Rulebook FAQ and all indexes

necrontyr

Perhaps another Chaos player can clarify this for me..but what are they talking about on this one:

"Q. If Skarbrand is within 8" of model that can Fly and has a

minimum speed (such as a some Flyers), and that unit starts its

Movement phase within 1" of an enemy unit, what happens? Is

that unit destroyed because it cannot Fall Back and so cannot

move its minimum speed?

A. Correct, the unit is destroyed."

Im not seeing anything on Skarbrand`s dataslate that says anything about what would force this to happen.I assume the flyer would do its turn and fly on away otherwise.

Page 242 – Understrength Units
Change the second paragraph to read:
‘If you are using Power Ratings, you must still pay the
Power Rating cost as if you had a minimum-sized unit,
even though it contains fewer models. If you are using
points, you only pay the points for the models you
actually have in an understrength unit (and any wargear
they are equipped with). An understrength unit still
takes up the appropriate slot in a Detachment.’

This right here is a [big bad swear word] show, imo. You can basically fill out a Brigade (and get +9 command points) for super cheap (like sub 200 points). That means that most armies are going to take 3 brigades and show up with 30 CP by taking units of 1 models to fill out all the slots they aren't filling out with the rest of their army. Granted, you can only field one unit of each type in this configuration, but that means 1 conscript, 1 guard infantry, 1 SWS, etc to fill out your requisite brigade. With imperial soup, this will be really easy to do and the bonus of getting 30 CP is well worth the negative of having a lot of drops and kill points. Especially since deploying first is only +1 to the first roll in ITC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Threejacks said:

Perhaps another Chaos player can clarify this for me..but what are they talking about on this one:

"Q. If Skarbrand is within 8" of model that can Fly and has a

minimum speed (such as a some Flyers), and that unit starts its

Movement phase within 1" of an enemy unit, what happens? Is

that unit destroyed because it cannot Fall Back and so cannot

move its minimum speed?

A. Correct, the unit is destroyed."

Im not seeing anything on Skarbrand`s dataslate that says anything about what would force this to happen.I assume the flyer would do its turn and fly on away otherwise.

One of his abilities makes friend and foe within 8" unable to take morale tests and/or make fall back moves. So a plane that has a minimum move distance HAS to fall back from combat if it can't hover, but it can't if Skarbrand is within 8" and something flying has charged it. Fly only allows it to fall back and still shoot. It's still a fall back action.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pretre said:

Page 242 – Understrength Units
Change the second paragraph to read:
‘If you are using Power Ratings, you must still pay the
Power Rating cost as if you had a minimum-sized unit,
even though it contains fewer models. If you are using
points, you only pay the points for the models you
actually have in an understrength unit (and any wargear
they are equipped with). An understrength unit still
takes up the appropriate slot in a Detachment.’

This right here is a [big bad swear word] show, imo. You can basically fill out a Brigade (and get +9 command points) for super cheap (like sub 200 points). That means that most armies are going to take 3 brigades and show up with 30 CP by taking units of 1 models to fill out all the slots they aren't filling out with the rest of their army. Granted, you can only field one unit of each type in this configuration, but that means 1 conscript, 1 guard infantry, 1 SWS, etc to fill out your requisite brigade. With imperial soup, this will be really easy to do and the bonus of getting 30 CP is well worth the negative of having a lot of drops and kill points. Especially since deploying first is only +1 to the first roll in ITC.

Someone said you can only do this less-than-minimum unit thing one time - is that true? Not sure where they were getting that 

1 minute ago, Dusldorf said:

Someone said you can only do this less-than-minimum unit thing one time - is that true? Not sure where they were getting that 

One time per unit of that type

UNDERSTRENGTH UNITS
Each unit’s datasheet will describe how many models
make up that unit. Sometimes you may find that you
do not have enough models to field a minimum-sized
unit; if this is the case, you can still include one unit
of that type in your army with as many models as you
have available.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pretre said:

One of his abilities makes friend and foe within 8" unable to take morale tests and/or make fall back moves. So a plane that has a minimum move distance HAS to fall back from combat if it can't hover, but it can't if Skarbrand is within 8" and something flying has charged it. Fly only allows it to fall back and still shoot. It's still a fall back action.

wut...I have the dataslate in front of me and it shows no such ability at all,,I have the Digital(enhanced) edition..is the hard copy different?

Hes listed in the Daemons of Khorne section,correct?

Q. Can you clarify what the difference is between ‘wholly within’
and ‘within’ for rules purposes?
A. If a rule says it affects units/models that are ‘wholly
within’ then it only applies if the entire unit/model is
within. If it just says ‘within’, however, then it applies so
long as any part of the unit/model is within.
For example, units gain the benefit of cover if every
model in the unit is either on or within terrain. So long
as all the models in that unit are either on or partially
within the terrain, they gain the benefit of cover.
Much better wording for that than the previous answer.

Q. Can abilities that are used ‘instead of shooting’, such as
Smoke Launchers, be used if the model using them has Fallen
Back, Advanced or has enemy models within 1" of it?
A. Yes. A model can use such an ability so long as it does
not shoot – it does not matter whether this is because the
model cannot shoot or it chooses not to.
Nice to be able to go fast with Vehicles and still pop smoke.

Blood Angels got their Meltagun Assault Squads back.

Anyone who fields a full Brigade (let alone multiple Detachments) made up of a majority of "understrength units" has officially crossed out of That Guy territory into the realm of That F---ing Guy.

I don't mind allowing a person to put an understrength unit or two on the table when it's a result of a new gamer or a person starting a new army without the "correct" number of models but still making an honest effort at fair play. Starter boxes don't always come with just the right numbers, budget conscious gamers may have bought second hand models in odd lots, and that sort of thing.

I'm willing to let my opponent fudge things like unit numbers or proxy models. That's good sportsmanship... But good sportsmanship is a two way exchange. 

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, PumpkinHead said:

GSC purestrain genestealers are now 10 pts. So now they are cheaper then Tyranids genestealers and have the cult abmush rule. 

This isn't as nonsensical as it seems. Tyranid Genestealers are costed relative to the Tyranid army list as a whole, not relative to other army lists. Likewise, GSC Genestealers are costed relative to the GSC army list as a whole.

Allow me to use a somewhat exaggerated hypothetical to illustrate: If the Imperial Guard could use Drop Pods, they'd be differently priced than they are in the Space Marines army list, right? The passengers would be far less efficient than marines, the rest of the army list wouldn't be as efficient at supporting them / working in concert with them, etcetera. 

• Like 2

No more hellions or scourges in transports, damn. They forgot about beast masters though :wink:

Stinger pistols finally do something now, but they're still horribly over priced. 

Starcannons only doing D3 instead of a flat 3 is huge. 

I'm surprised they didn't change necrotoxin missiles to be assault D6 instead of assault 6. I was sure that's a typo. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ish said:

Anyone who fields a full Brigade (let alone multiple Detachments) made up of a majority of "understrength units" has officially crossed out of That Guy territory into the realm of That F---ing Guy.

I don't mind allowing a person to put an understrength unit or two on the table when it's a result of a new gamer or a person starting a new army without the "correct" number of models but still making an honest effort at fair play. Starter boxes don't always come with just the right numbers, budget conscious gamers may have bought second hand models in odd lots, and that sort of thing.

I'm willing to let my opponent fudge things like unit numbers or proxy models. That's good sportsmanship... But good sportsmanship is a two way exchange. 

As much as I agree and won't do it, if it's legal, expect to see it.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, pretre said:

One time per unit of that type

UNDERSTRENGTH UNITS
Each unit’s datasheet will describe how many models
make up that unit. Sometimes you may find that you
do not have enough models to field a minimum-sized
unit; if this is the case, you can still include one unit
of that type in your army with as many models as you
have available.

A Brigade is very expensive to fill out. . . You need what, 6 troops, and 3 of everything else? Not to mention 3 HQ units. It is a lot harder to acquire than you think.

The one below that that gives you 3 CP is a little easier but you still need 2 HQ and 2 troops. Easier to do and I made a Poxwalker list with 3 of those Detachments but it only had 120 Poxwalkers some deathguard 5 of the malignant casters and typhus

44 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

A Brigade is very expensive to fill out. . . You need what, 6 troops, and 3 of everything else? Not to mention 3 HQ units. It is a lot harder to acquire than you think.

The one below that that gives you 3 CP is a little easier but you still need 2 HQ and 2 troops. Easier to do and I made a Poxwalker list with 3 of those Detachments but it only had 120 Poxwalkers some deathguard 5 of the malignant casters and typhus

It's very easy to fill because you can fill a detachment with units from any faction, so long as they share a keyword. So for heavies you could take an AM heavy weapons team, for elites you could take a daemonhost, etc...

1 hour ago, Lyraeus said:

If you want to get the 9 c.p,s just do 3 battalions with nurgle .Per battalion it's a minimum of 2 heralds and 3 nurglings ,total points each bat is 320....do that three times for 960 then you have 1040 left to try and kill some stuff with,lol

This is assuming detachment types can be duplicated..

HQ - Comp Comm - 30
HQ - Comp Comm - 30
HQ - Comp Comm - 30

Elite - UnderStr Special Weapon Squad - 4
Elite - UnderStr Ratling - 5
Elite - Understr Veteran - 6

Troop - UnderStr Conscript - 3
Troop - UnderStr Infantry Squad - 4
Troop - UnderStr Scions - 9
Troop - UnderStr Battle Sisters - 9
Troop - UnderStr Scout - 11
Troop - UnderStr Tactical - 13

Fast - UnderStr Dominion - 10
Fast - UnderStr Rough Rider - 8
Fast - UnderStr Fenrisian Wolves - 9

Heavy - Understr Retributor - 9
Heavy - Understr HW Squad with Mortar - 9
Heavy - Understr Dev Squad - 13

Sorry, 212. Sub 200 was before I found out you couldn't duplicate. I'm sure you could find some cheaper choices if you looked.

• Like 1