Rate the Last Movie You Saw

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A friend of my wife rented out the Clinton Streeet theater and showed the film version of Star Wars today. The droids were dirty and oily. Luke and the Jawas were covered with sand and dust. Han shot

Different strokes, I guess.  Saw it in the theaters, loved it.  Almost as much as this guy loves Mozart.  

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Romans832 said:

Birds of Prey - 7/10 - I expected more. I felt like they half @$$'d it too obviously... I spent the time wishing for more

That's pretty much how I feel about every movie in the SnyderVerse.  It all looks pretty is so empty and unsatisfying.  Kinda like eating an entire bag of gummi bears in one sitting.

The only DC live action films in their half-hearted attempt at a cinematic universe that I’ve enjoyed were Wonder WomanAquaman, and Captain Marvel Shazam...

...and comparing them to their MCU competition, all three of them are solidly “middle of the pack” in quality. At best.

(And I say all this as a dyed in the wool DC Comics fanboy.)

• 4 weeks later...

The Darkness: It worked for what I wanted, which was just something mildly creepy to have on in the background. Can't recommend it beyond that, tho. The acting is very uneven, the characters are all incredibly one-dimensional (Cheating Dad, Alcoholic Mom, Bulimic Daughter, Autistic Son. None of them have any real personality traits beyond that), and it just generally doesn't hold together very well.

Scanners: Good stuff. It feels older than '81, tho. More like Scream and Scream Again or Invasion of the Body Snatchers than, say, The Final Conflict. I think it's mostly due to much of the costuming and acting being highly stylized, for example, Vale's clothing at the start of the movie is of a suitable type for a vagrant, but it's all far too clean and new. More symbolizing his station in life than depicting it. Dr. Ruth often comes across like he's performing on stage, the way he enunciates and gestures and directs his gaze. Not a bad thing by any means, but it is a style that tended to fade as time went by and tech got better and budgets got bigger and on-screen depictions could more often be more realistic.

Island Zero: Much better than it had any right to be. Don't get me wrong, it has plenty of flaws (mostly budget-related), but there's also some really good character development that made me actually care about these folks, and the director maintains and ramps up tension very well. It stumbles a bit when it tries to go into detail with the monsters, but when it just lets them be a poorly understood threat, it's fantastic. Most of the cast are apparently local amateurs, which means some of the performances are a bit shaky, but the folks other than the handful of main characters (who are all from various other places) all have proper Maine accents, and don't really need to stretch to get into character. Given the budget, some of the effects are fairly impressive as well, even if they are still noticeable as such. They still do their job. As a final note, the music is pretty cool. Rather than the Civil War documentary style soundtracks so many horror flicks seem to use these days, this one is synth-heavy, reminiscent of some of John Carpenter's stuff, like Prince of Darkness.

Also, a note I forgot about Scanners: Given that the main antagonist is named Revok, I felt like it was a serious missed opportunity that no action at any point in the film was referred to as "irrevocable" 😉

The Show Must Go On: The Queen + Adam Lambert Story documentary on Netflix. I flipped it on mostly to have as background noise while building miniatures, but I got sucked in.

I’ve been a classic rock / prog rock fan since I was in utero thanks to my dad having Pink Floyd, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Jethro Tull, and so for on the stereo 24/7 for my entire childhood.  But my personal favorite always was and always will be Queen. The band stopped touring when I was still in kindergarten and I never got to see them live... and Freddie Mercury passed away when I was ten (tragically/ironically, Wayne’s World would introduce them to the rest of my generation shortly afterward).

When Brian May and Roger Taylor started teaming up with guest artists, I was distinctly underwhelmed. So I pretty much avoided listening to anything they ever did with Adam Lambert... Oh man, was I wrong. Very wrong.

The Show Must Go On documentary takes great care to let May and Taylor explain why they choose to continue touring, how reluctant they were to replace Freddie, and just how impressed they were when they first met Lambert. It also let’s Lambert have ample time to explain that he knows he cannot (and isn’t trying) to be the new Freddie Mercury... But, honestly, he’s probably the next best thing (or rather the best next thing) because he although he doesn’t have Mercury’s voice, he’s definitely got Mercury’s soul. And his voice is equally phenomenal.

I’m still not crazy about Lambert’s solo stuff (too pop, too dance, not enough rock) but I’ve 180° reversed my opinion of his partnership with Queen.

• 1 month later...

BloodShot - 8/10 - Great turn your brain off and watch everyone get shot up. Lovely twist of an ending.

Robert the Bruce - 9/10 - my only real complaint was the DVD wasn't programmed with Subtitles and it got hard to understand at times.
     Fun fact, Angus Macfadyen played Robert the Bruce in both BraveHeart & this movie! Great to see him reprising his roll.

1 hour ago, Romans832 said:

Fun fact, Angus Macfadyen played Robert the Bruce in both BraveHeart & this movie! Great to see him reprising his roll

And both movies are named after Robert I, King of Scots!

Amongst the many, many, many historical inaccuracies of Mel Gibson’s flick, the fact that it implies that “Beaveheart” was Wallace is actually one of the lesser sins. Still irritating though.

On his deathbed, Robert I asked his knights to take his heart on Crusade. In 1329, Sir James Douglas took his heart to Spain and whilst charging into battle against the Moors, he shouted “Lead on brave heart! I’ll follow thee!”

Thats some 40k [big bad swear word], right there.

3 hours ago, Brick Bungalow said:

Den of Thieves was a great heist movie. Totally implausible and ridiculous but in an entertaining way. You can tell the director had watched Heat and Bullit and Usual Suspects multiple times. 

It's like Heat, but with a bunch of yoked bros. They tried the "blur the line that separates cops and criminals" theme a little too hard to the point that I was genuinely disappointed at the end that Gerard Buttler didn't die. Just an absolutely reprehensible character from start to finish.

Also, that shoot-off at the gun range was such a weird scene. It makes you think there's foreshadowing there, but nope, the exact opposite. It sets it up like his incredible accuracy is going to come into play. In fact, he runs out of ammo after missing with every bullet in 3 or 4 pistol magazines. Their badass squad was pretty feeble once the flexing was over and shooting started.

Fun movie, but very, very stupid.

• 2 weeks later...

Devil's Gate: Rather more complex and better than I was expecting. Reminded me a little of some of the better parts of Dark Light. Great atmospherics and aesthetics, and some cool design on the demons/aliens/whatevers. Acting is hit or miss, with one of the most important roles being pretty weak. Also, wow, Jonathon Frakes has not aged too well.

Sinister: This is another in the category of "Not particularly original*, but undeniably effective". I think one of the things that really makes it work is that much of the movie consists of Ethan Hawke sitting in a dark room watching videos of horrible murders being committed, apparently by someone from a black metal band, while the situation gets creepier and creepier around him, and that's also essentially what someone watching the movie is generally doing, so it adds an extra bit of immersion.

*It's basically a crossover between the "arrogant dude who always says everything's fine" (e.g. Amityville Horror) and "creepy children" (e.g. The Ring) subgenres. Pet Sematary occupies a similar space, genre-wise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

TENET: Jeezy creezy this movie made my head hurt. Calling it convoluted would be oversimplifying it to the point of being offensive. I can't say much without spoiling details so I'll just say good luck following along on your first pass through. If you like Chris Nolan's previous works, this will be worth your time.

10 minutes ago, ROGRE said:

TENET: Jeezy creezy this movie made my head hurt. Calling it convoluted would be oversimplifying it to the point of being offensive. I can't say much without spoiling details so I'll just say good luck following along on your first pass through. If you like Chris Nolan's previous works, this will be worth your time.

Oooh... so not cut and dry predictable?