What books are you reading or have recently read?

Raak

I finally got around to reading Declare, by Tim Powers: ★★★★★

I'm a big Tim Powers fan... I think I've read all his stuff now. Declare ranks near the top, up there with Last Call and Anubis Gates. It's a mix of Powers' usual secret history stuff with a WW2 and Cold War spy thriller. Good stuff. 

... Hellblazer TPBs 1-7 so far, with 8-10 on the "on deck circle" on the nightstand.

Reading "Galaxy in Flames" to my girlfriend on some downtimes... she's really digging the lore thus far and knows nothing about the current state so it's interesting to see/hear her reactions to the various players.  Lucius just pissed her off, when I knew the whole time since he was introduced in the books what he was going to end up as.  I envy her newness to the storylines, it's really cool.

Have "Drive:  What Really Motivates Us" in the work book rotation and "The Worldwound Incursion" next on the fun rotation.

Love hearing folks' likes and recommendations here.

• Like 1

And be glad you get to read it in one go. The wait for the last issue was @$%#ing agonizing.

I recently finished up Pride and Prejudice. It's one that I'd avoided, despite many recommendations, because of the deep-seated distrust of "classics" that my HS English classes instilled in me. Now I'm bummed that I denied myself that read for so long. Great book. Very funny. One of my new faves.

In the middle of Cotillion by Georgette Heyer right now. In a similar vein, not quite as good, but still good.

The Bands of Mourning by Brandon Sanderson

Another good Mistborn book that I enjoyed reading.  Follows the Wax and Wayne group.  Nice progression of the characters and storyline.

Stardust by Neil Gaiman

First book (non-graphic novel) I have read by him.  Great, great, great  easy read book.  Definitely suggest everyone read this one.  It reads like a fairy tale but definitely will draw ya in.

Imager 

LE Modesitt jr

Not sure I liked or disliked it, but I couldn't put it down and finished in under 24 hours. Now I'm debating the morality of returning to Powells, since I finished so quickly and still have the reciept...

If it was a [big bad swear word] book, in less than 24 hrs, ya I would return it. You didn't get the experience or product you were expecting to get. I wouldn't do it every book or anything. Just in instences you are describing.

But it sounds like to me he did get a good experience. He "Couldn't put it down." The books purpose is to be read. He read it. It is now used. Sell it to their used branch.

• Like 2

Could he not put it down as it was engaging, or was it due to that hope for improvement? What's the return policy on Media at Big Box Stores? Unopened only?

It was engaging. As to the return policy, Powell's says I have 30days to return, and I can return for basically any reason, provided the product is in about the same condition (and if it was sealed, that it remains sealed). As I read it, since I bought the book used, there's very little I could do to the book that would make it ineligible for returns. The main thing is not losing the receipt. And their policy gives a full refund, not just credit.

But just because I can, doesn't mean I should. In essence, returning the books makes Powells into a library, which would be fine if they were funded around the idea of not selling books, but they are a for profit business and a local one at that.

So on the one hand, their return policy is their choice and they certainly wrote in a manner than transforms their store into a library. On the other hand, if they never sell books, they'll disappear. Anyway, I didn't mean to derail this thread so much, kinda expected it to be a simple question that others would a simple answer for.

And as an aside, this is why I don't actual books much. It's too expensive because I read too quickly.

If you are unhappy with the purchase, and feel Powells can do something to improve your experience, and will help retain you as a customer, do it, their policy is such for that reason.

But it sounds like the book was captivating, even if you ultimately didn't think it was a good book.

I'm unhappy with the purchase only in the respect that I've finished reading the book and don't intend to read it again....