What books are you reading or have recently read?

Raak

Hugh Howey - Wool

Not sure how to categorize it exactly...  Fiction?  Sci-Fi?  Post-Apoc Horror?

Billed as an omnibus, it is told as a series of 5 stories following a character or two in "the Silo".  The writing is tight and well edited.  I want to call it sci-fi but it is science lite if you put it in that category.  The later stories are longer and give more details about the setting which is where the science breaks down.  As with Freedom, YMMV.  The science Howey invokes is not as close to my wheel-house as the software in Suarez so maybe I am more forgiving because I lack some of the fine detail...  It is possible to find quibbles with the hard science and you might have problems with specific characters but in general I enjoyed the central idea of his universe and his writing style and happily devoured the stories without worrying about the quibbles.

More details...  Howey is being held up as one of the shining successes of self-publishing.  Wool is pretty tightly written and well edited.  He's been picked up by a publisher on a print-only deal and Wool has both a graphic novel deal and a movie deal in the works.

• Like 1

Read: The Magic of Recluce today.

Good story, though the edition I have is poorly edited. It includes many sections of major confusion due to author starting a chapter with "he" or "she" and doesn't name the character speaking until much later, despite conversations where knowing who is speaking is very key. Similar issue with scene changes, where author spends lots of time describing reactions to things, but very little time explaining what they are reacting to, which causes me to need to re-read sections find the non-existent transition I missed. Simple fixes that I bet were fixed in later releases.

I did, very much, enjoy the story and will be picking up the sequel ASAP.

Hello there,

I just read "Scars" from the Horus Heresy series... I think it's like the 28th book for me in that series.  I enjoyed it; then again, I've enjoyed all of the series.

Nice to get some familiarity with the White Scars chapter and I love how the Primarchs, even as powerful as they are, are rendered to very recognizable human figures that have a yearning for purpose, or jealousy, or don't want to be alone, etc.

Looking to get the Eisenhorn trilogy to have something to read until the next Horus Heresy mass market paperback book comes out.

Stay safe,

don

I must interject some defense of Gene Wolfe. The man's a modern master, and Book of the New Sun (Shadow of the Torturer, Claw of the Conciliator, Sword of the Lictor, Citadel of the Autarch) collectively are some of my very favorite books of all time. He certainly writes in an obscure and layered fashion, but it rewards multiple readings and examination of the books, as his protagonists are not entirely honest in their recounting of events. They are a challenging read, to be sure, but ultimately a rewarding one, with many nods to real events and fictional characters we are familiar with, reflected in a strange mirror.

Just read: "Constance" by Patrick McGrath, and it was really good. Same author wrote "Asylum" and "Spider", and all three books are about characters with greater or lesser mental instabilities. Spider became a weird little movie by Cronenberg.

Speaking of Cronenberg, he just put out a book called "Consumed" which I am just starting, and I hope it will be as weird as his movies.

The Doctor And The Dinosaur by Mike Resnick : Probably the last of his steampunk/fantasy alternate west books featuring Doc Holliday and friends. This one is fun so far. Doc Holliday given a bit of a reprieve on his health by Geronimo is off to fight dinosaurs brought back to life by the Comanche as the two rival paleontologists are digging on burial grounds and Doc realizes that the live dinosaurs is not a threat to the two professors.

The previous books are The Buntline Special, The Doctor And The Kid, and The Doctor And The Roughrider all are quite fun western pulp with indian medicine man magic and electrical wizardry.

Read The Towers of the Sunset, the sequel to the one I posted before. This one solved the issues with sloppy editing, but the main character changed from that book to this one, and the new character isn't as good as the first one. 4/5 again.

Anyway, picked up the next two books, I'm looking forward to a perfect read, one of these days. The guy has potential.

• 2 months later...

So for christmas not really knowing what I wanted I asked the parents for some gift cards so I can start buying up stuff on my B&N wishlist for my nook.

Besides a bunch of stuff that will be awhile for me to get through like all the Barsoom books, a collection of Zane Grey, etc. on a whim I got the first Sandman Slim book as they had a sale on first in series going.

Man that was fun. I had been marginally aware of the books as Cory Doctorow recommends them on Boing Boing but I find it hit and miss for what he likes but for $1 what the heck. Our anti-hero is back from 11 years literally in Hell and he wants revenge on the jerk magician who sent him there, and gets tangled up with Angels and other supernatural things in the process. If you like Harry Dresden you will probably like Sandman Slim.

I right away checked the 2nd book Kill The Dead out of the library pretty much right away and burned through that in no time, zombies, Lucifer, and Homeland Security. I am on a hold wait for Aloha From Hell.

I also over the holiday read Bad Monkey from Carl Hiaasen as my wife is a fan of him. So yeah, he writes crime/cop stories about guys who are total f***ups and hijinks ensue. I will have to read some more of his stuff.

Other than that I have been reading stories from the Solomon Kane and Conan collections I got with my holiday credit which are good pulpy fun.

And I just started The Girl The Gold Watch and Everything as it showed up in the recommended list when browsing the library catalog and I barely remember the 1980 movie on TV but remember it being fun so what the heck and even though I am just at the beginning it is looking to be an enjoying read. 

• Like 1

I'm currently reading Brief History of Time.  I'm not sure what is coming next, as I'm trying to spend some time reading non-fiction.  I've also considered trying to use "reading time" to learn a new language, but then I realized I should just allocate separate time for learning a language.  That's as far as that internal dialogue developed lol  

• 3 months later...

Seveneves, by Neal Stephenson. Very good. I'd rank it just under Cryptonomicon in my personal ranking, and only Snow Crash is above that. Makes me kind of interested in watching The 100, because it's a similar premise, but an order of magnitude or two more extreme, and I'd be interested in seeing the different ways it was handled.

Kind of reminds me of Heinlein in some ways, the stories of his where the plot and characters are basically there to let him play around with ideas about space travel and the tech for it. That's not a knock on it, the ideas in the book are really cool, and Stephenson is good at exploring and laying out stuff like this. He doesn't get as dense with it as in REAMDE or The Baroque Cycle, and even tho the characters are basically an excuse for the technical stuff, they're still mostly pretty good characters.