Raak

What books are you reading or have recently read?

The Emperor's Gift by ADB (my fav Black Library writer, I think.  Dunno.  Close call)

If you like the Space Wolves, you'll like this book.  If you read the Ravenor series, you will have an *AHA!* moment I bet.

I enjoyed the book.  What's the greater good (not the Tau version) worth to folks?  How much will folks sacrifice?  Makes ya think...

On 9/19/2019 at 11:33 PM, dalmer said:

The Emperor's Gift by ADB (my fav Black Library writer, I think.  Dunno.  Close call)

If you like the Space Wolves, you'll like this book.  If you read the Ravenor series, you will have an *AHA!* moment I bet.

I enjoyed the book.  What's the greater good (not the Tau version) worth to folks?  How much will folks sacrifice?  Makes ya think...

Good book,

Reminds me of swinging glow bats on Lowca.

And you went master powers... Lol!!

Tired of not finding books I want to read at the library, I decided to read Harry Potter (book 1) for the second time. Nostalgia, I guess. Haven't read it in about 20yrs. In 7th or 8th  grade, our librarian got some copies directly from the UK, so I read that first one before the craze and quite a long while ago.

Started earlier today, I've read half in the last 2 hours. First book is pretty short compared to the others, though it was a normal size book for a 7th or 8th grader's novel.

Honestly, this first book isn't very good, as I read it now. It just progresses at a quick pace and that allows it to glaze over it's many failings. Kinda like a thriller in that respect. It bombards the readers with lots of fantasy ideas and has very little on-topic substance. On the other hand, this approach is perfect in laying the groundwork for a sequel, as it offers lots of potential to later build into an epic fantasy setting. So as a stand alone, while it being a quick read may make it read-able, it's not really worth reading. But as a the first in a series, I think the author did a good job.

Though the protagonist, Harry Potter, is just scum. It's a story about a 1%er who always has everything go well for him and barely has to make any decisions. Yes, he has "backstory" sadness, but it's not really part of the book - in the book, everything always gets better. Problems around him tend to get resolved by his friends, who flock to him either because of his unearned income, his prophetic birth, or because of his many powerful allies inherited through his conveniently decreased parents. If presented with a fork in his path, he always chooses the easiest path with the nicest people in it. He's like one of those Harem anime male protagonists.....dunno, I think it mainly bugs me because of the hype around this series. He's not that uncommon for a fantasy protagonist.

Wow, talk about a tinted view and reading.  It's a book about a 12-year-old with all the well-informed and considered decisions you would expect from one.  You've ignored all the people who hate him for his history, all of Slytherin, Snape and others and you forget that even if he's liked by people in Gryffindor he still gets [big bad swear word] from them as well.  This only gets worse and worse the farther you get into the series as well.

The first book is actually well edited and tightly written.  It gives you the details you need to understand why and when things happen and very little more.  That includes introducing you to the Dursleys, a large part of the backstory sadness that you are blowing off, and detailing a bit of how the houses work although you are supposed to know that because it was written initially for a British audience.  After that all the scenes are actually either plot or character development, which is something you cannot say about later books (by book 5 she was being very loosely edited and there is a lot of dark, useless crap in that book).

Finally, the series is not strictly about Harry.  It's an ensemble story which includes his friends and that is intentional.  It's written in his viewpoint but he is not the sole protagonist.

2 hours ago, Duckman said:

Wow, talk about a tinted view and reading.  It's a book about a 12-year-old with all the well-informed and considered decisions you would expect from one.  You've ignored all the people who hate him for his history, all of Slytherin, Snape and others and you forget that even if he's liked by people in Gryffindor he still gets [big bad swear word] from them as well.  This only gets worse and worse the farther you get into the series as well.

The first book is actually well edited and tightly written.  It gives you the details you need to understand why and when things happen and very little more.  That includes introducing you to the Dursleys, a large part of the backstory sadness that you are blowing off, and detailing a bit of how the houses work although you are supposed to know that because it was written initially for a British audience.  After that all the scenes are actually either plot or character development, which is something you cannot say about later books (by book 5 she was being very loosely edited and there is a lot of dark, useless crap in that book).

Finally, the series is not strictly about Harry.  It's an ensemble story which includes his friends and that is intentional.  It's written in his viewpoint but he is not the sole protagonist.

Our debates don't really go anywhere, and you tend to get offended, so how about we skip this debate and just agree to disagree?

In the Shadow of Spindrift House, by Mira Grant: The high concept pitch here is "Scooby Doo and the Shadow over Innsmouth", but that entirely fails to do it justice. You've got a pretty clear Scooby Gang analogue, but it's all played deadly serious, and packs in more genuine horror than Lovecraft did in his Shadow. Left me messed up for like a day and a half afterward as I processed through it.

Finished Harry Potter 1 (as mentioned above, I was reviewing the first half of the first book). Then read book 2 and 3. Definitely feel that RK rowling was being stifled creatively with first book, as the books improve in creative writing quality as they get longer and longer. Though, the character, harry potter still bugs me for lots of reasons.

Finally got the complete series for another Mercedes Lackey set. Read Winds of Fate. Two more in that series, which I haven't read yet, both start with "Winds of" in their titles. I enjoy this author, though her books are hit or miss because she tries new things a lot and some of them are not my thing. For example, she did an entire series from the point of view of a Gryphon, which I just couldn't get into. Did another one about a Gay male wizard, which I had trouble with, but I keep thinking I need to re-read that one. But then she's written several others which I very much enjoyed. And it's the topic material which is hit and miss, not the writing style, the author is great I think. And all these mentioned stories are part of a single overall setting, so they reference each other (which is part of why I keep thinking I need to re-read them).

Just last week finished "Fall; or, Dodge in Hell" by Neal Stephenson... and I was kinda disappointed overall when compared to the last few books of his I have gone through.  3.75 out of 5 stars I guess.  I'm not sure why it had to be so long and drawn out ... needless and directionless for a good chunk.  

Started "Star Wars: Maul"... as some research for my gaming group... whom don't know it yet... but Prison awaits them lol.  So far so good - I didn't expect much from it ...and so far it is decent enough lol.