Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Finally got around to watching Suicide Squad.

Not great, but I didn't understand the hate it got at all. I was expecting to be subjected to Jared Leto's over-acting all movie long based on what I'd heard. He was barely in the movie and the character design was way more over-the-top than his acting.

Maybe it's just the incredibly low expectations I had based on what I'd heard, but when it was over I just shrugged and thought it was merely fine.

The quintessential 5/10.

1 hour ago, Munkie said:

Not great, but I didn't understand the hate it got at all. I was expecting to be subjected to Jared Leto's over-acting all movie long based on what I'd heard. He was barely in the movie and the character design was way more over-the-top than his acting.

Maybe it's just the incredibly low expectations I had based on what I'd heard, but when it was over I just shrugged and thought it was merely fine.

The quintessential 5/10.

Will Smith is who lead the anti-Leto march. I thought he was fantasic with what he had to work with.

Captain Marvel (8/10)  I enjoyed it more than a lot of Marvel movies, though there were places that could have been improved.  Still, I'd definitely watch it again and we will probably end up adding it to our collection.

Aquaman (6.5/10)  I wanted to like this a lot more, but the pacing in DC universe movies is still just awful.  No matter what the subject matter is, every scene is rushed and earnest.  They try to cram so much seriousness into every single moment and it totally takes away from any breaks or comedic relief that they've attempted to sneak in.   I'd rate it lower but giant sea creatures and crab people bump it up because reasons.  

4 hours ago, Munkie said:

The quintessential 5/10.

I just watched Aquaman and feel much the same.  It's not that the movies are necessarily bad, they are just stupid.  The characters make stupid speeches and stupid decisions.

I'm still trying to figure out Marvel managed to make the Captain American, the most boring boy scout relic of the 40's , into the compelling hero he has become but DC can't do anything even remotely like that for Superman, potentially the greatest super hero of all time.  The actually make progress with Aquaman but he goes overboard on the bro-tasm.

3 hours ago, Yarbicus said:

I just watched Aquaman and feel much the same.  It's not that the movies are necessarily bad, they are just stupid.  The characters make stupid speeches and stupid decisions.

I'm still trying to figure out Marvel managed to make the Captain American, the most boring boy scout relic of the 40's , into the compelling hero he has become but DC can't do anything even remotely like that for Superman, potentially the greatest super hero of all time.  The actually make progress with Aquaman but he goes overboard on the bro-tasm.

I think DC movies just lack heart. They'd fit in perfectly fine with the kind of comic movies we were getting 15-20 years ago. They are what they are and accomplish what they're going for but just don't have that secret sauce that some of the better marvel movies have that make them special.

I've got to completely disagree with you on the Cap vs Superman front. Captain America, himself, isn't a particularly interesting hero but he's a narrative gold mine. Being out of time and out of place he offers the chance for an introspective look on the state of America now vs the idealism of a bygone age. This, specifically, is what made Winter Soldier so good. Caught up in the post 9/11 world of paranoia and desperation to protect everyone from ever-present super criminal and terrorist threats, Shield was willing to go to ever more extreme lengths of espionage, invasions of privacy, and hovering death machines to neutralize threats before they materialize...and the dangerous precedent that sets.

On top of that, he offers the "zero to hero" narrative that is so deeply ingrained in American culture. We're absolute suckers for that arc.

Superman on the other hand is a walking, talking, leaping over a building with a single bound (actually, [big bad swear word] it, let's just make him fly) cheat code.

He was born with godlike powers and writing stories where he's believably challenged is difficult to do. You have exactly 3 avenues:

1) Use kryptonite. An incredibly rare (yet as readily available as the story requires) mineral. An Achilles' heal that's been used many, many times for over 80 years isn't intersting.

2) Have him fight an equally powerful godlike being. As if one god wasn't unrelatable enough. The scale of destruction and the epic fights can be cool artistically but it's kind of an empty story.

3) Have someone get leverage on him and undermine his power. This is the trickiest to write in a convincing way, but also the most engaging. The miniaturized city of Kandor is probably the best example.

Superman is difficult to write because you have to find a way to humanize him. Cap is easy to write because he's a juxtaposition in a can. He can express the societal angst many of us feel and it's immediately relatable. Even if his idealism is naive, he occupies a head space many pine for.

Holy wall of text, Batman!

I agree with most of what you said except for the "easy to write" part of Capt America. Getting all of what you said into a story with enough action to keep a modern audience interested is very hard. Just look at the DC movies. But the Cap movies are consistently the best of the best not just in the MCU but in movies in general.

I am actually really excited to see how Clint Barton fairs in Endgame. I loved what they did with him in Ultron and want more.

16 hours ago, Yarbicus said:

I agree with most of what you said except for the "easy to write" part of Capt America. Getting all of what you said into a story with enough action to keep a modern audience interested is very hard. Just look at the DC movies. But the Cap movies are consistently the best of the best not just in the MCU but in movies in general.

I am actually really excited to see how Clint Barton fairs in Endgame. I loved what they did with him in Ultron and want more.

Easy to write was the wrong way to say it. I just mean there's a lot to work with there. Superman doesn't have nearly the same level of built in narrative devices. Using him for Cold War allegories is about the only ready-made narrative he's got, and that's a little dated at this point.

Us. 

Really, really well done.

I'm not a horror movie guy, not in general. This one, as with Get Out, manages to find the right balance of enough tension but without being an exhausting slog, and violence without being an indulgent gorefest that makes it accessible to people who don't want to watch horror for the sake of watching horror. 

Duality. Watch it with duality in mind. Damn near everything in it, dialogue, images, or themes serve a dual purpose. Even the title itself. This is what makes it better than Get Out, IMO. The social commentary of Get Out is fairly obvious. While it's clear that there's a social commentary in Us, what that message is requires a little bit more investment from the viewer.

I need to watch it again, and hopefully soon. It's lousy with easter eggs and hints and I can't help but feel there's so much more to pick out in a second viewing.

I am Legend (Netflix)

3/5

I tend to like Will Smith in films, this was no exception. Good film. Very predictable and no re-watch-ability, but otherwise top notch. Not a great film, and doesn't hold up to scrutiny, but a relaxing ride for the length of the film if you just don't think too hard about it.

On the other hand, a sequel could actually make for a really excellent sci-fi...

7 hours ago, paxmiles said:

I am Legend (Netflix)

3/5

I tend to like Will Smith in films, this was no exception. Good film. Very predictable and no re-watch-ability, but otherwise top notch. Not a great film, and doesn't hold up to scrutiny, but a relaxing ride for the length of the film if you just don't think too hard about it.

On the other hand, a sequel could actually make for a really excellent sci-fi...

I like this one more than I ought to and have watched it many times. Not a huge fan of the synchronicity of the ending, but everything up til then is solid. 

You may say it has no rewatch value but the fight and aftermath of Sam vs the vampire doggies never fails to tug on the strings of my withered, black heart.

On 4/6/2019 at 2:06 AM, Munkie said:

I like this one more than I ought to and have watched it many times. Not a huge fan of the synchronicity of the ending, but everything up til then is solid. 

You may say it has no rewatch value but the fight and aftermath of Sam vs the vampire doggies never fails to tug on the strings of my withered, black heart.

The reason the ending is not consistent is because it is not the ending.  _I Am Legend_ is a really old book and it has nothing to do with what was on screen.  Essentially this is as bad a rendition as his "I, Robot" film.  Read the book for a much better treatment of the idea with a totally different spin on what is going on.

49 minutes ago, Duckman said:

The reason the ending is not consistent is because it is not the ending.  _I Am Legend_ is a really old book and it has nothing to do with what was on screen.  Essentially this is as bad a rendition as his "I, Robot" film.  Read the book for a much better treatment of the idea with a totally different spin on what is going on.

I've heard that, and absolutely understand that perspective. My counter-argument is and always will be that the story doesn't need to be told the same way twice. In fact, story began as a strictly spoken concept. The same story couldn't be told the same way twice. The teller's personality is understood to always affect the story.

As long as the teller is relatively true to who the character is, I'm fine with deviation. 

All that said, I've never read the book. Maybe it was a money-grubbing hatchet job defiling the book. I wouldn't know. I do know that I watched a movie I liked though, so mission accomplished. The ending was clumsy, but many (most?) are.

11 hours ago, Munkie said:

I've heard that, and absolutely understand that perspective. My counter-argument is and always will be that the story doesn't need to be told the same way twice. In fact, story began as a strictly spoken concept. The same story couldn't be told the same way twice. The teller's personality is understood to always affect the story.

As long as the teller is relatively true to who the character is, I'm fine with deviation. 

All that said, I've never read the book. Maybe it was a money-grubbing hatchet job defiling the book. I wouldn't know. I do know that I watched a movie I liked though, so mission accomplished. The ending was clumsy, but many (most?) are.

I understand and I don't have a problem with a movie maker deviating from the book.  The problem with this one in particular is that not only did it deviate from the book but Lawrence has confirmed that it had a different ending more reminiscent of the book and then they changed it and tacked on what you got (reference I saw did not explain why it was changed, whether Will wanted something less critical of the character or test audiences didn't like it).

The book itself is not terribly apropos for a modern film.  It was made into films twice before the 2007 version.  In '64 Vincent Price was "The Last Man on Earth" and in '71 Charlton Heston was "The Omega Man".  The most faithful of these was the Vincent Price version.  The Omega Man had a different message in mind and so it, also, had a modified ending.

In short, the main reason the ending didn't jive is because Lawrence changed it late in production.

Shazam! - 8/10 - this one ranks up there with the MCU movies. The casting was great, every actor/actress fit the bill perfectly. I'd say the only one that might have been deemed a bit out of the place was the wizard (but that is purely based on my own tastes). The comedy was there, the action was there, as well as the heart warming and down moments. Best of all, it is well set up for a sequel. If you like super hero movies at all, then go see this one, I doubt you'll be disappointed. To note, I am not a DC guy at all. So if there are story elements from a Shazam history perspective that are off or wrong, I have no knowledge of that. Depending on how much of a purist you are, there might be things you don't like. All in all I thought it was a great film. My wife loved it as well and Jade stayed awake through the whole movie. It gets a Razzano family thumbs up!

Shin Godzilla

Very much a Toho Godzilla flick. I posted a pic of one of godzilla's evolutions (like Pokemon!) in random photo thread.

It was a good Toho movie. I watched it dubbed, which was decently lip synced, but makes me wonder what was dropped from story/context. 

The eyes are my only real complaint. At one point I was not convinced they weren't googly eyes.

1 hour ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Shin Godzilla

Very much a Toho Godzilla flick. I posted a pic of one of godzilla's evolutions (like Pokemon!) in random photo thread.

It was a good Toho movie. I watched it dubbed, which was decently lip synced, but makes me wonder what was dropped from story/context. 

The eyes are my only real complaint. At one point I was not convinced they weren't googly eyes.

Thank you very much. That was excellent. Watched it subbed.

5/5.

Mary Poppins Returns - 2/10 No thanks. Went to appease the wife and wanted to die multiple times in viewing. By the end I was trying to keep my spirits up but knew I could only last 1 or 2 more songs. I was hoping the songs would end so I could get to the story parts, kinda opposite of what its intended to be. I have no plans to watch it again, even for the children. They can go to the other room and watch on a laptop with headphones...

3 hours ago, CaptainA said:

Mary Poppins Returns - 2/10 No thanks. Went to appease the wife and wanted to die multiple times in viewing. By the end I was trying to keep my spirits up but knew I could only last 1 or 2 more songs. I was hoping the songs would end so I could get to the story parts, kinda opposite of what its intended to be. I have no plans to watch it again, even for the children. They can go to the other room and watch on a laptop with headphones...

Did she like it, at least?

Hellboy (2019)

1/5

I mostly finished, but didn't actually get to the end. It's very bad. 

The main problem is the protagonist, who just doesn't fit in the film on any level. His cartoony costume is the only such character costume in the film. His dialogue is worthless. Protagonist is a Tsundere character. As the audience, the protagonist offers nothing to relate to or inspire. CGI is top notch where ever the protagonist isn't in the scene...same with antagonist costumes and acting, the cartoony protagonist just ruins the CGI and other special effects.

Without explaining the plot or giving spoilers, plot is basically every D&D/pathfinder pre-gen adventure poorly stiched together with nazis added. It has undead, wizards, witches, nazis, giants, military special forces, a demon, british secret societies, vampires, modern knights with electro lances, fairies, psychic mediums, luchadores, seers, a weretiger, and a dragon....which all would have made for a great campy TV series, but as single film they crammed too much in.

The Silence: I still haven't seen A Quiet Place or Bird Box, so I figured I'd watch this first so as to not be making comparisons with what are, by all accounts, better versions of the same thing. Didn't matter. This movie is just awful. I'd figured the cast was good enough to pull it through, since the three mains are all played by people I like, but even Stanley Tucci couldn't save this one from the terrible plot, script, and direction. The monsters aren't even cool enough to watch on that basis.

10 minutes ago, WestRider said:

The Silence: I still haven't seen A Quiet Place or Bird Box, so I figured I'd watch this first so as to not be making comparisons with what are, by all accounts, better versions of the same thing. Didn't matter. This movie is just awful. I'd figured the cast was good enough to pull it through, since the three mains are all played by people I like, but even Stanley Tucci couldn't save this one from the terrible plot, script, and direction. The monsters aren't even cool enough to watch on that basis.

It seemed like an incredibly easy crisis to resolve once the sheer idiocy of the creatures was revealed. Wood chippers, industrial meat grinders, etc, etc, etc. Are hard counters.