FAQ Updates

pretre

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/23/updated-faqs-and-boots-on-the-groundgw-homepage-post-2/

Posted 23/07/2017

Updated FAQs and Boots on the Ground

40kFAQ-Stamp.jpg

With the release of Warhammer 40,000, our hard-working rules writers haven’t stopped looking for ways to make the game even better. We’ve been listening to your feedback as well as talking with our team of playtesters to find out what’s working in the new edition and what needs some adjustment or clarification. Today, we’re updating the FAQs, as well as making some changes to Flyers in matched play games.

Firstly, we’re providing an updated series of FAQs; like the previous versions, these are designed to make your games run more smoothly and incorporate some of the most raised questions from you guys on Facebook, and from our dedicated playtesting team.

40kFAQ-Download-RulebookFAQ.jpg 40kFAQ-Download-IndexImp1FAQ.jpg40kFAQ-Download-IndexImp2FAQ.jpg40kFAQ-Download-IndexXen1FAQ.jpg40kFAQ-Download-IndexXen2FAQ.jpg40kFAQ-Download-IndexChaosFAQ.jpg 40kFAQ-Download-Commentary.jpg40kFAQ-Download-Step.jpg

Flyers have also been adjusted in light of some feedback from your matched play games. The design team want Warhammer 40,000 to be as fun as possible for as many players as possible, but we’ve noticed that a couple of army lists and certain units were crowding out other options. Now you’ll need to have feet on the ground (or tentacles, hooves, claws, or tracks) to win your games. Flyers are just as powerful as they were before, but now players are encouraged to take more diverse and unusual armies. It’s worth noting that this change only applies to matched play, and in open and narrative play, you’re still as free as ever to reenact dogfights and aerial battles with sky-fleets of your own – Death from the Skies, in the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook, even has special rules for this.

40kBattlePrimer_GER.jpg40kBattlePrimer_SPA.jpg40kBattlePrimer_FRA.jpg40kBattlePrimer_ITA.jpg40kBattlePrimer_JPN.jpg40kBattlePrimer_SimpCHN.jpg

If you’ve got any more questions, feel free to ask them on our Facebook page and we’ll submit them to the Rules team for review for the next round of FAQs – in the meantime, enjoy your games!

• Like 2

Page 242
– Understrength Units
Change the second paragraph to read:
‘If you are using Power Ratings, you must still pay
the Power Rating cost as if you had a minimum-sized
unit, even though it contains fewer models. If you are
using points, you only pay the points for the models
you actually have in an understrength unit (and any
wargear they are equipped with). An understrength
unit still takes up the appropriate slot in a Detachment.
If you are playing a matched play game, you can
only include an understrength unit in an Auxiliary
Support Detachment.
  • Like 4

Holy crap, Flyer nerf

Page 215
– Sudden Death
Change point 2 to read:
‘If at the end of any turn after the first battle round, one
player has no models on the battlefield, the game ends
immediately and their opponent automatically wins a
crushing victory. When determining if a player has any
units on the battlefield, do not include any units with
the Flyer Battlefield Role – these units cannot operate
within a combat airspace indefinitely and they cannot
hold territory without ground support. Furthermore, do
not include any units with the Fortification Battlefield
Role unless they have a unit embarked inside – even the
most formidable bastion requires a garrison if it is to
pose a threat.’
  • Like 7

Damn, couldn't they have waited one more week? Looks like I'm re-writing my OFCC list again...

I do enjoy that they've forgotten to prohibit beastmasters from embarking in raiders and venoms for 2 FAQs now. I guess your hoverboard can't fit in a transport unless you're wearing an alien skull as a hat. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pretre said:

Holy crap, Flyer nerf

Page 215
– Sudden Death
Change point 2 to read:
‘If at the end of any turn after the first battle round, one
player has no models on the battlefield, the game ends
immediately and their opponent automatically wins a
crushing victory. When determining if a player has any
units on the battlefield, do not include any units with
the Flyer Battlefield Role – these units cannot operate
within a combat airspace indefinitely and they cannot
hold territory without ground support. Furthermore, do
not include any units with the Fortification Battlefield
Role unless they have a unit embarked inside – even the
most formidable bastion requires a garrison if it is to
pose a threat.’

What if the flyers have units aboard them,,is it safe to assume they dont count as being "on the battlefield"?

1 hour ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

But they are. You aren't trying to tell me they are in Tactical Reserve. You aren't trying to tell me they've been removed as casualties. Therefore, they are on the battlefield. 

The transport rules say to "remove the unit from the battlefield and place it to one side" when they embark on a transport.

I don't see how they could be "removed from the battlefield" and "on the battlefield" at the same time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Munkie said:

The transport rules say to "remove the unit from the battlefield and place it to one side" when they embark on a transport.

I don't see how they could be "removed from the battlefield" and "on the battlefield" at the same time.

Gw addressed this in the comments- if you only have flyers on the table you lose. Being embarked is off the table. 

Also this change to Sudden Death doesn't do [big bad swear word] until flyers can no longer screen characters. Good luck killing Guilliman (or similarly resilient character) when he's hiding behind a wall of Stormravens. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, SigurdBC said:

Curse you GW! Why did you have to find out about the Tempest Hammer? I thought I was clever when I found the loophole about the Tempest Hammer not getting the -1 to hit. Oh well, I guess I won't be spending those extra 5pts anymore sigh.

I thought it was intentional since they were more expensive, but no. :(

• Like 1

On 23/07/2017 at 11:40 AM, JMGraham said:

The change to re-rolls is noteworthy. No more re-rolling any of the dice for a failed charge; now you have to re-roll all of them (unless you use a command point for the single die). 

This whole debate could have been avoided if GW didn't insist on using "dice" as singular and plural. I know that it's grammatically correct, but using the singular "die" and plural "dice" is equally correct and much easier to parse.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ish said:

This whole debate could have been avoided if GW didn't insist on using "dice" as singular and plural. I know that it's grammatically correct, but using the singular "die" and plural "dice" is equally correct and much easier to parse.

I agree that they should do that, but I don't think it would've avoided a debate. That ruling is a complete reversal of what the rulebook says about re-rolls. 

"Some rules allow you to re-roll a dice roll, which means you get to roll some or all of the dice again."

So they weren't clarifying their ambiguous use of plurals, they were changing their mind about how much control you have when a rule tells you you can re-roll a 2D6, 3D6, etc. roll. 

Either way, re-rolling charge distance is way less good now. It's on par with re-rolling any non-cumulative di(c)e rolls. 

3 hours ago, Munkie said:

I agree that they should do that, but I don't think it would've avoided a debate. That ruling is a complete reversal of what the rulebook says about re-rolls. 

"Some rules allow you to re-roll a dice roll, which means you get to roll some or all of the dice again."

So they weren't clarifying their ambiguous use of plurals, they were changing their mind about how much control you have when a rule tells you you can re-roll a 2D6, 3D6, etc. roll. 

Either way, re-rolling charge distance is way less good now. It's on par with re-rolling any non-cumulative di(c)e rolls. 

Some re-rolls do have you only re-roll some of the dice, while some make you re-roll all of them. I can't think of any great examples in 8th, but Fleet vs. Jump Infantry vs. 'Ere We Go on Charge rolls in 7th covered the need for that line perfectly. The problem arises when they don't follow that up by specifying for each and every re-roll whether it's one, some, or all dice that need to get re-rolled.

I have read the latest update July 2017. Has there been any point changes to any lists?  I only see rules issues and faqs. I ask because I tried using battlescribe to build an Ork army it was so far off in points as to be useless, 3 different 2000 point lists it was off at least 350 points it was always showing higher then should be.Examples include 60 points for 10 gretchin that should be 30, 17 points for nobs in all units (p126 of xenos 2 rulebook clearly states otherwise. followed by an example on p.127), 10 points for bomb squigs book says 0 points each. Each time I made a list with battlescribe it was very off from the Xenos 2  book in composition and points.

I want to be sure I have not missed something. Thanks