Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Trailers often talk me out of a movie as well, either because they convince me that it is something else or because they show me the whole movie...  Plot, story, special effects and all the good one-liners already spoiled....

I'm about to watch Godzilla with the roomie (rate it later) and she's watching the trailers.  She just said the same thing, nearly verbatim, after one of the trailers.  i didn't see it, because I was reading your comment lol  

Edge of Tomorrow looks interesting.  Like a cross between Vanilla Sky and Matrix.  

Assault on Arkham, I'm not diggin on the animation style, but the story looks fun.

Godzilla's starting.

• Like 1

Actually the first movie (and not the Raymond Burr U.S. edit) is plays as a horror film and Godzilla is the thing tying together how they act and work together and you don't see him proper till the 2nd act of the film.

Just about all have a theme about what humans do to each other or the planet have a story around the humans who are fighting against the monsters and are not just an excuse for big monster fights though some are admittedly better than others at it.

I just got around to hunting up a copy of Gojira and watching it. Took a bit of looking to find a subbed version that didn't have the commentary track, but it was worth it. Very well done film, overall.

The "secret weapon" that finally defeats Gojira is one of the more ridiculous I've ever seen, but I liked that the military tactics seemed much less stupid than is usual for these flicks (the airplanes actually staying out of reach and firing rockets at it, for instance. They didn't do much to it, but on the other hand, not a single one of them got swatted down). Also, it seems really common in movies these days for the monster or whatever to have a bunch of tricks, each of which gets used only once, despite other times when it would be great, but in this one, Gojira just has the one special ability, the flame breath, and uses it pretty much every time it seems warranted.

I also really like the aesthetic of those old black & white Japanese films. Lots of very understated scenes, with no background music or anything, and then that creates more of a contrast with the action scenes.

X-men days of future past: just bought this and watched it again. I think it stands out as one of the best X-men movies in that franchise. I think X-men 2 still holds the top spot, but this one comes in second, and then First class as third. I think a big reason for this one's jump is that it resets the franchise letting them correct the horrible mistake of X-men 3. :)

Will be interesting to see where this goes next. Actually looking forward to the next one because of this movie.

• Like 4

Spaceballs: Yeah, seen it before, but not for a while. I very much enjoyed it.

Airplane 2: Didn't expect to enjoy it. Despite the setting, it actually makes fun of the current airlines pretty well. Very enjoyable.

Goonies: 8/10.  Yes, I have seen it, but I watched it again with my daughter last night. I had a good time watching the movie. It is a story that could never be told in 2014.  It made me nostalgic for the 1980's………… My daughter thought is was a "good movie!"  

Yeah, it is a good movie.

Interstellar doesn't get such high reviews from me.  5/10 maybe.

Beautiful cinematography but the story had too many holes for me to enjoy it as anything more than eye-candy.  Kinda like dating a really hot chick that you can't stand to talk to for more than a minute at a time.  This will make a great demo piece for TV sales where the audio is turned off.   :rolleyes:

This is *not* about the McGuffin at the end.  You either suspend disbelief when you get to the pseudo science or you don't.  Nuff said.

The problem is the terribad writing in the middle.  I'm sitting in the theater when they announce the time dilation for the water planet.  Three things cross my mind immediately.  First - "Hrmm, that means that the pilot has been on the ground for just over an hour.  If fuel is such an issue, get on the damn radio.  It may take a year to get an answer back but you can be doing other things while you wait for the answer."  Second - "Weren't they supposed to spend time doing analysis before they sent a signal?  You're saying that your explorer triggered the signal within an hour of landing?"  Third - "Based on timing and the trailers this one cannot work out so you're being this stupid to raise tension?  That's terrible writing.  There are lots of ways to raise tension that don't require your physicists to be braindead."

Then they land on the planet with waves hundreds of feet tall and wade in 1-2' of water.  Why are these waves not rollers breaking instead of beautiful sine waves?  Second, why is the water not rushing all over the place in the trough like it would be whether you were breaking or not?  Third, why is your physicist not, again, screaming bloody murder because of basic first-year wave dynamics?

By the time I have gone through those problems, the McGuffin at the end was totally off-putting for me, never mind the behavior of Damon's character.

• Like 1

Batman and Robin

I'm torn on the rating.  At face value, as a 90s Batman flick, I give it 2 out 5.  I don't give it a 1, because it is one that I will re-watch every couple years.  It's not a 3, because of bad jokes and puns, god awful sets, the titular character's suits, BANE, etc.

Last night, while watching it, I decided it's a 4 out of 5 if held next to the Classic Batman show.  It is so very campy.  So many of the reasons I'd give it 1 or 2 out of 5 is what makes it so awesome as a Classic Reboot.  90s CGI, HD cameras and other modern advances are showcased.  It was a turn away from the Grim Dark of Burton's Batman.  That doesn't forgive the treatment of Bane, by any means.  It doesn't forgive the suits, either.  It does explain the movie, I feel.

Any thoughts on that?