Teaching players

Lyraeus

TL;DNR: The simple answer to this question is to either go to where the tourney players are, or host tourneys so that they come to you.

Longer version:

Well, that is a tough question. Right now you are approaching it from a standpoint of "How do I alter the play style of other gamers to suit my needs.". And honestly, I don't think this ever works out well.

Every player comes to this hobby for different reasons. Some like painting, some like the narrative, and some like competition.

It sounds like you enjoy the competition. So the best way to do this is to either:

A) go to where the competitive players are. Which in Portland is GG.

B) start hosting competitive events at your store so that competitive minded players show up.

But "making opponents stronger" is not the way to go about it. Because that mind set coerces people into spending time and money to give you a good game; not necessarily getting a good game for themselves. And this in turn leads people to leaving the hobby all together.

• Like 1

Help your games feel more like 'coaching', when the other player obviously needs a hand.  If you see that your opponent is going to leave a piece in an exposed position,  talk him through the 'why' in a friendly manner.  Teaching him by clubbing him and tableing him, because of a mistake in turn one or two isn't going to be fun for either of you, unless you really like bragging about tableing noobs.   

Friendly coaching on their choices on the table.

Also, if you are winning you games against them, tell them how you're doing it.  From list construction to tabletop execution.  Seeing the game from a different mindset/perspective can yield some good lessons.

And keep defeating them.   People learn lots from losing, and it's a great motivator to improve.  :)

IMG_1280.PNG

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

I am the guy who likes to explain a tactic after the fact. That way they can see what happened when they did X tactic 

This is good. I really enjoy discussing the match with my opponent when the game is over and all the models are packed up. Basically go turn by turn and highlight awesome combats, one in a million bolter shots, and total whiffs.

Writing battle reports helps emmensley as well! Maybe work this into league points?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, DisruptiveConduct said:

This is good. I really enjoy discussing the match with my opponent when the game is over and all the models are packed up. Basically go turn by turn and highlight awesome combats, one in a million bolter shots, and total whiffs.

Writing battle reports helps emmensley as well! Maybe work this into league points?

Hmmmm after the game is where I tend to blank on. Oh I remember the fame but I forget those points I was thinking on.

I have a bad habit of interjecting thoughts into a game (many times not my own) but i try to do it during a lull or after I correct a rule they may of gotten wrong.

Last night for instance, two players were going at it and they had done the charging phase a bit wrong (declared all charges then Overwatched ). When they got into a charging issue of a terminato unable to get in properly due to being to close to a unit he did not declare a charge to I spoke up and explained the phase and the steps in a simple manner. After that I added a little information that was irrelevant to the situation but I wanted them to know it was a thing. 

I tried to explain that when the defender consolidates they must end closer to the nearest enemy model. This however can be taken advantage of. Let's say you are not Base to Base, you can consolidate into base to Base to that same unit but can mover AROUND the models base. Since you are the defender, you could consolidate into a position to attack someone who did not charge you this turn.

Pretty sneaky  but fun tactic that people are not yet aware of.

They did not let me show them and I understand I may of been an inappropriate time (I am not the best judge. Social situations are sort of my bane) but the way they pushed back on this hurt. I just want people, especially people who are getting started to be able to keep up or at least are not just overwhelmed too easily.  . . 

• Like 1