Walpurgis masters and pool size.

Veskit

Heck, the upgrades don't even need to be positive. If it serves the story, you could make someone pick up a soulstone addiction for a game. A model with he use soulstone ability has to take it, and on any turn they don't use at least one soulstone to modify a flip, the following turn they get a negative twist to all flips they make. Perhaps in return their cache gets increased by one, or perhaps there are no benefits, it just has to be taken.

Upgrades are actually pretty genius. I could see them being a great way to do campaign-based play. You get access to more upgrades as you advance ( that are specifically tied to the experiences you have had) but games will still be balanced because of the SS cost of the upgrade.

DAN! THIS! You HAVE to make custom scenario-specific upgrades. That is sheer genius! Let folks find artifacts/equipment/crazy powers during the adventure and carry them to the next game (if they choose to use the points on them).

Funny you guys should mention this, because we've already been working with those thoughts in mind before they were even mentioned here.  In the works is a custom scheme deck that has included a card for a central character to the narrative and some upgrades both for him and for others to purchase in certain scenarios!

And don't worry, narrative will still be a main focus, although not written by me because otherwise it would suck!

My big disappointment is there are too many masters that have a large gaping weakness, in single master those are relegated out of play.  I'll go with the flow though, single master, 100ss pool, upgrades not included would be my thoughts then (assume we're doing 35ss, 50ss and 70ss games).

• Like 2

And this was where my inexperience with the system was giving me pause. I too was like upgrades unique to event I was also working with a scheme to replace line in the sand (being always availible) that was narrative driven.

Pool size and game size was giving me fits. 

Dan thanks again for taking this on! 

• 2 months later...