Rate the last series/season you saw (TV)

The problem I had with it (and I will admit that I was not happy with the beginning of this season and stopped watching 3-4 episodes in) was that they seem to have *terrible* pacing issues.  When they have a cross-over or tie-in they're great and they have things to say and do and move forward on and when they don't they're in this terrible holding pattern where nobody can develop and nothing of substance seems to happen.

We really enjoyed the last half of last season and then felt like this season slowed back down and failed to keep up with the end of last season.

Peaky Blinders: Seasons 1-2.  7/10 This is actually kind of a mini series in that there are only 6 episodes in a season, not quite a brutal as Sherlock.

It's a some what historically based story about a street gang called Peaky Blinders in the late 19th century.  I found it captivating if a little predictable, but worth my time.  Gritty violence and poor conditions of the times are evident in the story, but what really drew my in was the military connection/background.

It is sort of the anti-Downton Abbey!  Really enjoyed it but found the transition from Season 1 to Season 2 jarring.

• Like 1

Avatar: The Legend of Korra, Seasons 1-4. Excellent. Because they'd laid down all the basic worldbuilding in the first series, they could both go more in-depth on it here, and put more work into character arcs. I particularly liked that the antagonists all had good ideals, but got twisted up through some issue or another, so that, say, Zaheer*, who wanted to bring people freedom, ended up setting the stage for the rise of a brutal dictator. But in a different context, if a few things had gone differently in his life, he could have easily been an awesome hero instead of a villain. I also liked that the "goofy/wacky" characters got less screen time. They got the balance about right here, I think. If Meelo and Wu had had as much screen time as Sokka did in the first series, they would have really messed with my enjoyment of the series as a whole, but as is, they were a nice little bit of leavening.

I feel like Seasons 3-4 were a bit stronger than Seasons 1-2, but that may just be because Seasons 1-2 had Northern Water Tribe antagonists, and I dislike basically all the NWT characters in both series.

*Also, he's voiced by Henry Rollins, which really helps him be awesome.

Sleepy Hollow just wrapped up its first Season, and it was excellent. Best intro season for something with plans this big that I've seen in a long time.

I watched this largely on your recommendation and liked the first season a lot. Just started the second, and I'm worried a bit on your other post. 

edit: Argh. I'm 10 minutes into the S02E01 and already confused. I'll keep watching but it seems like time must have passed (a year?) since the last episode.

edit2: Neeeeevermind.

• 5 weeks later...

"The world watched half of New York get destroyed."  

It has my attention.  I was passively watching up to that point.  Wasn't thinking about DD being a part of MCU.

Just finished second episode.  I am [big bad swear word]ing excited as a 12 year old finding his mom's playboy collection about Deadpool now.  The level of raw grit is like Flashpoint Paradox, if it were live action.  There has been a couple more loose references to the Avengers, without saying "Avengers."  Green Arrow could learn a thing or two from Daredevil.  Props to Disney for signing off on this grit and not sticking to G - PG13 style shows.  If Ben's movie had been this level....it would have been Spawn lol  

So far, I don't feel the typical First Season strain that i do with so many shows (looking at you Arrow).  Actually, it feels a lot like watching Law and Order, to me.  Not because of the Lawyer aspect, but the filming style, how dark the scenes have been, and other similar aspects.  Hah!  Just saw Vincent D'onofrio's name in the opening credits of the third episode.  

DD: At the end of Episode 5, I'm giving it a 4.5 out of 5, maybe a 9.5/10.   

So far, it has rewatchability for me.  I'm enjoying D'on's Kingpin.  I enjoyed MCD's Fisk in the movie, but for different reasons.  They are doing a wonderful job setting him up as a Tragic Villain.  Very Vaderesque, really.  Hmm.  He's what Merlin was trying to be, sorry Cap'n Jack.  :(  Any complaints I may have about the show, I can blame source material for.  There have been a few scenes where I rolled me eyes, but they weren't enough for me...actually, one just happened... "You do me, and then I'll do you, okay?"  Foggy and Karen playing doctor.  I understand it's purpose in the show, but it detracts from the story to me in many ways.  Although, the scene has redeemed itself very well.  Like Titanic.  Or Fight Club.

The joke about Batman, Arrow, Iron Man, priceless.  "You mean all masked vigilantes aren't playboy billionaires?"

So comparing it to Arrow, is very apt.  Very apt.  As much as I praised Arrow in earlier posts, if I had to choose one, at this point it would be DD.  I haven't read his comics outside of the Typhoid Mary crossovers with Deadpool.  I'm familiar with King Pin, because of the Spiderman cartoon, so I don't have much "cannon" or background on either of them to go off of, but I am really enjoying this interpretation of their story.  

His Superman hearing is a bit of a stretch at times.  

Some people just want to watch the world burn.  One only sees flames.

"Our enemies control jack sh!t by time we're done with them!"

Reached Episode 8: 

I wouldn't let my 10 year old watch the show, yet.  The violence is a bit rough, same with the gore at times.  It's not gratuitous, but it's more than I care for him to take in, right now.  There is a little bit of language.  I don't recall having heard the F word, but sh!t is in most episodes once or twice.  Again, not gratuitous, but it is there.  The language alone wouldn't be enough to keep it from my kid, but the violence is.  No nudity or overt sexuality, don't think there's even been a hard nipple at attention.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

"Powers" 5/10 as a show, but 7/10 if you just want another super hero one.

As a show, pretty bad. It starts with a setting like the Tick without humor - normal folk becoming mediocre super heroes in a city that's used to it. Show starts there and gradually get's darker, in a game of thrones type manner - the good characters die off and the characters you hate stick around.

The entire show is rip offs of other super hero movies, shows, and comics. There is no originality. You sometimes catch a glimpse of a moral to the story, but then you realize that the show their ripping off at the moment was the one with a message, not this one. It lacks humor and most of the characters are dis-likeable people. And each episode has horrible pacing, like they just dragged their feet. Each episode leaves you wondering why no one on their production team didn't speak up and correct the failure. The sort of show you keep watching in hopes that the other bad episodes were just a fluke (like optimism).

That said, if you just want another super hero show, it holds just enough interest to keep watching.

Once Upon a Time Season 4 

4/5

Once Upon a Time is no longer a guilty pleasure, but simply a pleasure.  The Actors are all far stronger in their roles than the first season or so.  Lots of interesting references and background developments.  One episode was dedicated to why Cruela DeVil is such a horrid bitch who hates dogs.  The lead up to Season 5 was really interesting, and I'm stoked on next season.  

Looked it up. I still stand by my evaluation of the TV series. Comics could be good, but I didn't think it was terribly original and wikipedia says it isn't even a very old comic.

Looked it up. I still stand by my evaluation of the TV series. Comics could be good, but I didn't think it was terribly original and wikipedia says it isn't even a very old comic.

I think you're missing the point. The comics are supposed to be derivative; that's the point.

Powers is kind of a meta statement on super heroes in general.

• Like 1