Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Nightmare on Elm Street (2010): All the elements are there, but somehow it just completely falls flat. For all the menace he should have, Krueger here is just some A-hole with a bunch of crappy one-liners and an annoying laugh. Rooney Mara and a number of members of the supporting cast turn in solid performances, but not enough to give it the life it's missing. Or to overcome the fact that a bunch of them are in their mid-20s and playing high school students.

• Like 1

Jay and Silent Bob: Reboot

It’s a massive love letter to Kevin Smith’s fans. 90% of the film is callbacks, references, in-jokes, and repeated gags from the rest of Smith’s films, comics, tv shows, and pod casts. The remaining 10% is some surprisingly emotional acting from Jason Mewes as he wrestles with his conflicted feelings about fatherhood.

If you are already a Kevin Smith fan, you’ll love it. If you aren’t already a Kevin Smith fan, go watch Clerks instead.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Munkie said:

FIFY. Whirling dervish Yoda was an abominable piece of hacky CG gaggery. It is unfortunate that he was the opposite for that stupid scene.

But otherwise, good.

That’s true for the scene overall, but Christopher Lee’s half of the fight is great. He had some mobility issues during filming (he was 79 years old at the time of filing AotC) which limited his ability to perform much footwork, so any shots where you can see his legs and he’s doing it rapid movement, it’s probably his stunt double. But Lee actually worked closely with the fight choreographer and his stunt double to make sure that Dooku fought the way Lee would have.

One of the greatest failings of the prequel trilogy, IMHO, was that the severely under-used Christopher Lee. If I was directing them, TPM would have still been mostly the same but I’d have had Darth Maul taking orders from Darth Tyranus. AtoC would play out mostly the same, only with a surprise reveal at the end that Darth Tyranus was himself the apprentice to Darth Sidious... RotS wouldn’t have had Grevous in it at all, with Dooku replacing him for most of the story. Then when Anakin fell to the Dark Side, he’d kill Tyranus late in the second act as part of his becoming Darth Vader. (Oh yeah, I’d also have named his character damn near anything other than “Dooku.”)

Christopher Lee was a world champion fencer, did most of his own stunts and participated in more on-screen sword fights than any actor in history... and his was in his thirties and forties for the bulk of them. Lee was FIFTY-ONE when he made The Three Musketeers... Which I mention purely as an excuse to share this clip:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ish said:

That’s true for the scene overall, but Christopher Lee’s half of the fight is great. He had some mobility issues during filming (he was 79 years old at the time of filing AotC) which limited his ability to perform much footwork, so any shots where you can see his legs and he’s doing it rapid movement, it’s probably his stunt double. But Lee actually worked closely with the fight choreographer and his stunt double to make sure that Dooku fought the way Lee would have.

One of the greatest failings of the prequel trilogy, IMHO, was that the severely under-used Christopher Lee. If I was directing them, TPM would have still been mostly the same but I’d have had Darth Maul taking orders from Darth Tyranus. AtoC would play out mostly the same, only with a surprise reveal at the end that Darth Tyranus was himself the apprentice to Darth Sidious... RotS wouldn’t have had Grevous in it at all, with Dooku replacing him for most of the story. Then when Anakin fell to the Dark Side, he’d kill Tyranus late in the second act as part of his becoming Darth Vader. (Oh yeah, I’d also have named his character damn near anything other than “Dooku.”)

Christopher Lee was a world champion fencer, did most of his own stunts and participated in more on-screen sword fights than any actor in history... and his was in his thirties and forties for the bulk of them. Lee was FIFTY-ONE when he made The Three Musketeers... Which I mention purely as an excuse to share this clip:

The prequel trilogy actually has a perfectly solid story, it's just the execution that ruined it. Totally could have been fixed with some dialogue re-writes and re-casting a couple of people.

Lee got one of his earlier film roles basically just on the strength of his skill with a sword and his fluency in Spanish. He also holds the record for oldest person to perform on a heavy metal album and the oldest living person to make the Billboard Hot 100.

He was basically a Chuck Norris meme, except it's all actually true.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ish said:

If Christopher Lee was a fictional character, no one would ever take the story seriously. He’d be the biggest Mary Sue in all of literature... 

And yet...

I can think of a few other people who would be unbelievable as fictional characters, but I'm pretty sure Lee is top of the list.😄

Speaking of Lee, my latest movie watched was The Satanic Rites of Dracula. Even tho this was the end of Lee's time playing Dracula, and he'd burned out on the series about 4 movies earlier, it holds up pretty well. It definitely helps that most of his screen time is shared with Cushing, but the script and direction also seemed better than the previous couple of Hammer Dracula films.

• Like 1

Lee is clearly phoning it in in several of his later Dracula pictures (there were seven of them made over 15 years, Marvel Studios ain’t got nothing on Hammer). In his own autobiography, he admits that he hated the scripts and disliked the way the directors were making the movies... But, damn Lee is fun as hell to watch in them.

In an odd way, I’m actually reminded of Lee whenever I watch something with Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson. The Rock has been in several truly goddamn awful movies and a handful of good ones... He’s also been the star of several movies that should have been bad, but solely because of the presence of the Rock, they became good. I just can’t help it, if the Rock is on screen, I will enjoy what I’m looking at. I just cannot not like the guy.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ish said:

Lee is clearly phoning it in in several of his later Dracula pictures (there were seven of them made over 15 years, Marvel Studios ain’t got nothing on Hammer). In his own autobiography, he admits that he hated the scripts and disliked the way the directors were making the movies... But, damn Lee is fun as hell to watch in them.

In an odd way, I’m actually reminded of Lee whenever I watch something with Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson. The Rock has been in several truly goddamn awful movies and a handful of good ones... He’s also been the star of several movies that should have been bad, but solely because of the presence of the Rock, they became good. I just can’t help it, if the Rock is on screen, I will enjoy what I’m looking at. I just cannot not like the guy.

Yeah, this was the last of the Hammer Dracula movies that I hadn't seen. It's def not on par with the first couple, but much better than the couple in the middle where he ignored the script and just hissed, and blows the preceding Dracula A.D. 1972 out of the water.

Kurt Russell is another actor I feel like that about. I've seen some absolutely terrible flicks that were still quite enjoyable, solely for his scenes.

This evening's entertainment was Tremors 4: The Legend Begins. In some ways one of the weaker entries in the series, with some SyFy Original level acting from a few of the minor characters, it's still a whole lot of fun, and the way that it plays around with the range of character types from the previous movie is very well done.

• Like 1

The Forest: It's a good thing I was mostly watching this for Natalie Dormer, because she's pretty much the only thing it's got going for it. The script is weak, the co-star gives the impression he's reading his lines, a lot of the bits with Japanese characters or cultural elements feel a bit off for some reason I can't quite pinpoint, and it doesn't manage more than a few mild jump scares and a couple moments of creepy aesthetic.

The Car: Road to Revenge: Knight Rider plus Robocop plus Christine plus, what the heck, a dash each of Mad Max and Blade Runner equals...something not nearly as good as that equation implies. There's some cool visual spectacle at a few points, with the cybered-up bad guys and such, and Nina Bergman is hot, but that's about it.

• Like 1

Just got home from Birds of Prey.

I liked it quite a bit. Everything a DC movie should be. Dark and goofy. 

Definitely over the top, but not in as much of a slapstick way as I expected, and it called itself out a couple times, seconds after I had a "hey, wait a minute..." moment. 

I really liked the style of it. It felt more like a comic book than almost any adaptation I've seen recently. The story jumped around a bit and felt compiled out of smaller stories, as opposed to a clearer 1st, 2and, 3rd act traditional movie script (not that it couldn't still be broken down this way). The use of narration, the coloring and framing of shots, and the physics all felt comic booky.

Margot Robbie was great, Ewan McGregor was great.

I wasn't a huge fan of their version of Huntress, but that's my girlfriend's favorite character and she was satisfied, so that's good enough for me.

Definitely a fun flick, worth checking out, but not necessarily a must-see in theaters. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Munkie said:

Just got home from Birds of Prey.

I liked it quite a bit. Everything a DC movie should be. Dark and goofy. 

Definitely over the top, but not in as much of a slapstick way as I expected, and it called itself out a couple times, seconds after I had a "hey, wait a minute..." moment. 

I really liked the style of it. It felt more like a comic book than almost any adaptation I've seen recently. The story jumped around a bit and felt compiled out of smaller stories, as opposed to a clearer 1st, 2and, 3rd act traditional movie script (not that it couldn't still be broken down this way). The use of narration, the coloring and framing of shots, and the physics all felt comic booky.

Margot Robbie was great, Ewan McGregor was great.

I wasn't a huge fan of their version of Huntress, but that's my girlfriend's favorite character and she was satisfied, so that's good enough for me.

Definitely a fun flick, worth checking out, but not necessarily a must-see in theaters. 

Nice! I had heard mixed things about it, but all in really vague terms. The way you describe it, I think I'm going to like it. Thanks!

• Like 1