Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Dark Water: I remember seeing previews for this back in the day and wanting to watch it, but never got around to it until now. Not great, but not bad by any means, either. Connelly is great, as is the girl who plays her daughter, and everyone else is solid (even if most of them are playing unlikable and aggravating characters, they're doing it well). The atmosphere is also great, which is a big thing for me, and they managed to do some wonderful stuff with lighting, particularly making Connelly and her daughter look like their eyes are nearly black, but also gleaming.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Is it based on Pirates of Dark Water?

Not even remotely, altho a feature length Pirates of Dark Water film would be awesome. It's a remake, of a Japanese movie by some of the same people who were involved in the original Ringu. I forgot to mention, tho, that like a number of other movies I've seen, it felt less like horror and more like tragedy. I suspect that's what partly led to the poor reviews, since it really isn't a very good horror movie, tho it is a good movie overall.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Deepstar Six: Once I've been wanting to watch for even longer, since I saw the box in the video rental place as a kid. But I didn't get to watch horror flicks when I was a kid, and I'd never been able to find a copy until now. In a way, I'm kind of glad it took this long, since in the 90s, I would have expected the blockbuster that it was trying to be, but watching it now, I assumed it would be the kind of cheesy B-flick that it actually is. It's not great, overall, but they do manage to set up some nice tension at a few points. I don't feel like I wasted my time watching it, and I might even watch it again at some point, but I don't think I'd recommend it to others. Pretty much regardless of your taste, there are other deep sea thrillers from 1989 that will probably work better for you 😉

The Panteon Woods: Absolutely terrible. Beyond all the usual issues that can be a problem for Found Footage, they decided to go with a more realistic ending than most. I've said in the past that I wanted to see something like that, but in practice, it just turned out to be depressing.

Jennifer's Body: Damn, that was intense. I can see why this has been growing a cult following, now that more people are finding it without having all sorts of faulty expectations from the badly mishandled marketing campaign.

Batman and the Ninja Turtles

Bubblegum 7/10

General 3.5/10

Not family friendly, even though family is a core message. Beheadings, ninja stars through foreheads, etc. Not super bloody, but YMMV.

Turtles find themselves in Gotham ("sure looks a lot like new york, if not for all these amazing blimps!") tracking Shredder and his new partner as they raid tech.

Helluvalot better than I thought it was going to be. The 3.5 for regular viewing is cuz it has some weaknesses that I can't get past, and affect the overall film a lot. After all, it is a kids movie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow. Had to look it up to believe that Batman and the Ninja Turtles was a real film. Sure is, and thanks for sharing. Never would have guessed that combination was real. 

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - 6/10 - Pitt and Leo are great. There really is nothing in the movie that directly connects you to the Sharon Tate murder. Thus, unless you know that going in,  Margo's scenes make you go "why is this in here?" Even knowing, it honestly didn't add anything to the film. Instead, it put me in my head trying to figure out what the hell this scene was doing in the movie. Again though, Pitt and Leo's scenes were great. Very much enjoyed them. Ending was pure Tarantino. I have to admit I also found myself looking for modern structure or signs that would not have existed back in the 1960's. 

If you like his stuff, you'll probably like this. Saw it at the Hollywood on 35mm. Sound was really loud.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Batman Vs TMNT

1/5

I didn't even finish. I got about 3/4ths of way through, and when the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles taught Batman "the meaning of being a team player," I checked out. Not a film worth finishing.

Kraken: Tentacles of the Deep. Not actually completely terrible, but it is def on the lower end of the scale, even for SYFY Originals. Re-cast maybe two people, get some better production values, and do one more editing pass on the script, and the pretty good flick that's hidden in there would probably come out pretty nicely. It did still entertain, and I liked that they didn't have some sort of fakey diving mask radios (looking at you, 47 Meters Down), and pretty much just water sounds while they're diving, tho I wouldn't have minded if they'd had more distinctive diving gear; it got kind of hard at times to keep track of which black wetsuit was who.

• Like 1

Bornless Ones: Very good straight-up cabin in the woods possession horror. I was expecting something cheesy and amateurish, but they really came through with the goods. Doesn't bring anything new to the genre, doesn't even try. It's more of the same, done very, very well. The promotional materials name-checked Evil Dead, and the influence is very clear, but it doesn't, at any point, start edging into horror-comedy like Evil Dead does. Every time I've complained about filmmakers trying to hard for originality and letting too much else slide, this is exactly what I would hold up as the alternative. It's Artless Craft, but for something like this, I'll take that over Craftless Art any night.

• Thanks 1

Batman Hush 

DC Animated - 4.5/5

Overall 3.5/5

New villian in town is manipulating the rest, in attempts to kill Bruce. 

I would put it in the category of Flashpoint. Def will watch again. I feel it is right at home with the noir animated batman I grew up with.  Some things felt lazy, but having not read the source material, I don't know where the blaim falls. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Batman Hush 

DC Animated - 4.5/5

Overall 3.5/5

New villian in town is manipulating the rest, in attempts to kill Bruce. 

I would put it in the category of Flashpoint. Def will watch again. I feel it is right at home with the noir animated batman I grew up with.  Some things felt lazy, but having not read the source material, I don't know where the blaim falls. 

Saw it too. Very much agree with your assessment.

8 hours ago, WestRider said:

You should check out the first one. It's a pretty fun flick.

Also, your description there sounds more like something I'd give to a 6/10. 8/10 seems like it should be better than "uh ok..."

Agreed but I wasn't sick of it to put only a 6.. but I agree with your evaluation of my rating...

• Like 1