Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Jupiter Ascending: Fun time, visually amazing. Kinda wish I'd seen it on the big screen. Channing Tatum looks way better with that jaw prosthetic than he usually does, too. My only real issue with it is the sound. Way too wide of a dynamic range. I kept having to turn it up to be able to hear the dialogue, and then back down to avoid being deafened by the action scenes.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WestRider said:

Jupiter Ascending: Fun time, visually amazing. Kinda wish I'd seen it on the big screen. Channing Tatum looks way better with that jaw prosthetic than he usually does, too. My only real issue with it is the sound. Way too wide of a dynamic range. I kept having to turn it up to be able to hear the dialogue, and then back down to avoid being deafened by the action scenes.

We love this movie! So sad it didn't do well enough for them to continue to explore the universe. This is the first movie with Mila Kunis that I wasn't immediately seeing her as Jackie from that 70s show. 

• Like 2

Ocean's Eight - or, how to kill off a franchise. I can't say there was anything really bad about the movie. But I also can't say there was anything good about the movie either. They took the Ocean's formula, used women, and then stripped out all the Coolness that made the previous movies so darn entertaining. And no real plot twist. Everything went as planned and they got away. zzzzzzzzzzz

Ocean's Eleven - or how to build a franchise. So then my wife and I watched the original remake (Clooney and Pitt). It was fantastic. It was subtle, it was fun, the chemistry worked great, and the music tied it all together. And the casting really worked. The best part were the plot twists too. The question of "could they pull it off" never left the table. So good.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Bro G... I think that fell off my "to watch list" but now I don't think I'll add it.

Equalizer 2 - 8/10 - Good movie, Denzel is a great actor. But I almost felt like we deviated from the premise of #1... I'll never argue with turn off brain and watch, but I was thrown off by it. If you had a different impression please share, I'd love a different view.

Glass - 9/10 - I skipped Split not knowing it was a part of a series and thought it was a horror and I skip those. Once Glass came out I started wondering... I feel like they did a great job of giving you a nice dose of story so you don't have to go back and watch. I thought it was an impressive twist on "hero" movies... instead we delve into the twisted mind of the villains and instead of glorifying it, keep it dark. Surprised with the ending... but maybe that goes with the dark aspect of the movie.

The Bell Witch Haunting: Very hit and miss, but some parts are really good. The use of the Found Footage structure is pretty badly done, which isn't helped by the fact that they couldn't maintain any kind of consistent chronology, and there are things like one date being listed as the 21th of January. My main reaction was that Cat Alter probably had a lot of fun filming some of the scenes where her character is full-on possessed and going to town on people.

All Light Will End: Objectively, I think this is a pretty solid horror flick. The way it tied into some of my issues (like difficulty telling the difference between my memories of dreams and memories of real life) made it an amazing horror movie for me. The chronology was a bit hard to follow, and if it goes like I think it does, there's some element there that I missed, but each scene, in that moment, was great. An excellent performance from lead actress Ashley Pereira, and a very promising first film for director Chris Blake.

Blood Widow: This is another flick where I kind of wonder if the people working on it had more experience in stage theatre than screen acting. It's clearly low budget, but a lot of the ways that manifests (cheesy effects, stilted acting) feel more stylized than just bad. The lack of backstory and motivation for the killer, combined with the ending, seem like they could have been a deliberate choice, to make it an even more nihilistic counterpoint to the usual slasher flicks. Or maybe it was just badly done. IDK. The Blood Widow's character design is really cool, tho, and I hope it gets some further attention, and maybe a follow-up, with enough budget and other resources to find out how much of that vibe was actually intentional.

The Taking: This one, on the other hand, is a flat out mess. I have no idea what was going on, at all. It was like someone took a music video for a Pain of Salvation knockoff band and tried to make it into a full length movie.

The End Of The Tour

A Rolling Stone reporter interviews author David Foster Wallace over the course of several days. 

It's a buddy picture, character study, reflection on mental illness and a dialogue about writing fiction. Overall I think it succeeds even with it's flaws. That's sort of the point. The subject suffers from depression and the movie, to me channels some of the reasons. I'm actually inclined not to make lists of pros and cons because I think the premise is really worthy and larger than any list of minor compliments and criticisms. 

One thing I will say, it's probably better for people who are not familiar with the real people portrayed in the script. Fans of Wallace will likely have too critical an eye and probably be irritated by how the performance relies heavily on costume and affectation. Or maybe not... if they are really into meta analysis they might actually love that. Either way, it's an earnest and authentic movie in my opinion. I think anyone who struggles with the creative process or being social will find something that resonates here. 

• Like 2

The Abominable Dr. Phibes: OK, I admit I'm not as solid on my biblical references as many, so I may be forgetting something, but I really don't remember any of the Plagues of Egypt involving people getting impaled by brass unicorn statues launched from catapults. Actually, there are only four of the ten deaths that really fit with any of the plagues when I looked them up: hail, locusts, the deaths of the first-born, and darkness. And the bats that kill the first victim are supposed to be scary, but I thought they were actually really cute. Still a pretty good flick, tho. Vincent Price is nicely creepy, even with the restrictions his role places on his voice and facial expression, and the "cat and mouse" between Phibes and Inspector Trout maintains good tension.

Alien: Covenant: I'm one of the few people I know who actually liked Prometheus, but Covenant fell apart for me. In the previous films, most of the stupidity was directly or indirectly ascribable to the Weyland-Yutani Corporation (or just Weyland before the merger) being run by people who were completely insulated from the consequences of their decisions, and who lacked any kind of practical experience in the areas their decisions concerned. They were made purely on the basis of potential profit and best-case assumptions, with no redundancy or backup plans for when things inevitably went wrong. Covenant had no such explanation for things like why they only had a single personnel lander, or why they decided to send it down immediately into the middle of a truly ludicrous storm rather than, say, waiting and observing the weather patterns from orbit for a while. There was no mention of the colony being a corporate-sponsored expedition with REMF bean-counters who stripped out all their backups or anything like that. As far as I can tell, these people were all vastly unqualified to be interstellar colonists at all, let alone the crew and commanders of a colony expedition. The Neomorphs were pretty cute, tho.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Over the past week, in no particular order:

Lair of the Beast aka Chupacabra Territory: Hilariously bad found footage. For no apparent reason, they added a ton of extra stuff to the chupacabra mythos, and the lead is way too enthusiastic about barging in on a creature that is said to be incredibly violent, highly territorial, and a very indiscriminate predator. Like, there are a couple of points where she has to go off and have some "private time" because she's so excited about being out here in its territory.

(Aside: Y'know, I kinda want to make a found footage "horror" movie that ends up with the dumbass kids all just starving to death or dying of exposure or eaten by bears or whatever. All the perfectly reasonable and entirely natural ways that a bunch of people this stupid and ill-prepared are likely to die out in the woods.)

The Last Exorcism: Now this one was not only a good use of the found footage style, but also one of the better exorcism movies I've seen. It's not perfect, but easily up there with They're Watching.

The Curse of the Crimson Altar: Gave it a try because it had Christopher Lee and Boris Karloff in it. Unfortunately, not one of the better works from either of them. Might be bad enough to get drunk with friends and make fun of it, MST3K style, tho.

Scream and Scream Again: Another that I went for on the basis of the cast, with Vincent Price, Christopher Lee, and Peter Cushing. Pretty good, despite horribly under-using their power combo there. Cushing only has one small scene, with neither of the others, and Price and Lee don't meet until the very end. Despite the title, it's really much more of a mystery/thriller kind of movie than a horror flick. It's also kind of a mess, because we're following three different strands of something, but can't see how they fit together until the end. But the way the do come together at the end is totally worth it.

• Like 1

You only Live Twice- A Sean Connery James Bond Film. It is racist, sexist, and bizarre. I have never seen it in it's entirety until this week end. It is has a ton of Austin Powers echoes. The screen play is written by Roaldl Dahl. 6/10. It is bad, but it is on Netflix!

Diamonds are Forever. Another Connery Bond. Blofeld is the same actor as Henderson in You only Live Twice. It has a quiping gay couple who kill everybody they met, a terrible opening, it is an awkard rip-off on Howard Hughes homage, and weird Bond girl. 5/10, but it is on Netflix.

Octopsussy. I thought this was terrible a a kid. It is much better than I remembered. Roger Moore is droll. The plot is remotely plausible.  7/10. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One from tonight, and one I forgot to mention from last week.

Lake Placid: All the parts involving animals, traps or snares, or Betty White, are awesome. The rest is garbage.

Boar: I want to imagine that the high concept pitch for this was "Babe goes Cujo". A very good monster-based horror flick. Makes me wonder why the Outback isn't used more often as a horror locale, since it can be as isolated and dangerous as any of the (ant)arctic or alpine settings these movies tend to have these days. Some excellent performances easily make up for the fact that the special effects for the Boar itself are less than stellar. And I want to see Nathan Jones show up in The Fast and the Furious series at some point here. He could loom over Dwayne Johnson by as much as Johnson looms over Vin Diesel.

15 hours ago, Romans832 said:

SpaceBalls - 9/10 balls - Introduced the wife to it tonight. It was so much fun catching new quirks I had never noticed.

We really gotta get mel brooks making movies again. 

The Predator: Fun flick, good cast, nice energy among the main group, some good action scenes. The kid is mostly annoying, but what else is new. Captures more of the cheesy 80s action flick vibe from the original than I thought possible these days, and has one of the best inverted call-backs I've heard in a while.

Rapid Fire Reviews:

• Hatchet 2: Victor Crowley sounds exactly like a monster from Scooby Doo.
  • The Hatching: Lake Placid knockoff, worse in every regard.
  • Look Away: Slow and dark. I liked it, but not sure I'd recommend it.
  • The Apparition: Bad, but it has Sebastian Stan.
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2019 at 7:58 AM, necrontyr said:

Saw Captain Marvel last night, and it was pretty awesome. Great fights, great CGI, much better humor than I was expecting. Brie Larson nailed, Samuel L. Jackson of course nailed it, and Goose the kitty was the best. 8/10

Time for the Endgame.

Did they pull off a strong female lead? I really want them to succeed at it.

On 3/3/2019 at 11:40 PM, Raindog said:

Diamonds are Forever. Another Connery Bond. Blofeld is the same actor as Henderson in You only Live Twice. It has a quiping gay couple who kill everybody they met, a terrible opening, it is an awkard rip-off on Howard Hughes homage, and weird Bond girl. 5/10, but it is on Netflix.

Mr. Wint was played by Bruce Glover... Crispin Glover's dad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1