Reaper Bones are not that cheap!

busbina

I needed some orcs for a Pathfinder game tomorrow, so I thought I could do it on the cheap. The bones orcs were 2.75 a piece, but I needed 10 so it was going to be 27.50, however a box of GW fantasy boys were 28.99. So for 1.50 more I got highly detailed plastic models, instead of  the blurred detail on the bones. 

• Like 1

I was part of the first Reaper Bones Kickstarer. I jumped in for about 135$ I think, so I got quite a few Mini's and a couple of extra dragons. I have to say, I was very saddened when I acutally recieved my Mini's. They are of extreamly poor quality, less than your standard non-paintable game piece. The materail used to make up the models would change in hardness and type within the same model. It would go from hardended plastic to almost a rubber "Dog chew toy" quality. I'm just just talking about the bendy weapons (I undersand that).

I figured they would be along the lines as the mini's from Zombicide (should you also have a copy of those near by).

I would not suggest Reapers Bones lines to anyone.

But, to be fully fair, due to the Bones line I recived via kickstarter, I did pick up a few metal versions. I found a few models I liked, and I wanted to have better quality versions of.

Really? For 135 you probably got minis at <$1 a piece. Are there any other minis of any quality that you can get at that price? These are roughly equivalent to the quality material you get from D&D prepaints, etc, but with better detail and no paint. Pretty sure even the D&D prepaints sell for more than $1 a piece.

Personally, I love reaper bones because my kids can play with them and they give me a huge pile of minis for D&D games, including characters and plenty of monsters. I don't think I expected them to be the same quality as their metal minis though. Not for that price.

My initial reaction to my reaper bones was indeed...cheaper than I had hoped. However, I did get a huge amount of figs and for D&D games or the like, they are just fine. The ones I have seen in the store in blisters appear to be slightly better quality. So it could simply be that the quality for the kickstarter orders was simply less than normal due to the huge quantities they had to process. At least that is what I'm hoping. Reviews I have seen on web sites for the retail product have been quite decent.

• 2 weeks later...