Rate the Last Movie You Saw

15 hours ago, Ish said:

If Christopher Lee was a fictional character, no one would ever take the story seriously. He’d be the biggest Mary Sue in all of literature... 

And yet...

I can think of a few other people who would be unbelievable as fictional characters, but I'm pretty sure Lee is top of the list.😄

Speaking of Lee, my latest movie watched was The Satanic Rites of Dracula. Even tho this was the end of Lee's time playing Dracula, and he'd burned out on the series about 4 movies earlier, it holds up pretty well. It definitely helps that most of his screen time is shared with Cushing, but the script and direction also seemed better than the previous couple of Hammer Dracula films.

Lee is clearly phoning it in in several of his later Dracula pictures (there were seven of them made over 15 years, Marvel Studios ain’t got nothing on Hammer). In his own autobiography, he admits that he hated the scripts and disliked the way the directors were making the movies... But, damn Lee is fun as hell to watch in them.

In an odd way, I’m actually reminded of Lee whenever I watch something with Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson. The Rock has been in several truly goddamn awful movies and a handful of good ones... He’s also been the star of several movies that should have been bad, but solely because of the presence of the Rock, they became good. I just can’t help it, if the Rock is on screen, I will enjoy what I’m looking at. I just cannot not like the guy.

8 hours ago, Ish said:

Lee is clearly phoning it in in several of his later Dracula pictures (there were seven of them made over 15 years, Marvel Studios ain’t got nothing on Hammer). In his own autobiography, he admits that he hated the scripts and disliked the way the directors were making the movies... But, damn Lee is fun as hell to watch in them.

In an odd way, I’m actually reminded of Lee whenever I watch something with Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson. The Rock has been in several truly goddamn awful movies and a handful of good ones... He’s also been the star of several movies that should have been bad, but solely because of the presence of the Rock, they became good. I just can’t help it, if the Rock is on screen, I will enjoy what I’m looking at. I just cannot not like the guy.

Yeah, this was the last of the Hammer Dracula movies that I hadn't seen. It's def not on par with the first couple, but much better than the couple in the middle where he ignored the script and just hissed, and blows the preceding Dracula A.D. 1972 out of the water.

Kurt Russell is another actor I feel like that about. I've seen some absolutely terrible flicks that were still quite enjoyable, solely for his scenes.

This evening's entertainment was Tremors 4: The Legend Begins. In some ways one of the weaker entries in the series, with some SyFy Original level acting from a few of the minor characters, it's still a whole lot of fun, and the way that it plays around with the range of character types from the previous movie is very well done.

The Forest: It's a good thing I was mostly watching this for Natalie Dormer, because she's pretty much the only thing it's got going for it. The script is weak, the co-star gives the impression he's reading his lines, a lot of the bits with Japanese characters or cultural elements feel a bit off for some reason I can't quite pinpoint, and it doesn't manage more than a few mild jump scares and a couple moments of creepy aesthetic.

The Car: Road to Revenge: Knight Rider plus Robocop plus Christine plus, what the heck, a dash each of Mad Max and Blade Runner equals...something not nearly as good as that equation implies. There's some cool visual spectacle at a few points, with the cybered-up bad guys and such, and Nina Bergman is hot, but that's about it.

Just got home from Birds of Prey.

I liked it quite a bit. Everything a DC movie should be. Dark and goofy. 

Definitely over the top, but not in as much of a slapstick way as I expected, and it called itself out a couple times, seconds after I had a "hey, wait a minute..." moment. 

I really liked the style of it. It felt more like a comic book than almost any adaptation I've seen recently. The story jumped around a bit and felt compiled out of smaller stories, as opposed to a clearer 1st, 2and, 3rd act traditional movie script (not that it couldn't still be broken down this way). The use of narration, the coloring and framing of shots, and the physics all felt comic booky.

Margot Robbie was great, Ewan McGregor was great.

I wasn't a huge fan of their version of Huntress, but that's my girlfriend's favorite character and she was satisfied, so that's good enough for me.

Definitely a fun flick, worth checking out, but not necessarily a must-see in theaters. 

10 hours ago, Munkie said:

Just got home from Birds of Prey.

I liked it quite a bit. Everything a DC movie should be. Dark and goofy. 

Definitely over the top, but not in as much of a slapstick way as I expected, and it called itself out a couple times, seconds after I had a "hey, wait a minute..." moment. 

I really liked the style of it. It felt more like a comic book than almost any adaptation I've seen recently. The story jumped around a bit and felt compiled out of smaller stories, as opposed to a clearer 1st, 2and, 3rd act traditional movie script (not that it couldn't still be broken down this way). The use of narration, the coloring and framing of shots, and the physics all felt comic booky.

Margot Robbie was great, Ewan McGregor was great.

I wasn't a huge fan of their version of Huntress, but that's my girlfriend's favorite character and she was satisfied, so that's good enough for me.

Definitely a fun flick, worth checking out, but not necessarily a must-see in theaters. 

Nice! I had heard mixed things about it, but all in really vague terms. The way you describe it, I think I'm going to like it. Thanks!

Girl on the Third Floor: I was about to skip past this one, but then I noticed that the lead was played by CM Punk. Punk comes across more or less as the unholy love child of Bruce Campbell and Mitt Romney in this well-constructed haunted house flick. Think more AHS: Murder House than Amityville Horror. Some great, and seriously gross, practical effects really sell the impact. Also, a word of warning: the dog dies. I know that's something that some people have issues with, and honestly, I was kind of bummed by it myself. Still very worth the watch if it's your sort of thing, tho.