Post Apocalypse Koyote

Koyote

The next batch of models are six more 'nuisance' level creatures.  These wasteland degenerates are Trogs.  They are a race of subterranean dwelling descendants of humanity.  Exposure to radiation, living underground, and lord knows what else, has caused them to devolve into savage brutes.  They are essentially stronger, but dumber Morlocks.  

The minis are Corelocks from Lucid Eye Productions' Savage Core model line.  In keeping with H.G. Wells' description of the Morlock, these models are a bit short in stature. This made the crouching models quite short, so I boosted their height by posing them on barrels and crates.

nDjhEP.png

• Like 1

This big fella is a Vendo.  The Vendo made its entrance into the TNT universe in the early TNT supplement, Kickstart the Wasteland and its likeness has been most recently recreated for the cover of the Going It Alone supplement.  A Vendo is exactly what it looks like, and robotic vending machine.  How it manages to keep itself stocked after all these centuries is anyone's guess.   

A Vendo may be hired by any warband as a Freelancer.  At the end of every scenario there is a 90% chance that it will add 2 to 10 barterscript worth of scrounged goods to the warband's inventory.

This wonderfully creative model is made by Worlds End Publishing.  It has a resin body and white metal arms.  It's a tad too large to fit on a 25mm base so I mounted 32mm base.

By painting it red I didn't exhibit a tremendous amount of imagination, but as a Coca-Cola drinker I felt compelled to do so.  I added my own touches by painting a diagonal white stripe on each side and covering it with bullet holes and other battle damage. This particular robot has had a rough couple of centuries.

Vendo
WuVl0M.jpg

• Like 3

Below is my Trog test model.  This is my first attempt at painting extreme white albino-like flesh.  It took a couple of tries, but I think it turned out ok.

Photographing white models is difficult. Too much light and the white parts become washed out/flattened and it is difficult to perceive curves and different surfaces. Too little light and everything turns out dark.  I tried to hit the right balance with this photo, but it’s still a bit off the mark.  

UOxr9f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/13/2020 at 10:14 AM, Koyote said:

One of the creatures on TNT's Nuisance Creatures table is the Wild Mutant. I used CP Model's mutated zombie minis to make my first three Wild Mutants.  The mins with the big bellies aren't mutated enough for my liking, so is used GW Chaos bits and greenstuff to give them more obvious mutations.  Wild Mutants aren't zombies, so I painted their skin using my normal recipe for flesh.  I  didn't patch the open wounds.  I figure life in wasteland is very harsh for these feral, half-mad creatures, so open wounds and sores are inevitable.

Fp3VyR.jpg

In TNT, Nuisance level creatures are encountered in groups of 4-6 models.  With the addition of these 3 mutants (made by Crooked Dice Game Design Studio) I will have enough models to field 6 Wild Mutants.

When fielded together, 5 out of the 6 Wild Mutants will be shirtless.  Apparently losing your shirt is one of the first things you do when you become a Wild Mutant. 🙂

Aside from a football shaped head, the model on the left bears no obvious sign of mutation, so I added a horn to its forehead.

The right arm of the model on the right ended in a spiked mace-like appendage.  The mace-hand was kind of lame, so I replaced most of the arm with a tentacle.

bifkKx.png

• Thanks 1

RN Estudio sells 3D resin casts, 3D sculplting serves, and they will even print your STL files for you.  They appear to be based in Spain. 

LINKY

I purchased some Punkapocalyptic minis from the online retailer, Noble Knight Games. These minis came in Punkapocalyptic packaging but don't appear in Punkapocalyptic's online store.  RN Estudio sells these same minis, so my guess is that RN Estudio does design and possibly production work for Bad Roll Games (the maker of Punkapocalyptic).

I purchased the following two minis for my TNT Raider warband, The Jackalopes.  I'll report back on the quality of the 3D casts/prints when they arrive.

TVKfyU.png

RwlvSk.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These are the random encounter tables I've been working from.  Creatures marked WIP are models that I own, but haven't yet been painted.  I'm still shopping around for the models marked 'WANT'.

My obsessive nature compels me to collect and paint some of these beasties, but not all of them.  Eight creatures types from the Nuisance table and six creature types from the other two tables will give my games a good variety of creature types. 😉

My rad dog models can pull double duty as Chupacabra or Wild dogs.  They could serve as Plague Carriers and Waste Wolves as well.

I've replaced Mud Crabs with Giant Rats.  Giant Rats are in the TNT bestiary but they didn't make it onto the Nuisance Creatures table.

PA9rbW.png

I've very pleased with my most recent additions.  I've purchased 3 Overwhelming Swarms - Ooze models to use as Toxic Jelly.  These models were made by Whizkids.  The plan is to put them on proper bases, apply a coat of gloss varnish to make the models look wet and gooey, and call it good.  Easy-peasy.

kbfcCj.png

• Like 2

I’m assuming that the entry for “Them” is referring to gigantic ants, as in the classic of the creature feature drive-in era: Them!

I don’t know if anyone makes a good scale-model ant, but AMT has a giant tarantula model that’s about 5” long... roughly 25’ in scale. It’ll look a lot more realistic than something like a GW Araknorok Spider.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ish said:

I’m assuming that the entry for “Them” is referring to gigantic ants, as in the classic of the creature feature drive-in era: Them!

Yup. Giant ants.

The author does plenty of borrowing from other works. Sometime it's very obvious, other times a little less so.

The Preservers are one of the 6 warband types in the core rulebook.  Clearly, he borrowed the warband's underlying philosophy from the classic post-apoc novel, A Canticle for Leibowitz.

ZLBd8a.png

nJBu0P.png

• Like 1

When I started university in ‘99, the campus’s sci-fi and fantasy literature club (which was also the gaming club) was named The Society of Leibowitz. They’d been established back in the “Tolkien Hippie Boom” of the mid-to-late Sixties and were the oldest continuously operating student organization on campus... and apparently I was the youngest person to grok the reference in their name. They changed it to the “Oakland University Sci-Fi/Fantasy Fan Club” a few weeks into the school year.

Darn shame. Canticle is a under-appreciated classic of the genre...

50 minutes ago, PourSpelur said:

What's the description of the Psychic Husk on your "want" list?

I'm in the shopping phase of a new conversion army so I'm looking at a lot of the smaller caster sites right now. Happy to keep an eye open, any other needs?

Z87jn8.png

I already have one of the Psychic Husk models made by World's End Publishing, the company that makes TNT.  However, 'Dangerous' creatures appear in packs of 3, so I need two more and I'd like some variety. 

8hXF7N.png

I haven't spent any time looking for them yet, but I imagine there are ghost or spirit models that would work.  Instead of painting them ghost-like, I'd paint them like a corporeal model with pale skin and black eye sockets.

• Like 1

f97A5s.png

My original idea for a Plague Carrier was to use a converted GW plague bearer (I have a few left over from my Mordheim Carnival of Chaos project), but after digging through my many boxes and bags of unused minis, I happened upon the minis from the Black Crab Miniatures 2: Necropolis Scum Kickstarter.  These miniatures were inspired by the drawings of Black Crab Art artist, Moritz.  I haven't had the occasion to use any of these wonderfully morose and wretched miniatures, but using one to represent the bringer of plague and death to a post-apocalyptic wasteland seems quite fitting.

The mini is 28mm scale, but its a tad large, so I mounted it on a 32mm round.  This gave me room to put a sizeable pile of bones on the base to further emphasis the idea that this fellow is the bringer of death.  

I added to the model a satchel containing a severed arm and foot (from the Mantic Games ghoul sprue) to add a bit more creepiness to this model.

EdfZOg.png

• Like 2

It’s probably too late, but could you rotate the figure 180° so that the animal carcass is behind him?

I know that it’s basic miniature design theory to put these little scenic bitz in front of or beside the figure, since that’s the angle it will be viewed from primarily. But in this instance, placing the decorative bitz behind him will emphasis the “leaves a trail of devastation behind him” schtick.

It might also be cool to use your greenstuff sculpting skills to add some skin to the animal carcass, so it’s not a skeleton of a horse, but one that has dropped dead of some sort of wasting disease.

(I also find it morbidly hilarious that he’s got a bandana around his neck like an improperly worn mask... and you just know he doesn’t have any hand sanitizer in that satchel.)

• Like 1

It's funny that you mention rotating the model.  I had the same idea and had experimented with it for a bit.  Problem is, the bones take up too much space, so repositioning the model in this way left the model shoved to the front of the base with a big (mostly) empty area behind it.  You can have a model near the front of a base if there is scenery on the base behind the model that is the model's height or taller.

To make the bones/remains on the ground gimmick work, I would have to put the model on a much larger base with room enough both in front of and behind the model for basing details.

Adding some skin/hide to the animal skull and rib cage is a great idea. 

I hadn't thought about the scarf or even about connecting the model to the current pandemic.  Clever.  Being an anti-masker or someone who doesn't take communicable diseases seriously would seem to fit Plague Carrier's M.O..

• Like 1

For the last few days its been too hot to paint, so I've been using my nightly 2-3  hours of hobby time to assemble and prep models for painting.  Last night I worked on my Wastewolves,

4PFFm5.png

MTkDaK.png

These models are OOP Dire Wolves from Redbox Games.  I mounted them on 32mm rounds and used bits from Green Stuff World's Dump Yard Plates and resin bottles and cans from Tabletop Art's Beverage Bottles and Cans set, to add a wasteland feel to the bases.  I still need to glue sand to the bases to add texture.

OW3mZg.png

• Haha 1

As I paint the six Trogs and the Trog King, I take breaks to assemble and prep other models for paint.

The Whizkid's Ooze arrived in the mail yesterday.  Getting them off their bases was a chore.  I had to saw through the very bottom of each model to free them from their original bases.

I attached each model to its new base with a tiny dab of super glue, and then added scattered bones and texture to the bases.  

Now that the texture is dry, I am going to pop the models off of their bases.  This will allow me to quickly primer and paint each base.  Once the bases  are done, I will reattach the models, brush gloss varnish onto the Ooze, and call it good.

d287Nv.png

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...