Rate the last series/season you saw (TV)

Overlord (Season 3, Hulu)

4/5

I really like this show, that said, this has been the weakest season so far. I feel that this season sets up later seasons, and is intended as like a "support" season, which is why it is so lacking. This season also represents the first season where the manga (comics) were not released before the anime (TV series). This is based on a set of novels so they haven't started doing their own thing as an anime, but there is definitely a change in quality. 

For those that haven't seen it, this show, unfortunately, is one of the better shows that still has new episodes coming out. We've seen a pretty steep drop in TV show quality, I feel, and while I like this show, I do think that it could be better and the fact that there aren't that many better shows coming out is more a mark of failure, than one of this show succeeding. 

Anyway, plot-wise, basically a Lich who is Lawful Evil is the protagonist, and his dungeon of OP minons is bored due to a lack of worthy adventurers coming to them, so they venture out of the dungeon.

D&D fans would love this. Warhammer Fantasy too. They do a good job giving face time to the fantasy races and classes that really don't have enough TV shows about them as more than just disposable antagonists. 

I will note, this show does not feature any real conflict. Protagonist is entirely overpowered. Show is relaxing in that repsect. Like superman without cryptonite or moral attachment to humanity...actually makes for a decent show. If american shows were not so concerned about fear-mongering, they'd be like this, completely devoid of real conflict and yet a very relaxing show to enjoy. 

4 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

She's usually in pants.  I don't get what you are saying.

In the Netflix MCU shows, but I don’t think I’ve ever read a comic where Knight wasn’t wearing a miniskirt or hot pants... There might have been some hip-hugging bell bottoms back in the Seventies, but none I can recall.

I think they had her go through a Emma Peel catsuit phase in the Late Nineties/Early Aughts, but I admit my knowledge of Marvel’s D-List kind of peters out during the period. 

• Like 1

Vikings Seasons 4.2 and 5.1

I'm a history buff and a grognard for historical accuracy. The kind of guy who can launch into a fifteen minute tirade at the drop of a hat about some insignificant anachronism in a film or television show... But I love this series.

Like most historical fictions that span a lengthy period of time and/or a period of history where the record is ambiguous, Vikings takes some liberties. Timelines are compressed, many characters are amalgamations of historical persons, other characters are invented whole cloth, and absolutely everybody is wearing really odd amounts of studded leather for no apparent reason...

But (and this is key) it’s one of the only series I’ve ever seen set in this time and place that has the characters think like people in their situation would have done. These are late 8th Century men and women who act like it. The Norse aren’t a biker gang of knuckle dragging savages, the Saxons aren’t perfectly pacifistic victims of pillaging heathens nor are they mustache twirling evil overlords, the Franks aren’t (all) sneering hypocrites who claim to be Christian but are secretly evil overlords, the word “Viking” is properly used as a description of a lifestyle and not as an ethnicity.

The show treats the Norse beliefs in their gods, their omens, and their faith with the exact same treatment as that of the Christians (and briefly, in a couple episodes in the later seasons, the Muslims). It avoids the old Hollywood trope of depicting the heathens as idiots and the Christians as righteous, but also avoids the New Hollywood trap of the pagans being perfect Noble Savages and the Christians as self-deluded morons. 

The action sequences are fantastic, both the one-on-one duels and the big set-piece battles. Yeah, they have to make some concessions to the needs of dramatic storytelling, actor safety, and limited budget... But, holy [big bad swear word], these people know how to use shields! Do you know how rare it is to see people in medieval films actually using and not just carrying shields!? 

Awesome series, highly recommended. A+ overall (even the dullest season is still a respectable B-). 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ish said:

In the Netflix MCU shows, but I don’t think I’ve ever read a comic where Knight wasn’t wearing a miniskirt or hot pants... There might have been some hip-hugging bell bottoms back in the Seventies, but none I can recall.

I think they had her go through a Emma Peel catsuit phase in the Late Nineties/Early Aughts, but I admit my knowledge of Marvel’s D-List kind of peters out during the period. 

Thankfully, MCU doesn't have it's head shoved up its ass.

2 hours ago, Ish said:

Vikings Seasons 4.2 and 5.1

I'm a history buff and a grognard for historical accuracy. The kind of guy who can launch into a fifteen minute tirade at the drop of a hat about some insignificant anachronism in a film or television show... But I love this series.

Like most historical fictions that span a lengthy period of time and/or a period of history where the record is ambiguous, Vikings takes some liberties. Timelines are compressed, many characters are amalgamations of historical persons, other characters are invented whole cloth, and absolutely everybody is wearing really odd amounts of studded leather for no apparent reason...

But (and this is key) it’s one of the only series I’ve ever seen set in this time and place that has the characters think like people in their situation would have done. These are late 8th Century men and women who act like it. The Norse aren’t a biker gang of knuckle dragging savages, the Saxons aren’t perfectly pacifistic victims of pillaging heathens nor are they mustache twirling evil overlords, the Franks aren’t (all) sneering hypocrites who claim to be Christian but are secretly evil overlords, the word “Viking” is properly used as a description of a lifestyle and not as an ethnicity.

The show treats the Norse beliefs in their gods, their omens, and their faith with the exact same treatment as that of the Christians (and briefly, in a couple episodes in the later seasons, the Muslims). It avoids the old Hollywood trope of depicting the heathens as idiots and the Christians as righteous, but also avoids the New Hollywood trap of the pagans being perfect Noble Savages and the Christians as self-deluded morons. 

The action sequences are fantastic, both the one-on-one duels and the big set-piece battles. Yeah, they have to make some concessions to the needs of dramatic storytelling, actor safety, and limited budget... But, holy [big bad swear word], these people know how to use shields! Do you know how rare it is to see people in medieval films actually using and not just carrying shields!? 

Awesome series, highly recommended. A+ overall (even the dullest season is still a respectable B-). 

Have you watched Norsemen yet? It is Vikings meets Three's Company.

• Like 1

No, Netflix only just started spamming me with commercials for it every time I log in. Based on the commercials, it doesn’t look like the kind of thing I’d be interested in... But, well, I do have one absolutely dead graveyard shift every week. I figure I might give it a shot one night.

Ugly Americans (2 seasons, Amazon Prime)

3/5

I like this show. I find it relaxing.

The setting makes no sense, the characters don't really either, the episodes don't teach anything, nobody learns from their mistakes, all the characters are dysfunctional - there's no point to any of it. Not even any really memorable lines. It is all totally pointless.

That said, once you get past the idea that the show 'ought to have a point the show can be quite enjoyable and, frankly, I wish they had been able to make more episodes.

If you do find yourself enjoying this one, it's actually quite similar to the Anime: Blood Blockade Battlefront, which is also largely pointless and features the same, bizarre new york setting.

Lucifer (Seasons 1 and 2 on Hulu)

3/5

Show is basically Moonlight, but instead of a vampire, the male lead is Satan. Moonlight is a better, in my opinion, but they were both canceled....

Despite the title and topic being rather "sin" oriented, show actually seems geared at a Christian target audience. Show also seems to be promoting psychology as a practice, with a (highly unrealistic) support character psychologist regularly doing their job and being helpful. Police are also present and, largely, portrayed in a positive light.

I enjoyed it. There's a season 3 out, but I guess the show got canceled after season 3. I haven't finished 3 yet, so only reviewing the first two seasons.

Star Trek, Season 1. I used to watch several varieties pretty regularly, but I always caught the TOS episodes more or less randomly, in whatever order the local affiliate chose to broadcast them. I've never gone through the series in order before. It's actually a lot better than I remember, and quite different in some ways from the general impression (particularly of Kirk) that seems to be around in society in general. There's this image of him as a total womanizer, but through the end of season 1, his interactions with women consist of either completely professional workplace relations, or him awkwardly fending off some woman trying to seduce him, and seeming very uncomfortable about the situation. I'm looking forward to season 2.

• Like 2

Hemlock Grove, Season 1: A.k.a What the %@$# Is Wrong With You People?!?!?!? Started out OK, but kept getting more and more Soap Opera-ish as it went on. It felt like everyone was sleeping with everyone, except for the people who actually had chemistry together. The accents are all over the place. Some scenes involve a given character hitting 3-4 accents from multiple continents in just the one scene. The dialogue is worse. No one talks like that. Not even teenage girls who want to become novelists. And to cap it off, by the end of the season, almost everyone I actually liked was dead, including even the cat. Not going to be watching Seasons 2-3.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2018 at 7:36 AM, Ish said:

Death in Paradise, a joint BBC One / France 2 production, about an Detective-Inspector from London who gets dragooned into working on a small island in the Caribbean that seems to inexplicably have an impossible to solve murder (or two) every week.

Not a serious crime drama by any means, but a rather lighthearted whodunnit that reminds me very much of Monk, Psych, or Columbo. Think of it as  Murder She Wrote meets Doc Martin meets a Royal Caribbean Cruise Line commercial. Fun and quirky characters, lots of charm, and an absolutely spectacular backdrop (filmed on location in French Caribbean island of Guadeloupe).

My wife enjoys this series.

Iron Fist 2: Not as bad as Iron Fist 1. It does not live up to the Danny Rand we saw in Luke Cage 2. The allegory of the dragon being an addiction with the mirror of Ward was handled with a deft touch, but then this is a comic book show. It does have a few cool fight scenes. Dany is not as annoying as he was, but I found it lacking.

6.5/10

• Like 1

The Good Cop a Netflix original series that cannot decide if it wants to be a dramatic police show with some jokes (e.g, Castle), a comedy with murder mysteries (e.g, Psych), or a straight-up sitcom. Tony Danza is his usual charming self and is clearly having fun starring in a show again, the rest of the actors are solid too... But there’s clearly a disconnection between the writers and the directors.

It’s got potential, it’s not a bad show, it just seems to be on uncertain footing. Maybe it can “grow the beard” and become a really good show. I’m giving it a 2.75 out of 5.

If this was on a broadcast network, it would have been pulled after five episodes. On cable, it might have gotten a full season without a renewal... As Netflix original? It’s hard to say. 

I’ll finish watching the season, since I’m almost done with it. If a second season gets made, I’ll probably check it out if I run out of other stuff to watch.

Started watching Grimm a few nights ago. I’m a big BtVS fan, so all of my friends have been recommending the series for a long time now. Plus, y’know, the whole filmed on location in Portland thing.

I’m about two-thirds through the first season and am not very impressed. Hopefully it’s yet another example of a genre series that “grows the beard” after a rocky early season. It ran for quite a while and seems to have an impressively loyal fanbase, so maybe there’s something here I just haven’t gotten to yet.

Stan Lee's Lucky Man (Season 1)

3/5

It's your classic corrupt police go after "more" corrupt criminals, but they've thrown in a Magic Bracelet that grants super powers for the lead protagonist detective. I'm enjoying it, but it's really nothing special. This one is a UK show, but it's basically an equal to any of the Marvel TV shows that have been released lately, like Daredevil, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, and so forth. I am enjoying the setting, since it's easier to detach due to it being set in the UK.

Not sure if it's a throwback to the comics, or just a British thing, but definitely seems like most criminals/antagonists are racially different from the protagonist. Could be my imagination too.

Anyway, show presently has two more seasons out, so going to continue with those.