Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Stepford Wives 2/5

Remake of the 70s flick based on book of the same name I guess?  It wasn't a horrible movie.  I wouldn't go outta my way to watch it again.  It's too bad they made it a feel good movie, the premise has a lot of potential otherwise.  

The Joneses 3.5/5

Mulder and Bruce Willis' Ex wife play sales people with a gay son and a slutty daughter.  I didn't know what it was going into it, but it was enjoyable.  A bit slow at times, but I'd watch it again.  

Unbroken - good movie 8/10

Ironically this time last year we were headed to my grandparent's place listening to the book on the CD. The book encapsulates all Louis' life. The movie encapsulates the war and the torture. I think much is to be said about expectations. I've heard many say they were disappointed because the end of his life was summarized and ignored the revelation Billy Graham's ministry had in his life: utterly life transforming. It was completely ignored... But what did the movie focus on: the war and torture. As long as we understand that, I think you're just fine. Great movie. For me, an one time watch.

Miami Connection : 4/10 : A cult favorite for some reason. Anyway Motorcycle Ninjas, Inept drug lords, and a Kung-Fu rock band as the heroes so I guess it has that going for it as well as the OMG 1987 fashions.

As far as The Hobbit part 3 goes, yeah, glad I waited a bit. It was fun and good to see on the big screen but I think he may have been better at making 2 movies even though it was interesting to see what Gandalf was up to while missing.

It's not their acting that loses it for me.  Franco is a consistent actor, and Rogan is the modern Sandler in my book.  That doesn't change that the only redeeming thing in the movie for me was the Scorpions - Wind of Change.  The movie and all this bull crap for the past few weeks is more like Paris Hilton leaking that sex tape just before that show she did with her BFF came out.  

Hot Shots! Part Duex was hands down a better movie.  

I have no desire to watch it again.  Like, I'd dip out instead of watching it at a friends.  That puts it below a 2 to me.  I would have rather spent that time we spent watching it sitting in silence listening to the dull commotion of the 19 year olds partying across the alley.  I would have preferred the sound of awkward silence.  Hard pressed to give it a 1, at that point.  :)

I didn't care for Pineapple Express, either.

• Like 1

Clue 3/5

It was enjoyable, especially considering when it was filmed.  The various endings were amusing and well done.  It would make for a great play, as is, much like RHPS.  I'd watch it again in a group setting while geeking out, but I doubt I'd put it on just to watch.  Maybe to watch with someone who hasn't seen it.

The Interview 0/5

Save yourself, watch Hot Shots! Part Deux instead.

Wow! Clue is a great movie in my opinion, solid 4/5. The timing is fantastic, each time I watch it different things make me laugh and the multiple ending thing blew my mind the first time I saw it. Granted I was about eight so I'm probably letting my nostalgia bump up my enjoyment a bit.

The Interview, just watchec it. Not bad, not great either though. 2.5/5 range. Nothing really new and the jokes are the standard fare, dick and fart variety but it wasn't bad. Very "paint by numbers" comedy.

• Like 1

Imitation Game: 8/10 - if you like history, then this a good one, granted they take some liberties with the true story, but close enough that is enjoyable.  Plus the acting is amazing.  Great work by Knightly and Cumberbatch.  I highly recommend if you want a dramatic movie that has some history base.

• Like 2

Hobbit 3, the Battle of Five Armies, AKA How to stretch a short book into 3 movies culmination....

ARGH...well, i will say this.  Watching this film made me realize just HOW BAD Desolation of Smaug was.  The battle is intense, and the movie is fast paced...in some places too fast paced actually.  And the whole Durin story is poorly done IMO...I don't know, it just didn't convey well.  It felt "forced".

Either way, the action is pretty good.  Please release a fan edit of this film.  Please release a fan edit that cuts out Legolas, Dwarf Elf Romance, Gandalf vs the Necromancer, Radagast, Galdriel glowing, and the character "arthur" I think was his name (the Master's lackey).

• Like 2

Hobbit 3, the Battle of Five Armies, AKA How to stretch a short book into 3 movies culmination....

ARGH...well, i will say this.  Watching this film made me realize just HOW BAD Desolation of Smaug was.  The battle is intense, and the movie is fast paced...in some places too fast paced actually.  And the whole Durin story is poorly done IMO...I don't know, it just didn't convey well.  It felt "forced".

Either way, the action is pretty good.  Please release a fan edit of this film.  Please release a fan edit that cuts out Legolas, Dwarf Elf Romance, Gandalf vs the Necromancer, Radagast, Galdriel glowing, and the character "arthur" I think was his name (the Master's lackey).

Or bloated or unnecessary or unneeded, missing the K.I.S.S. test?

Yeah, I know I had mentioned there were bit that could have easily been cut down quite a bit in the first film but I didn't feel like I had just watched a 3 hour film at the end. This one it felt like a slog to get to the end even though I am glad to have seen on the big screen.

A friend of my wife rented out the Clinton Streeet theater and showed the film version of Star Wars today. The droids were dirty and oily. Luke and the Jawas were covered with sand and dust. Han shot first. Luke shouts "Carrie!" after he exits the X Wing after the he return to the base when the Death Star is destroyed. It was glorious. 10/10

It was almost the same movie I saw when was seven.

• Like 9

American Sniper: 6/10(if you read the book) 8/10(if not) - If you follow the news (or are reading this), you know this story doesn't not end happily.  There was clearly some dust in the theater at the end.  Movie generally followed the book, but obviously with it being a moving some license was taken.  It was enough that I noticed it (as a person who read the book and loved it), but not too much that the messages in the book were lost.    I wish they would have addressed the Jesse Ventura (F him) issues, but other than that it was a good telling of the story.  if you read the book, it is a must see, if you know the outcome of the story, then you should see it.  It is tough in sections, and really captures the family being torn apart issues well.  I recommend it if you like the military, but if you cant handle sad stories it might not be for you.  

American Sniper: 6/10(if you read the book) 8/10(if not) - If you follow the news (or are reading this), you know this story doesn't not end happily.  There was clearly some dust in the theater at the end.  Movie generally followed the book, but obviously with it being a moving some license was taken.  It was enough that I noticed it (as a person who read the book and loved it), but not too much that the messages in the book were lost.    I wish they would have addressed the Jesse Ventura (F him) issues, but other than that it was a good telling of the story.  if you read the book, it is a must see, if you know the outcome of the story, then you should see it.  It is tough in sections, and really captures the family being torn apart issues well.  I recommend it if you like the military, but if you cant handle sad stories it might not be for you.  

Agree on all points. IMO, one of the best book to film documentaries I've seen in awhile.

Maze Runner - 8/10 - Humans are so weird... Why do adults think they can do that to kids in the name of "humanity"...

Hobbit 3 - 9/10 - What an interesting way to do it! I enjoyed the movie thoroughly, I hope to see a 6 pack of all extended! Or at least Hobbit Trilogy in 3 pack so I can add it to my LotR set.

Zaat : 4/10 : very competent cinematography as this was a feature film attempt by a company that made industrial films underwater but that does not make up for the horrible writing and padding to make it a 90 minute film as they were marketing at the drive in market. Anyway german scientist who has been working in secret to make a man fish and giant mutant fish in order to take over the world or destroy surface dwelling humans or does it really matter? He turns himself into a fishman and then goes in search of material for making a fishwoman. Enter bumbling small town cops, some cringeworthy dialog of the Sheriff saying calling the young black biologist from the university boy all the time and then some gubbermint cryptid hunters and you have a movie of sorts. Filmed in Green Cove Springs Fl if that matters much, though I kept thinking why has this guy not become gator food a lot and the filmmakers seem to be very confused about fresh/salt water fish types for the underwater scenes.