Rate the Last Movie You Saw

The Old Guard: Loved it. Great action, cool characters, cool concept. At this point, I'm down for basically anything where Charlize Theron gets to be a total badass.

The Haunting of Emily, aka Delirium: The best thing about this movie is that the actress who plays Emily is named Taylor Pigeon.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

BloodShot - 8/10 - Great turn your brain off and watch everyone get shot up. Lovely twist of an ending.

Robert the Bruce - 9/10 - my only real complaint was the DVD wasn't programmed with Subtitles and it got hard to understand at times.
     Fun fact, Angus Macfadyen played Robert the Bruce in both BraveHeart & this movie! Great to see him reprising his roll.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Romans832 said:

Fun fact, Angus Macfadyen played Robert the Bruce in both BraveHeart & this movie! Great to see him reprising his roll

And both movies are named after Robert I, King of Scots!

Amongst the many, many, many historical inaccuracies of Mel Gibson’s flick, the fact that it implies that “Beaveheart” was Wallace is actually one of the lesser sins. Still irritating though.

On his deathbed, Robert I asked his knights to take his heart on Crusade. In 1329, Sir James Douglas took his heart to Spain and whilst charging into battle against the Moors, he shouted “Lead on brave heart! I’ll follow thee!”

Thats some 40k [big bad swear word], right there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Brick Bungalow said:

Den of Thieves was a great heist movie. Totally implausible and ridiculous but in an entertaining way. You can tell the director had watched Heat and Bullit and Usual Suspects multiple times. 

It's like Heat, but with a bunch of yoked bros. They tried the "blur the line that separates cops and criminals" theme a little too hard to the point that I was genuinely disappointed at the end that Gerard Buttler didn't die. Just an absolutely reprehensible character from start to finish.

Also, that shoot-off at the gun range was such a weird scene. It makes you think there's foreshadowing there, but nope, the exact opposite. It sets it up like his incredible accuracy is going to come into play. In fact, he runs out of ammo after missing with every bullet in 3 or 4 pistol magazines. Their badass squad was pretty feeble once the flexing was over and shooting started.

Fun movie, but very, very stupid.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Devil's Gate: Rather more complex and better than I was expecting. Reminded me a little of some of the better parts of Dark Light. Great atmospherics and aesthetics, and some cool design on the demons/aliens/whatevers. Acting is hit or miss, with one of the most important roles being pretty weak. Also, wow, Jonathon Frakes has not aged too well.

• Like 1

Sinister: This is another in the category of "Not particularly original*, but undeniably effective". I think one of the things that really makes it work is that much of the movie consists of Ethan Hawke sitting in a dark room watching videos of horrible murders being committed, apparently by someone from a black metal band, while the situation gets creepier and creepier around him, and that's also essentially what someone watching the movie is generally doing, so it adds an extra bit of immersion.

*It's basically a crossover between the "arrogant dude who always says everything's fine" (e.g. Amityville Horror) and "creepy children" (e.g. The Ring) subgenres. Pet Sematary occupies a similar space, genre-wise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

TENET: Jeezy creezy this movie made my head hurt. Calling it convoluted would be oversimplifying it to the point of being offensive. I can't say much without spoiling details so I'll just say good luck following along on your first pass through. If you like Chris Nolan's previous works, this will be worth your time.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ROGRE said:

TENET: Jeezy creezy this movie made my head hurt. Calling it convoluted would be oversimplifying it to the point of being offensive. I can't say much without spoiling details so I'll just say good luck following along on your first pass through. If you like Chris Nolan's previous works, this will be worth your time.

Oooh... so not cut and dry predictable?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Shanghai Fortress - 8/10 - I don't know how it got on my "Watch Later" list

But it was really interesting for a Chinese movie...
Sometimes the subtitles were TOO fast

The "romance" of the movie was crazy, focus on one while getting slapped by the romance going on under your nose and you don't know it till.....

The reality mixed with VR was well done. I would suggest for those patient enough to watch

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

108190.jpg

I got to go to the movies! In a real theater! With over-priced popcorn and problems with the projector and everything! Wheee!

The New Mutants is a weird film; It's a surprisingly faithful adaptation of the Demon Bear story arc from early in the run of the comics of the same name, with just enough changes to cut the cast down to a more reasonable size for a 94-minute movie and to leave out any cameoes by actors from the other X-Men movies they couldn't afford. Due to the Disney buy-out of the X-Men film rights while this movie was still in production, it has to straddle this weird line where it wants to tie-in to the earlier X-Men films, wants to be it's own thing, and wants to leave open the possibility of a future retcon connection to the MCU. Oh, and it's also trying to do all this while being a horror movie slash coming of age story and not a typical superhero flick.  As to be expected, it ends with a set-up for a sequel... that will never, ever happen.

I enjoyed the movie immensely, but it's getting absolutely savaged by the critics. I'm guessing faithful-but-modernized updates of 37-year old comic book storylines isn't exactly a crowd pleaser. Go fig. 

3.5 outta 5 stars.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Romans832 said:

Super glad this one doesn't disappoint.

It will probably disappoint most people. I liked it a lot, but... Well... It's a weird movie that probably wouldn't have done well with general audiences even without the forces of Nurgle keeping everyone at home. 

If you're the sort of person who liked Ginger Snaps 2 (or indeed, are the sort of person who has ever even heard of the Ginger Snaps films) then you'll probably like it. But, well, that movie bombed at the box office too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Friend took her daughter, and they thought it was ripping off some game she plays. "Really disappointed by that."  Upon further questioning, they didn't realize it was 40 year old content, nor the production hell it went through.  After talking to them about that, they were far happier with the movie; the short comings and failures make sense with perspective.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Ish said:

If you're the sort of person who liked Ginger Snaps 2 (or indeed, are the sort of person who has ever even heard of the Ginger Snaps films) then you'll probably like it. But, well, that movie bombed at the box office too.

I've never seen Ginger Snaps 2, but I remember the first movie being absolutely awful. If you want a movie that compares werewolves to ovulation and offers nothing else, then that's the movie for you!

• Haha 1

Well, then you’re probably going to find The New Mutants and it’s blatant “learning to control your mutant power as a metaphor for coming of age” plot to be equally awful.

I, for one, thought that Ginger Snaps and its sequels were great (yes, even the third one) and I normally loathe horror movies.

So, yeah, you’ll probably not like The New Mutants.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...