Rate the last series/season you saw (TV)

11 hours ago, WarlordGhrom said:

Altered Carbon (8/10) - was good, but I think the deviations from the book story were not good choices.  Worth watching, but disappointed me after fully enjoying the book.

Didn't realize source material. Thought it was a well done modern scifi show with obvious nods to the greats. I'll have to look into the book. 

• Like 1

Paradise PD (Season 1, Netflix)

3/5

It is funny. Show is sort of a reimagining of the show Brickleberry, but instead of park rangers, they are police officers. Most of the characters are the quite similar, both in character and voice. It's the same sort of humor, if you can tollerate the one, you'll be fine with the other. 

That said, this one seems forced together. It's like they determined that they wanted certain things in a show, and rather than waiting for an author to create something that suited them, they just grafted things to an existing show. I think it's worse than Brickleberry (which I would also rate 3/5). If we ever get more seasons, I wouldn't be surprised if it surpasses the original, but for now, it is worse. Either way, I don't expect this one to get better than 3/5...just better than it's predecessor. 

Adventure Time (all seasons, streamed on amazon prime)

5/5

Series ended with the episode that aired on the 3rd of this month (yesterday). I liked the show, though it saddened me to learn that they ended it. Wasteful, as they could have easily continued indefinitely - show's plot doesn't require consistent characters, setting, or animation style, so ending it was just wasteful.   

If you haven't seen it, it's a great show and probably one of the few shows on TV that purely pushes good morality. Target audience is both kids and adults, though it doesn't really have the complexity that more typical adult shows have. It's relaxing to watch. 

On 9/4/2018 at 4:59 AM, paxmiles said:

Paradise PD (Season 1, Netflix)

3/5

It is funny. Show is sort of a reimagining of the show Brickleberry, but instead of park rangers, they are police officers. Most of the characters are the quite similar, both in character and voice. It's the same sort of humor, if you can tollerate the one, you'll be fine with the other. 

That said, this one seems forced together. It's like they determined that they wanted certain things in a show, and rather than waiting for an author to create something that suited them, they just grafted things to an existing show. I think it's worse than Brickleberry (which I would also rate 3/5). If we ever get more seasons, I wouldn't be surprised if it surpasses the original, but for now, it is worse. Either way, I don't expect this one to get better than 3/5...just better than it's predecessor. 

Just watched it myself. It is the same creators as Brickleberry, so little surprise that there are similarities. Mostly just want to note that this show is very hit or miss. No middle ground whatsoever. 3/5 is probably a good average, but every individual moment is either a 1 or a 5.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm mildly disappointed that they didn't get some Green Day on the soundtrack for the first episode.

3 hours ago, WestRider said:

Just watched it myself. It is the same creators as Brickleberry, so little surprise that there are similarities. Mostly just want to note that this show is very hit or miss. No middle ground whatsoever. 3/5 is probably a good average, but every individual moment is either a 1 or a 5.

Completely agree. 

Iron Fist (Season 2). 3/5

I think I have trouble getting into the protagonist. They just keep trying to play him as two opposing roles and it doesn't work. He's poor and rich, humble and arrogant, compasionate and emotionally dense, and so forth. And then the martial arts aspect is rather downplayed, I think, as his super power (the iron fist) is pushed above him being an accomplished martial artist (I'd rather see more martial arts).  

It's otherwise on par with those other marvel tv shows on netflix. 

Without getting into spoilers, the ending on this season is definitely a twist. 

10 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Halfway through seond episode of Jack Ryan.

I was worried about Jim as Jack, but thus far it's been fine. He hasn't caused issues yet, but this doctor visit is starting to make me question it. Hmm. Otherwise, it's been decent. JEJ is a happily welcome cameo.

Wendell Pierce is the real star.

8 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Iron Fist (Season 2). 3/5

I think I have trouble getting into the protagonist. They just keep trying to play him as two opposing roles and it doesn't work. He's poor and rich, humble and arrogant, compasionate and emotionally dense, and so forth. And then the martial arts aspect is rather downplayed, I think, as his super power (the iron fist) is pushed above him being an accomplished martial artist (I'd rather see more martial arts).  

It's otherwise on par with those other marvel tv shows on netflix. 

Without getting into spoilers, the ending on this season is definitely a twist. 

I mostly agree with this. The writers were smart enough to let the women carry more of the show since Danny is so weak.

• Like 1

Home Movies (Season 1, Hulu)

3/5

I've started and stopped this one a few times. Early Simpsons-era animated sit-com. First season is really hard to watch because the animation is really shaky (like literally shaky). Looks like all the characters have had too much coffee, except that's just how it's animated. Show isn't bad and it grows on you. I've only started season 2, but the shaky animation issue is resolved, so definitely improving. 

Show is mediocre, and it's dated, but still causes me to smile sometimes and laugh at others. Not bad. 

Regarding target audience, it's a family target audience, like the simpsons, and possibly a bit cruder than them, but still of that era, so even their crudest humor is so soft compared to modern crude humor.

Jack Ryan - only ten eps?? Disappointing...the show is good. Wish there was more of it. I really like how they show all angles of the conflict. Nicely done.

Iron Fist season 2 - again only 10 episdoes. I really wish they had found a better storyline. I'm just not impressed. Maybe part of the problem is that martial arts is too common now? I don't know, but it doesn't seem very super, especially with what they do with the Iron Fist power. It really jumps the shark at the end. Not a good sign for season 2. 

High School USA (Season 1, hulu)

4/5

I really enjoyed the humor. I feel like the show is about making fun of people born in the 90s. I was born mid-80s, so this was a real treat. It's basically making fun of the way *your* kids do things. It's a comedy. They do a good job keeping some rather contraversial/dark topics in an upbeat light. I don't recall swearing or nudity, but it's definitely not for children. 

Animation style reminds me of Archie comics.

Death in Paradise, a joint BBC One / France 2 production, about an Detective-Inspector from London who gets dragooned into working on a small island in the Caribbean that seems to inexplicably have an impossible to solve murder (or two) every week.

Not a serious crime drama by any means, but a rather lighthearted whodunnit that reminds me very much of Monk, Psych, or Columbo. Think of it as  Murder She Wrote meets Doc Martin meets a Royal Caribbean Cruise Line commercial. Fun and quirky characters, lots of charm, and an absolutely spectacular backdrop (filmed on location in French Caribbean island of Guadeloupe).

• Like 2

Mary Shelley's Frankenhole (Almost 2 seasons, streamed all free episodes on Adult Swim, which is most of them, but not all)

4/5

Created by the same guy as the High School USA, "Dino"-something. It's stop motion with odd paper-craft figures, I guess. Same humor as the other, though this one is less upbeat (more neutral in that regard).

Plot is that Frankenstein (the scientist) has discovered immortality, and also has a home located next to a bunch of "franken holes" which are time-traveling portals to various points in history. Each episode is some historical figure asking frankenstein for help. There's no morality here (or real science for that matter), just comedy. Funny and their use of stop-motion papercraft really solves the issues of what would otherwise be a very dark comedy.

Not for children or people unable to enjoy historical figures being portrayed inaccurately...

17 hours ago, WestRider said:

Iron Fist, Season 2: Inarguably better than the first season, but it's still not consistently grabbing me. The biggest factor is that, in various ways, Danny, Ward, and Davos all bug the hell out of me. Colleen and Misty were great, and I'd love to see a Daughters of the Dragon spinoff sometime. Walker was pretty awesome too.

The more I think about it, Davos was the real problem. Danny and Ward have their issues, but Davos is just so intolerably self-righteous and uptight. Honestly, I think half his problem is that he's straightedge. Dude needs to smoke a bowl and chill out.

17 minutes ago, WestRider said:

The more I think about it, Davos was the real problem. Danny and Ward have their issues, but Davos is just so intolerably self-righteous and uptight. Honestly, I think half his problem is that he's straightedge. Dude needs to smoke a bowl and chill out.

Davos has a bit of a handicap in that he only regards people from his homeland as equals and his homeland was destroyed. Creates a situation where he can't get the help he so obviously needs, which results in being unable to learn. It's great character design for an antagonist in an action film, but Iron Fist is a drama so it doesn't work. He'd be great for a mirror universe episode. 

40 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Davos has a bit of a handicap in that he only regards people from his homeland as equals and his homeland was destroyed. Creates a situation where he can't get the help he so obviously needs, which results in being unable to learn. It's great character design for an antagonist in an action film, but Iron Fist is a drama so it doesn't work. He'd be great for a mirror universe episode. 

I get the same vibe from him even in the flashbacks to K'un-Lun. Pretty sure he would have been an inflexible self-righteous jerk regardless.

Also, even when Danny points out that he's going against so much of what his parents and others in K'un-Lun taught them, Davos dismisses it and says he'd kill them too if they opposed him.

6 hours ago, WestRider said:

I get the same vibe from him even in the flashbacks to K'un-Lun. Pretty sure he would have been an inflexible self-righteous jerk regardless.

Reveal hidden contents

Also, even when Danny points out that he's going against so much of what his parents and others in K'un-Lun taught them, Davos dismisses it and says he'd kill them too if they opposed him.

@your hidden contents: Davos has been alone for too long. He was mentally alone at k'un-lun and it got worse when he lost that connection.  He's got issues that need resolving but the few people he would have been able to work it out with, are gone. And Danny is the last person that should be talking to him. Danny's just not a very reliable person, he's not in touch with his inner emotions, nor aware of the emotions of others. Davos needs a good friend, one from K'un-lun to work his stuff out (with words), one that get's it and understands the troubles he's going through (even if their understanding is only enough to listen and help Davos reflect).

But since no person like that exists, Davos is just a broken record. Cruddy writing, in my opinion. Good for one or two episodes, but not a season. Davos has no ability to change and Danny lacks the ability to change him, so it's a stupid no-win situation. And no-win situations make the hero look bad in a super hero flick - the hero is supposed to defy expectations and do the impossible...it's fail.

That said, I thought Davos was awesome. I just hoped danny would rise to the occasion (like the hero he's supposed to be). But it's not just him, most of marvel TV shows of late seem to feature heroes that are lacking in the hero department. I sometimes suspect that there's a conspiracy aimed at crushing all positive role models in the media - super heroes really have been taking a hit, lately, on the good role model end of things. In those marvel shows, best role model so far has been Frank Castle, and it should be pretty obvious that if he's a good role model, they've failed....

3 hours ago, paxmiles said:

@your hidden contents: Davos has been alone for too long. He was mentally alone at k'un-lun and it got worse when he lost that connection.  He's got issues that need resolving but the few people he would have been able to work it out with, are gone. And Danny is the last person that should be talking to him. Danny's just not a very reliable person, he's not in touch with his inner emotions, nor aware of the emotions of others. Davos needs a good friend, one from K'un-lun to work his stuff out (with words), one that get's it and understands the troubles he's going through (even if their understanding is only enough to listen and help Davos reflect).

But since no person like that exists, Davos is just a broken record. Cruddy writing, in my opinion. Good for one or two episodes, but not a season. Davos has no ability to change and Danny lacks the ability to change him, so it's a stupid no-win situation. And no-win situations make the hero look bad in a super hero flick - the hero is supposed to defy expectations and do the impossible...it's fail.

That said, I thought Davos was awesome. I just hoped danny would rise to the occasion (like the hero he's supposed to be). But it's not just him, most of marvel TV shows of late seem to feature heroes that are lacking in the hero department. I sometimes suspect that there's a conspiracy aimed at crushing all positive role models in the media - super heroes really have been taking a hit, lately, on the good role model end of things. In those marvel shows, best role model so far has been Frank Castle, and it should be pretty obvious that if he's a good role model, they've failed....

His isolation is definitely an element, but it's the way it makes a feedback loop with his perfectionism and self-righteousness that really pushes him over into unlikable. I was reminded a number of times through this series of the bit from Winter Soldier where Sam tells Steve "I don't think he's the kind you save. I think he's the kind you stop." Except that, in this case, because that's actually who Davos is, he wasn't brainwashed like Bucky was, it's actually correct. Also, with Winter Soldier, it only had to hold together for two hours, not 10, so we didn't have to loop through it multiple times.

I think the writing is hampered by the fact that Finn Jones doesn't have what it takes to make Danny work, but the Show is called Iron Fist, so they can't just write him out, or re-cast him. I feel like it comes across considerably better if you watch it with the idea that Danny is a sidekick, and Colleen and Misty are the actual heroes.

5 hours ago, WestRider said:

I think the writing is hampered by the fact that Finn Jones doesn't have what it takes to make Danny work, but the Show is called Iron Fist, so they can't just write him out, or re-cast him. I feel like it comes across considerably better if you watch it with the idea that Danny is a sidekick, and Colleen and Misty are the actual heroes.

Even if he's the sidekick, the other two aren't really motivated enough. Maybe better in the actual comics, in the show they try to keep their heads down a little too much to qualify as main heroes in a super hero flick. Danny might not be great, but he's at least got his own motivation. Season 3 looks promising, though, for both colleen and danny. 

Misty needs social skills. 

14 minutes ago, WestRider said:

Whaddaya talk? Misty's awesome. She can pull that stuff out when she needs to, but when it doesn't matter, she's just totally up-front, no BS. I love people like that.

It's a TV cop thing, not just her. Rather than asking for things like a reasonable person, she'd rather blackmail them, threaten, or hold hostages (in a manner that's technically legal). In pathfinder terms, she has only skill points invested in Intimidate and Bluff...She can't just convince people of things without rolling bluff or intimidate.

Misty is (and always has been) a Gritty Cop Show! style of detective, she’s basically “Dirty” Harry Callahan in a miniskirt. Personally, I think the logical place for the MCU!Netflix shows to go with her character is to have her extralegal involvement with powered vigilantes end up getting her fired.

It’s been established that she’s been dancing on the razor’s edge with One Police Plaza for years, a lot of her superiors dislike her, the corrupt cops all hate her, and it’s basically only politics and “good optics” that kept her on the force after the events of Luke Cage series one and The Defenders.

So, let’s say something happens with Misty as collateral damage from Luke’s new Face-Heel Turn as the king of Harlem (we all know it won’t last, but we also all know something really bad is going to happen first).  This gives “the brass” the public relations cover they need to fire Misty...

And then Misty can open a PI office in partnership with Colleen and we can get the Daughters of the Dragon series we all want! 

• Like 1