OFCC list creation double checks.

Just a few I need to be sure I have right...

1: The General can be *any* model in the army, not just heroes, right?

2: I, with reinforcement points, can summon units outside of my starting army?

3: If a summoning spell fails to cast (either because I roll poorly, or because an enemy successfully counterspells), do I lose reinforcement points as if the unit had been destroyed?

4: The 1st rule of one, prevents me from attempting the same summon spell, a second time, right?

5: Wounds dealt to a single model, in excess of their total wounds, are then applied to rest of their unit (if any), right? 

6: The AoS OFCC is a soft event, like the 40k one. We aren't trying to make OP lists, right?

7: Death faction has several different abilities where I roll dice to ignore wounds. If I have more than one affecting a given model, do we use the best, or do I roll all of them?

I've really only played AoS, at most, 10 times, and only a single game with the General's Handbook. These are the ones that really matter for my list creation. 

19 minutes ago, WestRider said:

I don't know all of them, but:
2) Yes
3) No
4) You cannot attempt to cast it again that same Turn, but can cast it again in later Turns
5) Yes
7) You get to use all of them. This was confirmed in the FAQ.

Thanks.

Yeah, #1 and #6 would be OFCC specific ones, rather than regular rules questions. 

Rulebook says *any* model can be the general, but I've heard that some events do things differently. The main thing is that if the General isn't a hero, then they can't take any artefacts.

Oh, Death faction has a command ability which either adds +1 cast and unbinding to wizards, or for non-wizards, makes them wizards with Arcane Bolt and Mystic Shield. Does not mention spell or unbinding attempts per turn, so is there a general FAQ that states the number allowed it if it fails to mention this in the text? This can't be an unique issue to the death faction. 

2 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Oh, Death faction has a command ability which either adds +1 cast and unbinding to wizards, or for non-wizards, makes them wizards with Arcane Bolt and Mystic Shield. Does not mention spell or unbinding attempts per turn, so is there a general FAQ that states the number allowed it if it fails to mention this in the text? This can't be an unique issue to the death faction. 

That ability would allow one cast attempt per turn and one unbind attempt per turn.Basically its one each unless otherwise specified.

For OFCC and pretty much any formal events,,only Heros can be your General.Now I know that early in the game,duiring the first year or so,,running with a unit champ as your General was a thing,,ive done it with NG`s.However its not seen much anylonger as I believe there are more spells and abilities that can target models within units now,,not really sure though.

As for OFCC this year being "Hard" for AoS,,well we did go with a more competative slant to it in order to entice more players being since most seem to want competative events.I think though for the most part there may be a few face stomp lists but for the most part I think everyone will be rather middling.Also keep in mind that some of us have been playing alot while others(like yourself) havent gotten much time to, so list build may not play into the overall results as much as just outright experience with the game and how your army performs against other matchups.

9 hours ago, Threejacks said:

For OFCC and pretty much any formal events,,only Heros can be your General.Now I know that early in the game,duiring the first year or so,,running with a unit champ as your General was a thing,,ive done it with NG`s.However its not seen much anylonger as I believe there are more spells and abilities that can target models within units now,,not really sure though..

So, is it just that it's a bad idea, or is there actually a rule against having a non-hero General? OFCC or otherwise...And if it is banned, is there a balance issue(?), or is it just banned for the sake of banning it?

If wondering, the idea would be to run a Morghast Harbinger or Morghast Archai as my General. They come in units of 2 models, so it would be hardly different running a General-hero as unit of 1. Profile-wise, they are strong melee units with good mobility and a profile to suggest that they are non-monster heroes (240pts per unit of 2). For points, that's probably one of the better General options in terms of abilities for the Death faction, without taking incredibly OP (and point draining) units (like Nagash, Neferata, or Mannfred). Arkhan is decent, but I think he's better spent not being the General. 

EDIT: Looking through that OFCC AoS info from the other thread. Looks like, for OFCC, *any* model in my army can be my general. Might still be a bad idea, but seems to be legal. (if this isn't intended to be the legal for the OFCC, please contact me ASAP)

8 hours ago, paxmiles said:

So, is it just that it's a bad idea, or is there actually a rule against having a non-hero General? OFCC or otherwise...And if it is banned, is there a balance issue(?), or is it just banned for the sake of banning it?

If wondering, the idea would be to run a Morghast Harbinger or Morghast Archai as my General. They come in units of 2 models, so it would be hardly different running a General-hero as unit of 1. Profile-wise, they are strong melee units with good mobility and a profile to suggest that they are non-monster heroes (240pts per unit of 2). For points, that's probably one of the better General options in terms of abilities for the Death faction, without taking incredibly OP (and point draining) units (like Nagash, Neferata, or Mannfred). Arkhan is decent, but I think he's better spent not being the General. 

EDIT: Looking through that OFCC AoS info from the other thread. Looks like, for OFCC, *any* model in my army can be my general. Might still be a bad idea, but seems to be legal. (if this isn't intended to be the legal for the OFCC, please contact me ASAP)

Since it was never specified that an army General must be a Hero you can go ahead and choose any model to be your General.For the Death faction and most all other armies that have yet to get Battletomes,,its certainly a viable option.The things that make choosing a unit champ or rank and flie model in a unit unfavorable are mostly releated to the abilities and artifacts that are available to armies allegiances that have Battletomes,alot of those are only usable on heros,,and the matter that,in matched play,an army general has no point value for being killed at all,and has no objectives attatched to them.Ive only heared of one competative army build that uses a rank and file unit general and that was last year,,an ogre army I think it was,in most all cases a hero general is usually a better choice due to the ability to give them an artifact.

One thing to note about this,even though the matched play rules state to choose a "unit" to be your General,,you must then choose a model from that unit to be your General as per the 4 page base rules.A unit of 40 infantry do NOT count as a players General.So abilties given to the General in cases were they are embeded in a unit only apply the the model chosen to be the General.

Im sure there are event comps that require a Hero to be the General,we just didnt go that route with OFCC,,no biggie though,build and play whats fun:)

1 hour ago, Threejacks said:

The things that make choosing a unit champ or rank and flie model in a unit unfavorable are mostly releated to the abilities and artifacts that are available to armies allegiances that have Battletomes,alot of those are only usable on heros,,and the matter that,in matched play,an army general has no point value for being killed at all,and has no objectives attatched to them.Ive only heared of one competative army build that uses a rank and file unit general and that was last year,,an ogre army I think it was,in most all cases a hero general is usually a better choice due to the ability to give them an artifact.

One thing to note about this,even though the matched play rules state to choose a "unit" to be your General,,you must then choose a model from that unit to be your General as per the 4 page base rules.A unit of 40 infantry do NOT count as a players General.So abilties given to the General in cases were they are embeded in a unit only apply the the model chosen to be the General.

Im sure there are event comps that require a Hero to be the General,we just didnt go that route with OFCC,,no biggie though,build and play whats fun:)

If you read it closely, the General, even if not a Hero, is eligible for the Grand Alliance Faction Command Ability. Correct, they cannot take an artefact. And Correct, it must be a specific model, not a unit.

Additionally, I intend to do some extra modeling to make my general more noticable over his buddy from that unit. I'm thinking a Crown...

Yeah,,you can give the chosen "model" a command  trait,,also those traits are in effect all the time,,it doesnt replace the Inspiring Presence default trait they are given.I point this out as some have thought that they acted like it was a command ability( I did at first as well,heh).

For Death,,ive seen a Vamp Lord on Dragon usually made the General so they can do the Red thrist ability,,or whatever one gives them the additional attacks on exploding dice thing,,dont rem off hand what that is but something like that.Or they use Setra for his command ability.

16 minutes ago, Threejacks said:

For Death,,ive seen a Vamp Lord on Dragon usually made the General so they can do the Red thrist ability,,or whatever one gives them the additional attacks on exploding dice thing,,dont rem off hand what that is but something like that.Or they use Setra for his command ability.

Don't own either of those. Both are rather expensive models, in points. 

Regarding Red *Fury*, ability only triggers if I can roll "under" the wounds I already inflicted. So, it's planning for failure, as it only triggers if I deal very little damage. Good for a weak general, but less and less useful to more capable your general is. I'm debating it for the Morghast General, since he's right in the middle of being not weak, but also not super strong. 

If I go with Archai, I'd go with Ruler of the Night, as it makes the more durable version of the Morghast, even more durable. If I go the with the Harbinger, it would be Red Fury or Supernatural Horror (AoE that doubles the number of models that flee from battleshock). Really wish I could mix Morghast types within the same unit...