paxmiles

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Stuber - 7/10 - got to see a preview showing last night. Went with my 18yr old daughter. We both enjoyed it. Lots of physical comedy in there. Rated R I think for language and violence. We already know that Bautista has the comedy chops from GotG, and this movie just rolls with that. Kind of falls in the "Lethal Weapon" genre with more laughs, so plot holes and realism issues a-plenty, but clearly not meant to be taken seriously. Lots of LOL moments though which really made this movie good. 

8 hours ago, paxmiles said:

You really think Disney is *trying* to kill X-Men?

I said tried, not trying, they now own the rights, again, and they have been playing major damage control rebuilding. 

https://amp.businessinsider.com/its-astonishing-how-far-disney-is-going-to-bury-the-x-men-2015-4

Into the Spider-verse: EXCELSIOR! Kinda glad I didn't see it in the theatre; I think it would have been too overwhelming for me. On Netflix, it was perfect, tho. Great music, genius visual design, and I liked that there was almost no focus on school stuff, which is always my least favourite part of Spider-man flicks. Kingpin worked way better than I expected from seeing stills of his character design. They got the movement just right to turn all that bulk into menace, and Liev Schreiber's voice work brought it all home. Nicolas Cage as Spider-man Noir was a truly inspired casting decision. All the voice acting was great, actually. I would totally watch a spin-off Spider-Ham series with John Mulaney.

8 hours ago, WestRider said:

Into the Spider-verse: EXCELSIOR! Kinda glad I didn't see it in the theatre; I think it would have been too overwhelming for me. On Netflix, it was perfect, tho. Great music, genius visual design, and I liked that there was almost no focus on school stuff, which is always my least favourite part of Spider-man flicks. Kingpin worked way better than I expected from seeing stills of his character design. They got the movement just right to turn all that bulk into menace, and Liev Schreiber's voice work brought it all home. Nicolas Cage as Spider-man Noir was a truly inspired casting decision. All the voice acting was great, actually. I would totally watch a spin-off Spider-Ham series with John Mulaney.

So much this! Peter B Parker has great epiphany moments almost in the background so great!

6 dimensional spider men out of 1

Spiderman - Far from Home

Loved it!  Such a fun movie, and the mid credits scene was a complete surprise to me!

Even though Mysterio is an obvious villain and the story line is pretty easy to figure out, this is a great fun movie. And JK Simmons back as J Jonah, hell yeah!

12 minutes ago, andozane said:

Spiderman - Far from Home

Loved it!  Such a fun movie, and the mid credits scene was a complete surprise to me!

Hide contents

Even though Mysterio is an obvious villain and the story line is pretty easy to figure out, this is a great fun movie. And JK Simmons back as J Jonah, hell yeah!

I'm glad to hear they brought him back, he is a fun actor.

Soul to Keep: Pretty damn good. I don't think I've ever seen a teen scream flick like this where only two out of eight characters were horribly unlikable. The rest were all somewhere between pretty decent and actually cool. Some really good camera work in parts, and nice restraint on the special effects. Made them more effective when they were used. The reason it doesn't go all the way to "great" is that it leans too heavily on a lot of fairly standard horror tropes, which end up diluting what makes it unique. Take away a few of the pointless jump scares, and the "twist" ending I've seen dozens of times, and a few other things like that, and it would be an amazing flick. Also, props for casting an actually deaf actress as the deaf character, which makes her work much better than in, say, The Silence. I also really want to see one of the other actresses, Kate Rose Reynolds, play a vampire in something. I think she could do an amazing take on the mix of jaded indifference and casual sadism that I've always felt worked as a good hallmark of really old vampires.

Toy Story 4:

Overall, I liked it.

Unfortunately, I have been watching China, IL (it's a TV series I like), which has an episode which likens toy story to being about slavery - so I had that in my mind while watching the film, which did kinda ruined it. Should have probably watched the episode and the film further apart, but it really wasn't planned.

Regarding Toy Story 4, There's sort of a dip towards the middle where they don't have very frequent jokes, or sillyness, or action, just slow plot development. I got the feeling that some of the children in the audience also came to this conclusion. My suspicion is that the film was designed with both an adult and a child target audience, hence why they spent time developing a more meaningful plot into a kids film. I think their execution of the plot may have been a bit too complex for children, so they kinda failed on that point.

Additionally, I may have missed Toy Story 3. Not really sure, but good excuse to re-watch the series again, anyway.

Detective Pukachu - 7 / 10 gym badges acquired 

Seen this twice, now, first time in 3D opening night. Great bubblegum flick. Aspects of the story are what you'd expect. Lots of nods to long time fans. Good use of pokemon. Thought they'd jumped the shark at the beginning, but the pay off was good. 

Dark Water: I remember seeing previews for this back in the day and wanting to watch it, but never got around to it until now. Not great, but not bad by any means, either. Connelly is great, as is the girl who plays her daughter, and everyone else is solid (even if most of them are playing unlikable and aggravating characters, they're doing it well). The atmosphere is also great, which is a big thing for me, and they managed to do some wonderful stuff with lighting, particularly making Connelly and her daughter look like their eyes are nearly black, but also gleaming.

2 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Is it based on Pirates of Dark Water?

Not even remotely, altho a feature length Pirates of Dark Water film would be awesome. It's a remake, of a Japanese movie by some of the same people who were involved in the original Ringu. I forgot to mention, tho, that like a number of other movies I've seen, it felt less like horror and more like tragedy. I suspect that's what partly led to the poor reviews, since it really isn't a very good horror movie, tho it is a good movie overall.

Deepstar Six: Once I've been wanting to watch for even longer, since I saw the box in the video rental place as a kid. But I didn't get to watch horror flicks when I was a kid, and I'd never been able to find a copy until now. In a way, I'm kind of glad it took this long, since in the 90s, I would have expected the blockbuster that it was trying to be, but watching it now, I assumed it would be the kind of cheesy B-flick that it actually is. It's not great, overall, but they do manage to set up some nice tension at a few points. I don't feel like I wasted my time watching it, and I might even watch it again at some point, but I don't think I'd recommend it to others. Pretty much regardless of your taste, there are other deep sea thrillers from 1989 that will probably work better for you 😉

The Panteon Woods: Absolutely terrible. Beyond all the usual issues that can be a problem for Found Footage, they decided to go with a more realistic ending than most. I've said in the past that I wanted to see something like that, but in practice, it just turned out to be depressing.

Jennifer's Body: Damn, that was intense. I can see why this has been growing a cult following, now that more people are finding it without having all sorts of faulty expectations from the badly mishandled marketing campaign.

Batman and the Ninja Turtles

Bubblegum 7/10

General 3.5/10

Not family friendly, even though family is a core message. Beheadings, ninja stars through foreheads, etc. Not super bloody, but YMMV.

Turtles find themselves in Gotham ("sure looks a lot like new york, if not for all these amazing blimps!") tracking Shredder and his new partner as they raid tech.

Helluvalot better than I thought it was going to be. The 3.5 for regular viewing is cuz it has some weaknesses that I can't get past, and affect the overall film a lot. After all, it is a kids movie