tarantino movie instead of children’s cartoon; if you’re the sort of person who — despite being a 21st Century American — feels their heart swell with patriotic pride whenever you watch Zulu or Sharpe’s Waterloo; or you just really want to see Sean Connery and Michael Caine on screen together... Highly recommended.

4.5 outta 5 stars.

• Like 5

Ready Player One 5/10
I know I am in the minority here but I think it is stupid. I have about 10-15 minutes left in it and I doubt I will finish it. The problem is that not only were the 80's my teenage years, I was a massive nerd. The movie plays an obvious series of clichés to me. The final clue is in the hidden room in Adventure? Um, duh. I think the movie and the book (barely made it an entire chapter in that turd) are actually made for younger people who idealize the clichés of what the 80's "were all about." Bleah.

Tomb Raider (2018) 6/10
+1 point for Vikander who did her best with a wimpy version of Lara Croft. No real plot and the puzzles were dumb. I am also getting really tired of movies that waste Walton Goggins in a cardboard cutout bad guy.

Rampage 7.5/10
A movie that know is role and plays it well. I wanted to see giant monster wreck a city and then each other and that is precisely what I got.

The Belko Experiment 7/10
Sort of Lord of the Flies meets Office Space with a whole lot of blood. I think that is supposed to have some commentary on the dehumanization of corporate America or something? Just watch it for guys and gals in suits murdering the stuffing out of each other.

Dawn of the Dead 8/10
Now HERE is a movie that understands subtext! People holed-up in a shopping mall bonding while fighting zombies. Love it!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I recently discovered the treasure trove of low budget schlock that is Tubi, so I've mostly been watching stuff that doesn't really need rating, like Piranhaconda. Tonight, tho, I found H.P. Lovecraft's The Thing on the Doorstep. It's not a great film, but it is pretty good, and more importantly, a very faithful adaptation of the original story, which is almost unheard of in Lovecraft adaptations.

• Thanks 1

On 12/29/2018 at 8:53 AM, dalmer said:

Avengers: Infinity War with wifey poo and the boy.  Everyone liked it until the end, whereupon my wife was very sad and didn't want to talk about it.  ha

I knew walking into the theater what the ending was likely to be -- having read The Infinity Gauntlet comics back when they were first published and knowing that this was part one of a two part event film. However, I was still moved by just how powerful those final scenes were shot, paced, and performed. There were audible gasps from many people in the theater when the Snap! happened and one kid (probably about seven or eight years old) actually screamed in horror when we saw it affect Spider-Man.

Damn good movie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Ish said:

I knew walking into the theater what the ending was likely to be -- having read The Infinity Gauntlet comics back when they were first published and knowing that this was part one of a two part event film. However, I was still moved by just how powerful those final scenes were shot, paced, and performed. There were audible gasps from many people in the theater when the Snap! happened and one kid (probably about seven or eight years old) actually screamed in horror when we saw it affect Spider-Man.

Damn good movie.

Just had the pleasure of rewatching it with the In-Laws a few days ago.
Marvel is doing one hell of a job and I can only hope and pray they keep it up and don't fall a part.

41 minutes ago, Romans832 said:

Venom - 8/10 - What a bizarre world to have Eddie conflicted with "not Spiderman".
The re-write of the symbiote was quite interesting.
Loved the forshadowing on *Spoiler* & *Spoiler*...
Are they planning to run this w/out Spiderman??

That will be a very interesting Venom Universe.

I really did like how well the origin story still played out, even without Spidey involved. And yeah, the plan at this time is to keep the two separate. They don't want all the kids who are all jazzed up from Spiderverse thinking this is more of the same.

• Thanks 1

They don't want all the kids who are all jazzed up from Spiderverse thinking this is more of the same.

They don’t want the film rights license to the Spider-Man IP to revert to Marvel Comics (and thereby get transferred to Marvel Studios) when they can keep milking money out of the stone.

• Haha 1

DMT: the Spirit Molecule

Inspired by Terrance McKenna, and Dr Strausmens research into the effects of DMT (and his book of same name), a substance found in many plants that has drastic, mind changing effects. 

This one is hard for me to rate. I encourage people to watch it. However, it has misinformation, or exaggeations at points, so it's hard to score high for that. It also is a bit like an episode of NOVA, in it's method, which can be difficult to score.

Related reading:

Dr R Strausmen - DMT the Spirit Molecule 

- compiled information from early 90s research from university new mexico

Michael Pollan - How to Change Your Mind 

-explores 5 meo DMT extracted from toads, psylocibe, and LSD. Also talks about research at john Hopkins into pyschotherapeutic uses of these compounds to treat multiple mental health issues.

• Like 1

Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse - 7/10 - very good flick. Wish it wasn't so seizure inducing (my only complaint). Love Doc Ock. Nailed Kingpin as well.

Aquaman - 6/10 - still not up to Marvel standards, but better. Some of the scenes were just "wow". What they can do today with CGI is just crazy. Thought it was a bit overused actually. Aged altered faces were a bit off too, but even marvel hasn't perfected that one yet. All in all, I think they just tried to do too much...and way too big of a story line for the first film. Honestly, what is left for him to do? Still feels like DC doesn't have a plan and this movie suffers a little from it. Probably falls just under WW though for DC films.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1