Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Bad Batch.

Pretty extreme. Well done but not for the squeamish. The film features cannibalism so be warned. 

If you can get past the gruesome subject matter this is a pretty brilliant study in no budget film making. The story is sparse and understated. The hook is the locations and the extras and the atmosphere. I had to watch it twice because I was in disbelief at how a common trick got turned on its head. It's a must see for anyone interested in the subject of practical effects. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Brick Bungalow said:

Bad Batch.

Pretty extreme. Well done but not for the squeamish. The film features cannibalism so be warned. 

If you can get past the gruesome subject matter this is a pretty brilliant study in no budget film making. The story is sparse and understated. The hook is the locations and the extras and the atmosphere. I had to watch it twice because I was in disbelief at how a common trick got turned on its head. It's a must see for anyone interested in the subject of practical effects. 

Yeah, that was a really good one. Some very cool stuff in there.

1st Summoning: Down there with Panteon Woods. In fact, the two actually share a particular, critical flaw. How the hell was this footage found? In both cases, the camera(s) were recovered by people with a very strong vested interest in not being found out. I can understand how a werewolf or a demon or something would just leave cameras lying around, but that's not the case here at all.

Ready Player One

4/5

Hadn't seen it. Somehow missed it's release. Was at GG and they were playing it. I liked the little slices I saw enough to write the name on my hand so I'd remember when I got home. Watched it this morning. Quite good.

I didn't really like the end, though. The whole legal ownership of the company bit struck me as rather out of place, and wasn't the ending I was looking for. Disappointing there, and the only bit that stops it from being 5/5 for me.

I'm told the book is much better. Might give that a try.

Fast and Furious: Calvin and Hobbs - 6.5/10 - a good solid popcorn flick. The series has clearly gone for the pure action hero fiction in this one. It is a long ways away from the original film. Still, its got great action scenes, just pure coolness, and of course, the Rock. My wife got a nice early Christmas present with several scenes of a shirtless DJ. A fun, over the top movie that is meant to be enjoyed, and not examined too closely.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Clash of the Titans (2010)  4/10

So. Many. Faces. So. Many.  A scene won't happen that you won't recognize someone from something.  You have the guy who saved the jews.  You have the priest that killed Romeo and Juliet.  You have Jake Sulley.  You have Hank McCoy.  You have Sir Davos and the Hound.  You have He who shalln't be named.  You have that dip wad, Tom, who dropped the expensive Shotguns in the river.  So. Many. Faces.

I think this makes for a better drinking game, than a viewing experience.  Due to them postponing the film to make it "3D-friendly," you can see how over the top it is.  I can't say it's better than the original.  Visually, sure, it is bubblegum, but I don't know that I'd put it on for bubblegum.  The two times I've seen it, I don't feel like it was time I want back, but it wasn't time well spent, either.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Justice League (2017)

2/5

Can't recall if I've seen it before. Might have already rated it...

Remarkably bad. Was doing a long rant, but decided it was too ramble-y . It's so bad it's kinda impressive how terrible the film is.

I will say that it is so bad, it makes me wonder if they had some side agenda that was the point of the film. Clearly a ton of effort went into making this absolutely terrible film.

4 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Justice League (2017)

2/5

Can't recall if I've seen it before. Might have already rated it...

Remarkably bad. Was doing a long rant, but decided it was too ramble-y . It's so bad it's kinda impressive how terrible the film is.

I will say that it is so bad, it makes me wonder if they had some side agenda that was the point of the film. Clearly a ton of effort went into making this absolutely terrible film.

Sounds like you have beef with creative expression in movie making.

Bazinga!

2 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

It was not a great movie and definitely not up to Marvel standards, but I don't think it was terrible. The above post was really just yanking your chain a bit. Hence the "Bazinga!" comment. But if you aren't a fan of Big Bang, then perhaps its meaning was lost. Basically I was just kidding with you.

I got that, but it would be a better job "yanking my chain" if you actually thought Justice League was a good example of creative expression.

If you really liked it, I was prepared to concede this one. Maybe I do lack creative expression understanding here. 

I know, you were referencing what I said in that other thread, but I find it's better for me to take it seriously in the off-chance that it's how you really feel. I'm rather bad at reading people, if you haven't noticed....

The Whitlow House: Notable mostly for its brevity. That's not actually an insult, it's a genuine compliment. The movie itself is, yeah, on the amateur side of "indie", but I appreciate that they recognized that they had an hour worth of material, and let the movie stick to that hour, instead of arbitrarily trying to hit 90 or 120 minutes because that's "feature length", and ending up with a bunch of pointless filler bogging it down. There are plenty of other directors who could stand to study this one, just as a case study on time management and pacing.

• Like 1

Aquaman - 7/10?

It's all CGI and they make Black Manta almost a throw-away character but this is probably the second best DC film I have seen in a decade (to be fair, I was really impressed with what they managed to do with Wonder Woman but have not been as impressed with the character since for reasons that will become apparent).  You know why?  They finally got over being dark and angsty.  This part was probably written with The Rock in mind and that's a *great* thing.  He was comical, he was vibrant and damn near four-color even when they tried ti be serious and brooding a couple of times.

They can have Batman be dark and angsty but they need their four-color to play off of and this could be it if they can take this and learn from it and improve on it for the rest of their franchise.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Duckman said:

Aquaman - 7/10?

It's all CGI and they make Black Manta almost a throw-away character but this is probably the second best DC film I have seen in a decade (to be fair, I was really impressed with what they managed to do with Wonder Woman but have not been as impressed with the character since for reasons that will become apparent).  You know why?  They finally got over being dark and angsty.  This part was probably written with The Rock in mind and that's a *great* thing.  He was comical, he was vibrant and damn near four-color even when they tried ti be serious and brooding a couple of times.

The Rock is slated to play Green Lantern.  Aquaman was played by that crappy alien from Star Gate Atlantis.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

The Rock is slated to play Green Lantern.  Aquaman was played by that crappy alien from Star Gate Atlantis.

Yeah, I know.  But if you just look at the role from start to finish this is something that The Rock has played before.  Maori warrior, some moments of lunkheadedness, generally happy, go-lucky guy.  I would doubt this script was very far along when Momoa was cast in Justice League but it still looks like someone was channeling The Rock when he wrote this script.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Haunted World of El Superbeasto

3/5, maybe 4/5

Really, really strange film. American cartoon, but not for kids at all. Came out in 2009, I totally missed when it came out, only found out about it recently. Just all around strange film. It's supposed to be an adult comedy. By adult, they mean perverted, and by comedy, it's not overly funny - some of the jokes land, but not all of them are really that funny. Mainly, it's just a strange film.

Mission Impossible Rogue Nation

3/5

Nothing wrong with this film, but spy films is kinda a tired genre. The filming is fine, the action is impressive, actors can act, plus it has a plot you can follow. It's just not the kind of film where they do anything new or memorable. This film doesn't add anything, but it also doesn't subtract anything. If you want a daily rotation of spy/action films, add this to the list of reruns you watch - it will fit in just fine.

Mission Impossible Fallout

3/5

Same as the other.